• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Have you ever wanted a training scenario for Axis & Allies? Something that can help newcomers decide if the game is right for them, or a way to break in new players who need some practice, or something to use to teach your kids how to play one step at at time? Hasbro publishes the “1941” box, but in my opinion the production quality is kind of cheap, and it’s still not really fast enough for a proper training scenario – you don’t want to play a 2.5 hour game; you want to play a 30 minute exercise that could serve as a warm-up or a test run for friends to check out after a weeknight dinner.

So, I designed a couple of scenarios for just that purpose.

The rules for both scenarios are:

• 1 player vs. 1 player

• Each player gets 3 full turns

• Each player has only 1 nation

• Only limited territories are in play

• No capitals present or necessary

• Each player starts with IPCs in hand based on territories controlled at start

• Whoever controls more IPCs on the map at the end of the third turn wins

The basic scenario, on the European side of the 50th Anniversary map, also has the further rule that the only units allowed are infantry, artillery, tanks, and fighters. The idea is that you can play the European scenario first to learn the basics of land warfare, and then if you want more practice you can play the Pacific scenario to learn how to use your boats. All unit types are allowed in the Pacific scenario.

European Scenario (Germany goes first with 7 IPCs, then Russia with 8 IPCs)

HUNGARY: 1 factory, 1 infantry, 1 tank
    ROMANIA: 1 factory, 1 infantry, 1 fighter
    POLAND: 3 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 fighter

vs.

EAST POLAND: 3 infantry
    UKRAINE: 1 infantry, 1 tank
    EAST UKRAINE: 1 infantry
    CAUCASUS: 1 factory, 2 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 fighter

Pacific Scenario (Japan goes first with 10 IPCs, then Britain with 14 IPCs)

JAPAN: 1 factory, 1 infantry, 1 tank, 1 fighter
    SZ 62: 1 transport, 1 cruiser, 1 carrier, 1 fighter
    IWO JIMA: 1 infantry
    SZ 59: 1 submarine
    FORMOSA: 1 infantry
    OKINAWA: 1 infantry
    WAKE ISLAND: 1 infantry
    CAROLINE ISLANDS: 1 infantry, 1 fighter
    SZ 51: 1 submarine

vs.

AUSTRALIA: 1 factory, 2 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 bomber, 1 AAA gun
    NEW ZEALAND: 1 infantry, 1 fighter
    SOLOMON ISLANDS: 1 infantry
    SZ 46: 1 transport, 1 battleship
    NEW GUINEA: 1 infantry, 1 fighter
    EAST INDIES: control marker
    BORNEO: control marker
    SZ 49: 1 destroyer
    PHILIPPINE ISLANDS: 2 infantry

Players may use any sea zones they wish, but no other land territories other than the ones named above are considered to exist. For example, you cannot conquer or land on Hawaii or French Indochina.

As in the real game, the Axis start with slightly more total unit value, but less income, so they will have to rapidly conquer some territory (and briefly hold it) in order to win. But, really, winning isn’t the point – the point is to help bring up a new generation of Axis & Allies players. That’s the real victory.

All comments welcome!

European Trainer.jpg

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

(Pacific photo)

Pacific Trainer.jpg

• I like this idea and will have to try it out when I get some free time.

-Midnight_Reaper

• '17 '16 '15

Good action here Argothair. I could see this expanding with multiple scenarios. Some more complex than others.

Nice work :)

• Sponsor

Great thought energy surrounding new players and different scenarios with a 3 round limit… lots of potential with this idea.

• '19

Very interesting idea J! I like this and also think it has a lot of potential.  I’m going to have to give this a spin this week now lol

• Great concept to use limited parts of the two halves of the map for training purposes, and to do so under simplified and restricted playing conditions.  This could be very useful indeed.  You mention that “no other land territories other than the ones named above are considered to exist”, and I’m thinking that perhaps a visual cue could be added to the out-of-bounds territories to help the players stay in bounds – say, putting an upside-down (i.e. blank-side-up) control marker on every inactive territory.  That way, the new players being trained will have one less detail to remember, and the veteran players will have a constant visual reminder that they should keep their normal instincts for unbridled territorial conquest under control.

• '17 '16

I really like how you materialize this concept of training scenario.

Since it is only a 2.5 turns purchase because there is no need to purchase units for last player.

One way to give player the opportunity to practice purchase while opening options, you may introduce in second turn of Europe and beginning of third one additional predetermined free unknown unit, like Bomber or AAA.
    So, they are restricted to purchase start up unit, but you gave an opportunity to practice with a new one. No need to learn the cost of them.

• Disciplinary Group Banned

INTERESTING

• These look good, I’ll definitely give them a try. I love the simplified rules but the feel of A&A is still there. I have a few people in mind who might like these because they are overwhelmed on the full board.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m