Balancing Bids… using Time as a part of the Bid

• ABH - Very few games are perfectly played. Perfectly played games generally go on for a long time. Triple A is better for those games.
    Live Board games if played with unlimited time per move… buy … Combat etc…  ends up with about 5 Turns played in s single 12 -13 hour game day.
      Iam sure you have played with players who take excruciatingly long time for a buy.
    Worst case scenario is when all decisions are made by Committee approval.
    You avoid the mistakes, sure … but you have just had a premature ejaculation of a game.

Better put the onus on Axis to get things going… fast…and they do one of three things:
    A) Play well… force Allies to also play fast… and played accurately… you will have a clear result by Turn 7 or 8
    B) Play well… for Allies to make mistakes … Axis win
    C) Make mistakes… Allies pounce on it… Allies win

As I said… this is not for slow players… and for players who want to triple analyze every step of every move.

This is more like speed chess… version… of AA Global in a Day game.

Not for everyone.

• I agree MeinHett. Not for most. Youll get in an extra turn if setup is done before guys show up.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@Marshmallow:

Yep, agreed. What would be best is a standard set up that is balanced, which uses Axis and Allies rules (no, balanced mode does not count).

Just out of curiosity, why are you so against the balanced mod?  I think its fine, but also I’m not a booster for it. I can go either way re: regular with bid or BM.

BM does even out the inherent Axis advantage.  It doesn’t change any of the basic rules.  It mostly just modifies the NOs and then the Chinese guerrillas.

I’d be interested to know what flaws you think it has and why its not A&A in your view.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’ll PM you with a reply. No point in airing it again.

• @SS:

I agree MeinHett. Not for most. Youll get in an extra turn if setup is done before guys show up.

No.
    Everyone shows up on time…. everyone helps in set up.
    No extra turns.
    No unrealistic 100 IPC bids… ( i mean seriously?!.. unless you are kidding…)

If that is the level of play and players you are encountering…  i feel for you Bro.

• @MeinHerr:

@SS:

I agree MeinHett. Not for most. Youll get in an extra turn if setup is done before guys show up.

No.
    Everyone shows up on time…. everyone helps in set up.
    No extra turns.
    No unrealistic 100 IPC bids… ( i mean seriously?!.. unless you are kidding…)

If that is the level of play and players you are encountering…  i feel for you Bro.

Im not kidding. You or somebody said it takes 40 mins to setup game at 9 00 am and start at 9 40 thats 40 min of play lost.

I heard Gar gives players 100 bid. Depends on level.

• @Karl7:

@Marshmallow:

Based on our experience yesterday using a chess clock for the first time, the only way to use time as part of the bid is to reduce the amount of time available to the Axis compared to the Allies significantly.

(On a separate unrelated note, forcing everyone to use the same die colors for the same numbers will NOT speed up play despite Meinherr’s repeated unsubstantiated assertions to the contrary.)

Marsh

Yeah, just not sure reducing the Axis’s “time” is going to really affect their play enough to allow for lower bids.  I could be wrong.

As for the recent colored combat dice thing, yeah, we used that recently in a game it was more confusing and chewed up time trying count the exact right number of specific colored dice etc.  I guess handling such dice would improve with experience, but honestly I like to see what rolled, including the misses.  Nothing like yelling out “Boxcars!” when your opponent rolls double 6’s and then watch the tears well up.

“Combat” dice are different from using  Agreed upon color code that applies to both sides.

Agreed upon Color code, simple means you use different colors for 1s,2s,3s,4s.  Roll them all at once…
    Common sense tells you that in over the 100+ combats… this will be faster. And it is. 
    Some people want a research paper done on it to “prove” that…  i say just try it and you will see.

Problem is that once Human Beings are used to doing things a certain way… they are loathe to change it … unless they see a pitfall in continuing … or … other ways are more advantageous…

Hence… once there are time limits… and … you are forced to play faster… then the advantages of using multicolored dice will become self-apparent.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Marsh, Herr, you guys are in Seattle area, right?  You should rally to Vancouver BC to take on Gargantua and his crew.  Call it: “Battle for the West Coast!”

Test some of these ideas

:lol:

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

We do Portland vs Seattle every year. No reason we can’t also do Vancouver vs Seattle each year…

• It is in the works. Gargantua and me are on it…

@Marshmallow:

We do Portland vs Seattle every year. No reason we can’t also do Vancouver vs Seattle each year…

My family has a house in Vancouver. We’ll be up there in late August.  Big basement, plenty of room for war games.  Garg and I may put something together.  Will let you know if you something comes together.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m