• Diplomacy
    Germany gets 2 rolls
    Spain is the biggest neutral power in Europe and already as -2 position

unlike technology, you do not have to select targets of all rolls before rolling
    however, Germany puts 2 roll @ Spain
    DiceRolls: 2@1; Total Hits: 12@1: (1, 4)

Japan gets 1 roll, puts them @ Spain too
    DiceRolls: 1@1; Total Hits: 01@1: (3)

• 1 hit
    Spain is put to -3 position (its income goes to Axis)

it now cannot be converted to Allies via peaceful means (diplomacy cannot convert neutrals to your side once it reached +3 or -3)

it can continue -4 or -5 via diplomacy though

Germany takes the income (4 IPC) in this case because it was the one that bought it to -3

G1-diplomacy.AAM

• wow! have you got this into a program for online play?

looks promising.

• I just used the abattlemap revised map
    the small border changes are just on the surface
    so you’ve got to be careful

anyway when I get the time I’ll make all the boxes
    (just like how AARe abattlemap keeps track of their D-Day and NAP)

• I’ve got a couple of questions about A&A HE, and I’m not sure where to ask them, so I’ll try here.  My friends and I are trying to play with the map which includes Italy separate.

#1  Starting:  The reference cards show Japan starting with 30 IPC’s, but Japan’s starting territories add up to be 32. Which is correct?

#2  Starting:  If Germany now counts as a 20, then does that mean that Rocket attacks and SBRs could now take up tp 20 away?  That seems a little too powerful.

#3  Starting:  The country setup cards don’t represent the HE map with Italy correctly.  Norway is now Norway/Finland, Western Europe is now Western Europe/Vichy France, Southern Erope is now Southern Europe/Italy, and Australia is now Eastern Australia/Western Australia, but the setup cards still show the same as A&A Revised.

#4  Starting:  Why is there a discrepency between some setup cards?  This is basically only with Germany.  The difference is as follows:  Artillery–2 on Germany, 2 on Western Europe, 1 on Eastern Europe, and 1 on Balkans versus Artillery–0 on Germany, 0 on Western Europe, 0 on Eastern Europe, 0 on Balkans, 1 on Ukraine, 1 on West Russia, and 1 on Algeria.  This is a total difference of 3 Artillery units or 12 IPCs.

#5  Neutrals/Diplomacy:  If you raise a neutral power’s level to +5/-5, then what happens?  The rules just say that they are now fully commited to your side, so we are playing that the troops, if any, now belong to the Allies/Axis team which raised the neutral power’s side to +5/-5 with the troops changing to the nearest Allied/Axis capital. (not counting Italy which doesn’t get a diplomacy roll)

#6  Neutrals/Diplomacy:  What happens if the Axis sway Sweden to -3 which means that Germany now receives an extra 2 IPCs per turn and then England takes over Sweden?  Does England now receive the extra 2 IPCs?  If so, then what keeps America from runing a couple of tanks down to South America to gobble up the extra 4 IPCs per turn?

#7  Neutrals/Diplomacy:  Why doesn’t Italy get a diplomacy die?  Or, at least let them roll at a 0 so that they could roll if they have a bonus+1, +2, or +3.

#8  Neutrals/Diplomacy:  Why do you roll for the Sahara?  It should just be an automatic that anyone could fly over it, and anyone could cross it, but no blitzing across because of the desert.

• Hi, thanks for your feedback.
    You have neatly formatted your questions.

I trust you have the latest rulebook.
    Otherwise links are at my signature.

#1 32 IPC is correct. The “AARHE 1942 Italy map” has Japan on 32 IPC by giving 1 IPC to Caroline Islands and Solomon Islands. The reference card is made for the “AARHE standard” map that why it says 30 IPC.

#2 In AARHE SBR+rocket damage is capped to per round so its not as heavy as original game. The map was pulled together quickly for a 6th player Italy. There are plans to remake it.

#3 Yep the reference card is made for the “AARHE standard” map unfortunately. That map is almost identical to original game.

