Getting Rid of Google and Facebook

• '19 '17 '16

We all know about the problems with Facebook and Google.  Whether it’s compromising our privacy, tracking our histories, or ideologically filtering what we see, these companies seem to need a heavy dose of good old fashioned competition.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacements? For ways to remove these companies from our lives?

I’m familiar with DuckDuckGo as a Google replacement, and ProtonMail as a replacement for gmail. Considering giving both a try.

Being an admitted old fart, however, I’d love to hear what others have to say as my brain began shrinking back in the days when you could buy a high-end scotch for $50.00… yes, that long ago.

Thanks.

• Wouldn’t they do same like Facebook and Co after a time as well?

Peoples getting greedy and will sell their Grandma for a Buck… :oops:

• And what replaces Facebook? I think they are all necessary evils; you can’t do without them.

• '17 '16 '15

@SrarBoy:

And what replaces Facebook? I think they are all necessary evils; you can’t do without them.

Heh heh I can  8-)
    don’t no why people need to tell everyone what they’re doing. Must be all about them :-)

• there is another site that is now competing with facebook…it’s called MeWe. I haven’t checked it out but I’ve heard that it doesn’t have some of the restrictions of fb…or the spyware.

• '19 '17 '16

@barney:

@SrarBoy:

And what replaces Facebook? I think they are all necessary evils; you can’t do without them.

Heh heh I can   8-)
    don’t no why people need to tell everyone what they’re doing. Must be all about them :-)

I hear you, there, Barney.

I can actually do without Facebook just fine, though there have been one or two instances when I was glad I had it.

Google, on the other hand, is a bit more of a necessity.  I would love to give my clicks to someone else.  But to whom?

• '19 '17 '16

@captain:

there is another site that is now competing with facebook…it’s called MeWe. I haven’t checked it out but I’ve heard that it doesn’t have some of the restrictions of fb…or the spyware.

Interesting, CW.  Thanks.

• '20

The search engine I use is ixquick.com, now named Start Page. It dubs itself the world’s most private search engine, for what it’s worth, although I think at least it’s images are powered by Google which makes me lose some faith in it.

I don’t use Facebook. I prefer Gab.ai which lacks in workability but makes up for by almost never censoring legal content.

• '19 '17 '16

@Colt45:

The search engine I use is ixquick.com, now named Start Page. It dubs itself the world�s most private search engine, for what it’s worth, although I think at least it’s images are powered by Google which makes me lose some faith in it.

I don’t use Facebook. I prefer Gab.ai which lacks in workability but makes up for by almost never censoring legal content.

Thanks, Colt.  I will definitely give ixquick.com a look.

Just for the record, Srarboy, when I said “replace” I didn’t mean in an existential sense. I just meant are there replacements that a lone, citizen like myself can turn to? Competition, in other words. I realize no one is going to put Facebook or Google out of business, and I don’t really want to (well, maybe just a little  :-D). Sorry if my initial post caused confusion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m