• I would like to create and make public to the A&A community a document that treats G40 as its own game (i.e. format a rulebook that is explicitly for G40).

But I first need to know if this is legal, or if it would violate copywrite law (even if it is free as this would be).

Does anyone have the answer to this?

• @Momentum:

I would like to create and make public to the A&A community a document that treats G40 as its own game (i.e. format a rulebook that is explicitly for G40).

But I first need to know if this is legal, or if it would violate copywrite law (even if it is free as this would be).

Does anyone have the answer to this?

While I can’t give you a legal expertise on this copyright question, I can tell you from the past that this subject has been discussed quite often on this forum and that there have been various attempts. In the end the uncertainty of that subject led to the consequence, that nothing ever has been published for a long time, if ever.

• Without permission, you’d get into trouble copying text/images from the actual manual, whereas writing your own whole cloth doesn’t run into those troubles.

/not a lawyer, etc.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@weddingsinger:

Without permission, you’d get into trouble copying text/images from the actual manual, whereas writing your own whole cloth doesn’t run into those troubles.

/not a lawyer, etc.

I am a lawyer, Weddingsinger is correct.

Copyright protects the actual product, not the ideas.  So you can’t just copy/paste stuff.  You’d need to write it up on your own. Thus reexplaining the G40 rules in a comprehensive set would be fine.  Just don’t use Avalon Images or published language, etc.

But, why aren’t the G40 rules at the end of the Europe 40 rule book sufficient?

• Thank you for all of your responses.

@Karl7 The reason the rules at the end of the two 1940 rulebooks are not sufficient is that it is just a list of changes to the combined game. Also, some rules are only in the Pacific rulebook and not in the dominant Europe rulebook, therefore it would be nice to have all the rules that apply to G40 in one place.

• '19 '17 '16

Yeah, I wish they put the couple of rules not in both books in the global section at the back.

Europe has the straits rule.
    Pacific has Kamikaze and China rules.

If you’re aware of that, it isn’t too much of a problem.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m