#4 Do you mean different between setup cards and setup icons on the map? Show me the setup card. It might be an older version.

#5 In the lastest rulebook the territory+troops goes to the nation that initially bought it to +3/-3. After that it can’t be targetted by diplomacy rolls. The only time we consider nearest Axis/Allies capital is when it is invaded.

#6 When Axis sways Sweden to -3, the nation that did it gains the territory. When UK then invades Sweden the nation immediately joins Axis with the closest capital, which is probably Germany.
    Then battle occurs and if UK wins, it gains the territory.
    Yes, nothing stops US from taking South America.
    Note in the latest rule Peru and Argentina is mountainous which means land units defend at +1  on first cycle of combat.

#7 The idea was that Italy was not influential enough compard to the other world powers. But AARHE is open to comments and community feedback.

#8 Yes its funny isn’t it. So we’ve later removed neutrals like Sahara Angola Mozambique from the neutrals table of army/initial position/income.

• Yes your looking at old files for number 4. That was corrected long ago.

The system is intuitive. Once you play a game you will ‘see’ what were getting at and feel its merit has solved all the issues of abstraction in the OOB game in a more meaningful way. The rules are not necessarily more complicated, but only involve a few more steps to get a little more ‘juice’ out of playing because the capabilities of each nation and its forces are historically justified.

• Some bits saves time and trouble like:

*whole team takes turn together, no funny co-ordination needed

*in non-combat move, you don’t have to remember how many air movement points you used before in combat-move

But overall, as with all house rules, it is a bit more complicated than OOB (out of box).

I am sort of busy this month but I planned for later on to take the 1942 map to the same level as 1939.
    1942 at the moment is in a bad spot of “changing things but not changing things”.

I think it would be cool to experiment with realistic IPC income and unit setup once and for all.
    It’ll need a special victory condition though since Axis would be 50% of Allies income.

• Thank you for your responses.
    My friends and I have had the AAHE w/Italy map printed out and have played a few games on it already, and we really like having a third Axis player (even if Italy is weak economically).  We have a few other questions/suggestions, and I couldn’t find an AARHE w/Italy thread, so I’ll try again here.

#1  Just to double-check on Neutrals.  If Germany roll a “1” for Spain on G1, raising Spain to a 3, then you are saying that the Spanish troops are immediatly converted over to German troops without raising the diplomacy level to -5?  If this is true, then with Spain starting at -2, Sweden starting at -2, and Turkey starting at -1, then what do the Allies have going for them in the way of neutrals?  The ones with the largest armies and important positioning (especially Turkey with its control of the Black Sea) are all quite close to being swayed by the Axis.

#2  Tekky, you said, “Yes, nothing stops US from taking South America.”  This is quite ridiculous for the Allies (the supposed good guys in a supposedly more historically accurate version of AAR) to be able to take and conquer neutral countries.  Now Germany, of course, ignored neutrality for the most part (i.e. Belgium), so I would not be adverse to allowing the Axis powers to conquer neutral territories, and then if the Allies "liberated the territory later, then the Allies would receive the IPCs from that territory.

#3  What is the point of the neutral territory Eire (Ireland)?  Maybe it should have a value of 1 IPC, and/or the sea zones around it could be adjusted a little bit to give it some use.

#4  After playing the game both ways, I have to say that allowing the Axis/Allies take their turms simultaneously doesn’t work that well in my opinion.  Yes, the game does proceed a little faster, but it really seemed that the game lost quite a bit by having 3-way attacks by the Allies against Japan in Asia and by having an American Atlantic fleet attacking Europe with British land units every turn.  My solution is to let Italy go first, but adjust the initial setup a titch so that Italy cannot reinforce Ukraine or W. Russia heavily to gaurd against R1’s attack against those 2 territories. Perhaps move the Italian fighter to Algeria so that it can’t reach Ukraine or other small changes.  Taking away the 1-2 punch of US/Russsia by putting Italy in-between helps keep from having US/Russia’s turn be too powerful.

