• @Caesar:

@AxisAndAllies1940:

Either a German feint into South Africa or a Japanese attempt to move the ENTIRE IJN into the Med to conquer Turkey and from there, Ukraine.

Okay, I have to ask why….

I don’t know what the Japanese player was thinking, either. He was very experienced with Spring 42, and had somehow done an India Crush, but being new to G40, he tried to pull off one of his Spring 42 tactics (moving the IJN into the Med to attack the Middle East), and tried to take it one step further. End result:Ukraine is occupied by the Germans, while the Americans take advantage of the IJN being nowhere near Tokyo, and captures it. They then take over literally EVERY SINGLE Pacific island, including the DEI, since the islands were totally exposed without the IJN, and most of the IJA was sitting unused in Calcutta without transports.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Once while playing Japan, I had agreed with my counterpart to follow a particular plan that involved pinning India early and keeping pressure on the Middle East. However, the UK did so badly with die rolls in multiple battles that my pressure was completely unncessary and I wound up occupying most of Africa south of Egypt with Japan. Despite the fact that the Allies were doing a great KJF, I was still cashing out at 28 IPCs turn and the Allies were having to spend 50+ IPCs per turn to keep me contained.

Gotta love when your game plan steers perfectly with the bad luck of your opponents’ dice…

Marsh

• @AxisAndAllies1940:

@Caesar:

@AxisAndAllies1940:

Either a German feint into South Africa or a Japanese attempt to move the ENTIRE IJN into the Med to conquer Turkey and from there, Ukraine.

Okay, I have to ask why….

I don’t know what the Japanese player was thinking, either. He was very experienced with Spring 42, and had somehow done an India Crush, but being new to G40, he tried to pull off one of his Spring 42 tactics (moving the IJN into the Med to attack the Middle East), and tried to take it one step further. End result:Ukraine is occupied by the Germans, while the Americans take advantage of the IJN being nowhere near Tokyo, and captures it. They then take over literally EVERY SINGLE Pacific island, including the DEI, since the islands were totally exposed without the IJN, and most of the IJA was sitting unused in Calcutta without transports.

You think the fleet half way around the world, he would at least mass an army on his home island.

• I’m currently in the middle of a game where the Allied player has moved all of his navy into the Atlantic, and is preparing for an assault on Europe. He completely left the Pacific open for Japan. Within the next two turns I should be able to take and hold the 6th victory city with Japan and win the game. I thought that it was an odd move from him, as I have played many time against this player, and he has never done anything like this.

• @Requester45:

I’m currently in the middle of a game where the Allied player has moved all of his navy into the Atlantic, and is preparing for an assault on Europe. He completely left the Pacific open for Japan. Within the next two turns I should be able to take and hold the 6th victory city with Japan and win the game. I thought that it was an odd move from him, as I have played many time against this player, and he has never done anything like this.

Is he past the point of no return?

• We were playing a 3v3 and our Russian player decided he wanted to build a fleet!  We knew the German player was most likely going to focus on UK - as he loved Sea Lion.  So our Russian ally built a fleet in the Black Sea and decided to do landings in Greece, supported by a constant stream of landings of UK troops from Africa.  For about 4 turns it kept Italy and Germany occupied on trying to keep Russia out of Greece - until they decided to focus on taking Ukraine.  It was kind of funny to watch happen.

• Caesar, he is past the point of no return. Japan ended up taking all of mainland Asia, along with the Money Islands and Hawaii, so they won.

• @Requester45:

Caesar, he is past the point of no return. Japan ended up taking all of mainland Asia, along with the Money Islands and Hawaii, so they won.

Sounds like some admirals in the USN where secretly part of the Japanese government.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@AK_Grown:

So our Russian ally built a fleet in the Black Sea and decided to do landings in Greece, supported by a constant stream of landings of UK troops from Africa.

That’s really a strange play. You cannot cross the Turkish Strait as long as Turkey is neutral, so the Allies would need to capture Turkey first aligning all other strict neutrals to the Axis early in the game.  :-D

But maybe the Allies did crush Turkey, was this done with the Russian fleet?

• TripleA

I did a j4 Dow once… In this game I took Japan to Africa and Siberia. in this game Japan was an island surrounded by purple green tan and gray… Africa was yellow and I won in Europe.

• TripleA

So instead of attacking China units I moved everything up towards Siberia and waited to invade so that Russia wouldnt get two inf into Russia before g6 attack. This was also a g1 Dow Russia.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@ShadowHAwk:

@Tjoek:

@AK_Grown:

So our Russian ally built a fleet in the Black Sea and decided to do landings in Greece, supported by a constant stream of landings of UK troops from Africa.

That’s really a strange play. You cannot cross the Turkish Strait as long as Turkey is neutral, so the Allies would need to capture Turkey first aligning all other strict neutrals to the Axis early in the game.  :-D

But maybe the Allies did crush Turkey, was this done with the Russian fleet?

You can use transports to invade greece from there though. Basicaly the same thing germany can do with caucasus.

Lol you’re absolutely right. Never noticed that Greece borders the Black Sea on the map.

• Slightly off topic but if Germany puts a factory on Romania, you could build a small fleet and invade Caucasus from the Black Sea and usually USSR isn’t in position to defend it.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Yep, and the airbase that covers it also provides coverage for sea zone 97 and sea zone 99, making it so that the UK can’t use just transports to liberate Cyprus to reclaim their NO.

• '19 '17 '16

I think you’d have to build the IC G1 for that one to work out. Otherwise it won’t help you get to the Caucasus.

• Well putting a factory on G1 never hints a naval build in the Black Sea, it always hints a Turkish invasion. I never tried building a Black Sea navy.

• TripleA

Naval in Black Sea is funny… Just buy lots of bombers with USA you get there fast, I think East USA to Africa and you can hit it.

• @Cow:

Naval in Black Sea is funny… Just buy lots of bombers with USA you get there fast, I think East USA to Africa and you can hit it.

An even funnier build, if it was a legal move (which it isn’t, at least under OOB rules, because they aren’t labeled as SZs), would be to deploy ships on the Global 1940 map board’s completely landlocked bodies of water.  By my count, there are six:

• The Great Lakes (adjoining the Ontario map territory)

• Lake Tchad (adjoining the Nigeria map territory)

• Lake Victoria (inside the Tanganyika map territory)

• Lake Ladoga (inside the Novgorod map territory)

• The Caspian Sea (adjoining the Turkmenistan map territory)

• Lake Baikal (inside the Yakut and Buryatia map territories)

In addition to not being allowed by the OOB rules, this build would be rather pointless because all those bodies of water are landlocked and are either entirely within one Allied power’s territory, or are bordered by two Allied powers, or are bordered on one side by an Allied power and on the other side by a pro-Allied neutral…so by definition there’s no enemy side anywhere on their shorelines (at least prior to the point where territories start getting captured during play).

• @Ozymandiac:

Caspian Sea is allowed  :-)

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=35430.0

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the info.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m