• I just kill people. When I’m out of the Corp though I’m going to work on a criminal justice degree and hopefully get into police work.

• solder = army
    Marine= Marine
    Sailor or seamen = Navy
    Airman= Air force

so to ansower your question, no as it is refering to the wrong branch of service and Marines are better so it’s an insault to call them a lesser branch of service.

• '19 Moderator

@Pervavita:

so to ansower your question, no as it is refering to the wrong branch of service and Marines are better so it’s an insault to call them a lesser branch of service.

lol, spoken like a true Marine  :-)

• @Pervavita:

solder = army
    Marine= Marine
    Sailor or seamen = Navy
    Airman= Air force

That’s what I thought it was.  Thanks.

• Yeah, I was called Marine, Jarhead, Devildog, beer drinking a$$hole…. but I don’t ever remember being called a soldier.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Funny, considering Marines are a child branch of a greater branch of service - the United States Navy. :P

Just like the Air Force is a child branch of a greater branch of service - the United States Army.

And, since men were fighting on the ground long before we had naval warfare, that means the Army is the greatest branch of service!

But, don’t worry.  We army personnel will always need coffee (US Air Force) and doors to be opened (US Marine Corps) and taxi services (US Navy.)

• Navy is the Marines big sister  :wink:

• Basically, the Marines look to recruit 18 year old guys right out of high school who want to go and kill people and blow shit up. The Army suckers in these old drunks who can’t stay in college by offering 10,000 dollar bonuses.

So the Corp is made up of warriors. The reason to join is to be the best damn fighter around. Very appealing to an 18 year old guy.

Old drunks who cant make it in college join the army, cause they are all about stupid shit like job skills and college money. What kind of young guy gives a damn about that?

As for the Navy and Air Force… Do they even carry rifles???

• ya some of them Squids do. the RP back in my old unit did (i can’t remember the acuale abriviation stands for but he was the Chaplin’s body guard) he also played A&A… didn’t get to play him though

• @stuka:

Yeah, I was called Marine, Jarhead, Devildog, beer drinking a$$hole…. but I don’t ever remember being called a soldier.

I’m on another forum that a guy claims to be a marine.  We didn’t believe him, this being one of the many reasons (called himself soldier instead of marine).

• Just ask him if he was in 4th Battalion. the ansower will clear this up quite nicelly  :wink:

Marines can be called soldiers.  They are, after all, ground pounders who know how to swim.  But yea, I’d have flags raised too if a marine ever called himself a soldier.  Not that it’s wrong, but it’s unusual.  It’s like saying “I’m an ex-Marine.”  The only “ex-Marines” are the ones drummed out of the corps with dishonorables.  Everyone else is still a marine, just not active anymore. :P

• Marines can be called soldiers

Yeah,… and then the one who calls them soldiers within earshot of a Marine will get the ol’ sweep and stomp.

@stuka:

Marines can be called soldiers

Yeah,… and then the one who calls them soldiers within earshot of a Marine will get the ol’ sweep and stomp.

an enlisted man or woman who serves in an army; “the soldiers stood at attention”

serve as a soldier in the military

The United States Marine Corps can be considered an army.  It’s not an air force and it’s not a navy, thus it must be an army.  Same for the National Guard.  It’s an army.  It is not THE Army.  But it is AN army.

So technically speaking, it is correct to refer to a marine as a soldier.  And I dare any self-respecting marine (who doesn’t want to get his butt kicked by his Gunny) to “sweep n’stomp” me for calling him a soldier. :P

• better to get my @ss kicked by a gunny then a sarg.
    good chance the gunny would be lossing rank over the issue right along with as he would be there in the middle of it too.

• Yes, you can refer to a Marine as a soldier, but you can also refer to a mongoose as a chinchilla. When people refer to soldiers they could be referring to anything from a Delta operator to a thug with an ak74 in Africa. When people refer to a Marine, they are referring to a United States Marine.

“Some people spend their entire lives trying to figure out if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don’t have that problem.”

• You notice, Jen that all three people (myself, Pervata and M36) rebuking your soldier bit are MARINES  8-)

Yea, I see it.  And I understand your position.  However, the definition for soldier fits that of a marine. :P

Honestly, I usually call marines like “Hey, boys!  That’s OUR base you’re blowing up!  The enemy is THAT way!” (Pointing Pi Radians from where they are shooting.)

• not exactly, Marines are sea born, or come from the sea. in modern war fair the Army has taken that job also but only in WWII and then because there wern’t enough Marines to fight the Japs and Krouts.

Historically speaking Marines were just army men on the boats.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m