#5  Lend-Lease.  When playing on The AARHE w/Italy map, it doesn’t make sense to say that the free 12 IPC/ turn given to the Allies for US has to be shipped to SZ4 for Russia or SZ34 for UK.  We are playing that you can just take it to England which means that US can set up a relay of 4 Transports going to UK (2 in SZ8 and 2 at EUS switching places each turn).  So far in our games, this hasn’t been a game breaker, because for the US to pull this off, they usually have had to give Japan a free rein in the Pacific (because you have to invest a lot of $ in an Atlantic fleet to protect the transports).

#6  This may have been addressed in another thread, but I read quite a few, and didn’t see it, so.  In AARHE, you collect IPCs at the begining of your turn.  I like this, but a lot of $ is now taken out of the game which used to be available to purchase more units/ technology.  Also, with techs taking effect at the end of the turn, I like this also, but now you have 2 good reasons to not even try for techs. (You don’t have enough $, and it takes too long to get it.)  I think that a change needs to be made in starting IPCs; there needs to be a way in-game to increase the # of IPCs you have availible (I wrote a post in House Rules); and/or tech die rolls should be cheaper.  The following is a partial list that I am working on for technologies which shows one way that the tech dice price could be lowered.  The number after the power’s abbreviation is the cost for 1 die to roll for the above tech.  I have not added Italy to this list yet.

1. Mechanized Infantry – Your Infantry are now Mechanized Infantry with +1 Movement and the ability to blitz.
      USSR – 5            UK – 4            US – 3            GER – 4            JAP – 5

2. Dug-In Defenders – Your Infantry/Artillery on your home territories (i.e. USSR on red territories) gain +1 Defense.
      USSR – 4            UK – 4            US – 4            GER – 4            JAP – 4

3. Heavy Artillery – Your Artillery are now Heavy Artillery with +1 Attack, +1 Movement (no Blitzing allowed though,) and the ability to combat (for attacking and/or defending, but only during the first round of combat) in adjacent areas with a -1 modifier.
      USSR – 6            UK – 6            US – 6            GER – 5            JAP – 6

4. Heavy Tanks – Your Tanks are now Heavy Tanks with +1 Attack.
      USSR – 4            UK – 5            US – 5            GER – 4            JAP – 6

5. Heavy Transports – Your Transports are now Heavy Transports with the ability to hold up to 2 Infantry +any 1 land unit or any 2 land units.
      USSR – 6            UK – 4            US – 3            GER – 5            JAP – 4

6. Super Subs – Your Submarines are now Super Subs with +1 Attack and +1 Defense.
      USSR – 6            UK – 5            US – 4            GER – 3            JAP – 3

If you follow something like this, then you could just combine all of the technologies and NAs by making the usual NAs for a power cheaper for that power.

#7  Some possible solutions to Germany being a 20 would be to increase W. Europe and Vichy France both to 4 or 5 each and maybe E. Europe also then reduce Germany’s IPCvalue an equal amount.  Maybe split Germany into N. Geermany (which would be the capital) and S. Germany.  E. Germany/W. Germany might be a little more historically accurate especially when the Allies take W. Europe, but it would slow troops way down from crossing from one side to the other for Germany.  Another one would be to make Berlin its own territory completely inside of Germany and give it its own IC (but no AA).  Germany could be 15, and Berlin could be 5 (if no other changes were made).  This option might be a little difficult because of map size, but it would increase Germany’s defenses by nullifying the amphibious assault which takes the capital.  It makes sense too, because all of the other capitals which border sea zones are actually quite near the ocean, but Berlin is not.

#8  Maybe Vichy France should start with an IC so that Germany at least has the option to build in the Mediteranian if it wishes.  I don’t think that this would give the Axis too much.

• Thank you for your responses.
    My friends and I have had the AAHE w/Italy map printed out and have played a few games on it already, and we really like having a third Axis player (even if Italy is weak economically).  We have a few other questions/suggestions, and I couldn’t find an AARHE w/Italy thread, so I’ll try again here.

