• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yea, but common, what are the odds that 2 fighters + 10 destroyers are going to NOT detect a submarine?  That’s akin to attacking Moscow and hoping that the AA Gun misses all 24 shots at your fighters and 3 shots at your bombers.  It could happen, but it’s not likely.

So that stops England, but not America.  Which would be fine, since technically the British COULD move the destroyers out of SZ 5 and use them to bombard somewhere else if they have an uncontested sea zone to load and unload their transports into.  Just leave one destroyer and the fighters behind to kill the submarine.

Though, it is cheaper then losing 10 infantry to bombardment, I don’t think it will be enough, really.

• I still do not agree that DD’s are the uber strat.

I will have to be persuaded via a game.

And now I know what to look for and will see it coming and will react accordingly early on to make a large difference.

• One way to minimize this is to give up western and just take it back every turn with an inf or two.  Germany still gets the money.

But Germany gives up a VC. No longer is taking either Caucasus/Karelia good enough any more.

While I don’t necessarily believe that mass destroyers is always the best idea, I at least think it should be a major tech, because what it is essentially is buying you is unlimited economic damage potential. This is in huge contrast to convoy raiding/SBR which are capped at their territory value, but it’s more than possible for a large stack of dds to do well over the territory’s cap. I understand that dds cost more, but you are paying for the potential for unlimited economic damage, and that means a lot.

I do agree with Axis_Roll that massing dds with UK isn’t the best idea due to German sub blocking, but for the US it’s probably a much better idea than straight shucking to Europe. Shucking to Europe can easily be cut down to a bunch of wimpy inf if Japan convoy raids W. US, but if you have a pile of dds before Japan can get the US down they can continually deal a lot of damage. And you can slowly ramp up the damage with 1-2 dds every turn, using the rest for defensive land purchase.

And now I know what to look for and will see it coming and will react accordingly early on to make a large difference.

Could you give us the general gist of what you would do without giving away all your secrets?  :lol:

• @Bean:

One way to minimize this is to give up western and just take it back every turn with an inf or two.  Germany still gets the money.

But Germany gives up a VC. No longer is taking either Caucasus/Karelia good enough any more.

I don’t want to give away ALL my secrets until I beat you in our game :)

@Bean:

Could you give us the general gist of what you would do without giving away all your secrets?  :lol:

Well a US buy of 4 DD’s turn 1 for the atlantic is kinda of a tip off, especially in conjunction with Russian Rail.

I gave Jen my biggest Key, so whe’ll use it against her next opponent.
    Don’t all rush and play her now……

• Bean,

Speaking of games, when is UK4 coming?

• Might be today or Friday, I commented in our thread my current game situation.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yea, I got an idea…not sure if it’ll work.  But it’s an idea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m