OK ill try to answer these Tekkyy is busy making rule rewrites….

#1  Just to double-check on Neutrals.  If Germany roll a “1” for Spain on G1, raising Spain to a 3, then you are saying that the Spanish troops are immediately converted over to German troops without raising the diplomacy level to -5?  If this is true, then with Spain starting at -2, Sweden starting at -2, and Turkey starting at -1, then what do the Allies have going for them in the way of neutrals?  The ones with the largest armies and important positioning (especially Turkey with its control of the Black Sea) are all quite close to being swayed by the Axis.

In the Case of Spain they begin at -2 which allows axis planes the ability to fly over. If they score again and roll a 1 on diplomatic ( making it -3), then Spain’s income goes to Germany. If they score again on another turn (at -4) then German land units can enter, and a third diplomatic roll of 1  (-5)  allows Germany complete control of Spain.

In the case of Turkey of course the Allies can sway the Turkish back the other way. Turkey as you know begins at -1 which allows German and Italy naval units the ability to ‘dock’ for one turn protecting them from anything, but just one turn. The Allies can put an end of this by Diplomacy and reducing them to -0- Zero.

Turkey at -1 needs 4 rolls of one and your not allowed to roll more than one die per turn for each neutral….So this idea you have is not that easy after all. Both the allies and axis are only allowed one roll per turn per neutral. no doubling up. ok??

#2  Tekky, you said, “Yes, nothing stops US from taking South America.”  This is quite ridiculous for the Allies (the supposed good guys in a supposedly more historically accurate version of AAR) to be able to take and conquer neutral countries.  Now Germany, of course, ignored neutrality for the most part (i.e. Belgium), so I would not be adverse to allowing the Axis powers to conquer neutral territories, and then if the Allies "liberated the territory later, then the Allies would receive the IPCs from that territory.

His statement should be met with trepidation. Hes talking about 1939 most likely. Of course the Allies can simply attack neutrals in South America by invasions and wasting pieces to do this. But these are already in the Allies camp at +1, +1 and O so why not just use diplomacy rolls to do this?  In the real war the only reason why they declared war on Germany was because FDR promised to bankroll them with good and services, and they knew it was a hollow DOW ( dec. of war) because they would never themselves be attacked, low risk and a part of the spoils of being on the winning team… is basically why you see so many of them in the late war period all piling on Germany with DOW’s.

#3  What is the point of the neutral territory Eire (Ireland)?  Maybe it should have a value of 1 IPC, and/or the sea zones around it could be adjusted a little bit to give it some use.

Eire was Anti-British in this period, even reluctantly after getting bombed by Germany. We tried to make it a non-factor, but perhaps it could be worth 1 IPC, but he didn’t or wasn’t capable of anything in military terms. A 1 IPC would be very generous indeed.

#4  After playing the game both ways, I have to say that allowing the Axis/Allies take their turns simultaneously doesn’t work that well in my opinion.  Yes, the game does proceed a little faster, but it really seemed that the game lost quite a bit by having 3-way attacks by the Allies against Japan in Asia and by having an American Atlantic fleet attacking Europe with British land units every turn.  My solution is to let Italy go first, but adjust the initial setup a glitch so that Italy cannot reinforce Ukraine or W. Russia heavily to guard against R1’s attack against those 2 territories. Perhaps move the Italian fighter to Algeria so that it can’t reach Ukraine or other small changes.  Taking away the 1-2 punch of US/Russia by putting Italy in-between helps keep from having US/Russia’s turn be too powerful.

Ok remember the following:

1. No Russians in China unless they are retaking Axis territories ( no Chinese in Russia either)
    2. NO UK and NO USA in Russia ( no land sea air together)
    3. if the axis take a say british territory and the Russians retake it, they keep it and the British can’t reenter or fly over it.
    4. remember on turn 1 Japan can attack UK before it can do anything.

Now if you are sure you played it this way then please let me know specifically what happened in your games. I am not getting this issue.

#5  Lend-Lease.  When playing on The AARHE w/Italy map, it doesn’t make sense to say that the free 12 IPC/ turn given to the Allies for US has to be shipped to SZ4 for Russia or SZ34 for UK.  We are playing that you can just take it to England which means that US can set up a relay of 4 Transports going to UK (2 in SZ8 and 2 at EUS switching places each turn).  So far in our games, this hasn’t been a game breaker, because for the US to pull this off, they usually have had to give Japan a free rein in the Pacific (because you have to invest a lot of $ in an Atlantic fleet to protect the transports).

Ok interesting… The idea was this:

To create Italy you need to carve out Income from Germany, so Germany is weaker, but now USSR us weaker because UK/ USA cant shuck junk into Russia… A third problem was the utter lack of Submarine warfare… to fix all three this happened:

Germany would grow to its former IPC level
    Italy would be added and control the original OOB forces from setup
    USA would get free money to compensate this new Italian player additional income as Lend lease which can goto Russia.
    The lend lease is subject to sub attacks et al…

I suppose i can look into this to make it more fair… but perhaps ill make two convoy boxes from USA to Russia. You will be able to make two stickers if the aid is going to UK its one turn, If Russia its two. Each transport can take 10 IPCs so you will need 2 only to get stuff to Russia, not 4. what you think?

#6  This may have been addressed in another thread, but I read quite a few, and didn’t see it, so.  In AARHE, you collect IPCs at the beginning of your turn.  I like this, but a lot of $ is now taken out of the game which used to be available to purchase more units/ technology.  Also, with techs taking effect at the end of the turn, I like this also, but now you have 2 good reasons to not even try for techs. (You don’t have enough $, and it takes too long to get it.)  I think that a change needs to be made in starting IPCs; there needs to be a way in-game to increase the # of IPCs you have available (I wrote a post in House Rules); and/or tech die rolls should be cheaper.  The following is a partial list that I am working on for technologies which shows one way that the tech dice price could be lowered.  The number after the power’s abbreviation is the cost for 1 die to roll for the above tech.  I have not added Italy to this list yet.

Well for starters you know that you also get free rolls for tech right? Your saying you want to be able to spend money you don’t have on additional tech rolls? And this is because you buy units at the start of your turn and tech comes near the end correct?

Well you do know that buys must be secret from the other player not on your team. So you can allocate say 3 rolls for tech and nobody knows anything till its time to roll. Thats an element that is AARHE … a fog of war at least with builds.

ON your list below why not use the extra pieces instead of using the same AAR pieces for multiple items:

example:

Buy copy of original Axis and Allies

Use battleships for cruisers
    Use tanks for mech infantry
    Use AA guns for heavy artillery
    Use D-Day blockhouse for dug in defenders or ID defense
    Use AA Bulge German tanks for Heavy tanks
    Use Milton Bradly transports for heavy transports
    Use Milton for super subs too.

1.  Mechanized Infantry – Your Infantry are now Mechanized Infantry with +1 Movement and the ability to blitz.
    USSR – 5            UK – 4            US – 3            GER – 4            JAP – 5

2.  Dug-In Defenders – Your Infantry/Artillery on your home territories (i.e. USSR on red territories) gain +1 Defense.
    USSR – 4            UK – 4            US – 4            GER – 4            JAP – 4

3.  Heavy Artillery – Your Artillery are now Heavy Artillery with +1 Attack, +1 Movement (no Blitzing allowed though,) and the ability to combat (for attacking and/or defending, but only during the first round of combat) in adjacent areas with a -1 modifier.
    USSR – 6            UK – 6            US – 6            GER – 5            JAP – 6

4.  Heavy Tanks – Your Tanks are now Heavy Tanks with +1 Attack.
    USSR – 4            UK – 5            US – 5            GER – 4            JAP – 6

5.  Heavy Transports – Your Transports are now Heavy Transports with the ability to hold up to 2 Infantry +any 1 land unit or any 2 land units.
    USSR – 6            UK – 4            US – 3            GER – 5            JAP – 4

6.  Super Subs – Your Submarines are now Super Subs with +1 Attack and +1 Defense.
    USSR – 6            UK – 5            US – 4            GER – 3            JAP – 3

If you follow something like this, then you could just combine all of the technologies and NAs by making the usual NAs for a power cheaper for that power.

#7  Some possible solutions to Germany being a 20 would be to increase W. Europe and Vichy France both to 4 or 5 each and maybe E. Europe also then reduce Germany’s IPCvalue an equal amount.  Maybe split Germany into N. Geermany (which would be the capital) and S. Germany.  E. Germany/W. Germany might be a little more historically accurate especially when the Allies take W. Europe, but it would slow troops way down from crossing from one side to the other for Germany.  Another one would be to make Berlin its own territory completely inside of Germany and give it its own IC (but no AA).  Germany could be 15, and Berlin could be 5 (if no other changes were made).  This option might be a little difficult because of map size, but it would increase Germany’s defenses by nullifying the amphibious assault which takes the capital.  It makes sense too, because all of the other capitals which border sea zones are actually quite near the ocean, but Berlin is not.

I would take the extra 10 IPC and perhaps make it a shared bank by all axis to help the weaker ones, which is what lend lease is. Perhaps keep Germany at 10 but they always just get the 10 bucks as free money which cant be taken away.
    Think of a solution that you really favor its hard to provide opinions on many ways to solve it.

#8  Maybe Vichy France should start with an IC so that Germany at least has the option to build in the Mediterranean if it wishes.  I don’t think that this would give the Axis too much.

Yes i agree. In fact Larry Harris mentions that when Milton Bradley came out. France should have a IC, but you know Germany can build one for 10 IPC or is it 5?

But the idea of phase two map was not to make changes of this type, only setup changes respective of the new units only.

• #1 No Spain’s unit don’t become Axis at -3 position. The benefits given by each position are listed in the table at Diplomacy phase.

#2 Both Axis and Allies invaded neutrals in WWII. Axis invaded Denmark. Allies invaded Iceland.

#3 Eire, like other 0 IPC neutrals, can be used as a soft spot for amphibious landing.

#4 The combined turn benefits both sides. D-Day seems easier to perform but remember amphibious landing is harder in AARHE. Plus the fact you collect income at beginning of the turn.

#6 Yeah just keep in mind of the free tech dice. Germany gets 2 free dice and starts with 1 of 3 boxes for rockets. Each die hits on a 2. On average Germany can get rockets on end of turn 3.

#5  #7
    Very good! Due to the status of the 1942 map, further house rules like those are welcomed…at least by me. Any input and feedback you give can be used in make the new 1942 map and you will be acknowledged (credited) accordingly.

By the way Imperious Leader is making revision to the 1939 map at the moment.

• further house rules like those are welcomed…at least by me. Any input and feedback you give can be used in make the new 1942 map and you will be acknowledged (credited) accordingly.

AND ME TOO!! and yes i second that statement.

• #2 Allies invaded Iran, Iraq, Azores, Attacked the Vichy in Morocco, Madagascar, etc.

I am working on the map yet again…. :cry: :cry: :cry: :roll:

• Thank you for your timely responses.
    In reference to #2, You are right, but why isn’t Iceland on the AAHE map?

• Both “AARHE standard” and “AARHE 1942 Italy” maps aims to have minimal changes so Iceland wasn’t there.

“AARHE 1939” map has Iceland as a neutral though.

• #4 The combined turn benefits both sides. D-Day seems easier to perform but remember amphibious landing is harder in AARHE. Plus the fact you collect income at beginning of the turn.

Plus invasions cost each land unit in advance one IPC for invasion ( logistical cost), Invading france will cost you more than its worth unless your prepared to take it in force, which is the real historical purpose in invasion… Its not to steal income that each side will regain on his turn. that is asinine.

And secondly, when you invade for REAL it should be a combined assault like it really was in history

• I love this

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m