• Simple question, name a strange play you or another played in your game that made everyone confused, it doesn’t matter what it is as long as it counts as an actual move in a game. (so you can’t say something flipping the game over).

I was in a 1v1 and I was the allies so at Japan’s turn, he decided to invade neutral Mongolia just to see what happens knowing full well the rules.

• Bought mIC in Alaska

• On R1 he bought a minor factory in W.Ukraine and Rostov. Thanks for the factories bro

• '20 '19 '18

UK & ANZAC (same player) making no attempt to occupy Sumatra, Java or Celebes. UK did move 3 INF to Borneo, though.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Situation
    Germany was building up for a Sea Lion in Sea Zone 112 with 10 loaded transports, a battle ship and some destroyers. Instead of London he sailed north of the Nordics to amphibious assault Leningrad. His fleet was not that well protected so Russia decided to scramble three fighters which Germany had simply overlooked.

Where it really goes wrong
    During the resulting combat Germany ends up with only a damaged battleship left (and off course it’s invasion force on 10 transports) and Russia still one fighter left. At this point Germany decides to retreat to Sea Zone 126.

The Result
    Strategic bombers from London finish the job and sink the damaged battleship and all 10 loaded transports  :-D

• '17 '16 '13 '12

That’s a good one.

• @Tjoek:

Situation
    Germany was building up for a Sea Lion in Sea Zone 112 with 10 loaded transports, a battle ship and some destroyers. Instead of London he sailed north of the Nordics to amphibious assault Leningrad. His fleet was not that well protected so Russia decided to scramble three fighters which Germany had simply overlooked.

Where it really goes wrong
    During the resulting combat Germany ends up with only a damaged battleship left (and off course it’s invasion force on 10 transports) and Russia still one fighter left. At this point Germany decides to retreat to Sea Zone 126.

The Result
    Strategic bombers from London finish the job and sink the damaged battleship and all 10 loaded transports  :-D

I bet those female pilots were smiling so hard!

• '22 '16

I took Berlin once with a Russian fleet in the baltic.  :-D  In my opponents defense it was his first time playing and I was teaching him the game.  I was trying to emphasize the number one rule in AA.  ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR CAPITAL!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

In a Europe 1940 game (but I suppose it could have happened in Global), the British and Italians had virtually eliminated each other in Africa. Also, Britain had fallen to a successful Sea Lion, but they had a strong air force left in Transjordan, which was the result of the Allies deciding to evacuate rather than defend Britain when Sea Lion was inevitable (probably not the best decision btw).

Italy held several African territories, but had only a single inf left and was reluctant to send more because the transports and any fleet with it would be sunk by the British planes.

In the mean time, nobody had bothered the three French inf in Northern Africa, and the French plane had also escaped in that direction. So in the absence of British land units, and with the Americans not wanting to divert forces there, the Allies decided that it would be a good idea to take that bit of income from Italy anyway…. and we saw the French army gloriously marching on Italian-held Lybia, Tobruk, Alexandria… if we hadn’t stopped the game due to time constraints, French Egypt would have been next, with the sub-Saharan and Syrian inf also having arrived.

So we ended up running out of French counters!

• I had a situation once where USSR ended up being the sole superpower of the world. US in terms of conquering did the least amount of war, UK liberated France but USSR was the nation that ended up in Germany and Italy. Not sure if this is “strange” but Stalin was smiling hard that day.

• Either a German feint into South Africa or a Japanese attempt to move the ENTIRE IJN into the Med to conquer Turkey and from there, Ukraine.

• @AxisAndAllies1940:

Either a German feint into South Africa or a Japanese attempt to move the ENTIRE IJN into the Med to conquer Turkey and from there, Ukraine.

Okay, I have to ask why….

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Italian fleet off Gibraltar fires a trn to land 1 art in Ontario.  US counter attacks next turn w/2 mech and air support from WUS and EUS and LOSES.

Thinking no follow up will be necessary the US doesn’t buy or otherwise cue up 2nd attack force, Italy sees an opening and reinforces Ontario to hold it. It takes another 2 turns for the US to eject them.  Massive distraction ends up diverting enough allied stuff and effort to give Japan breathing space to win.

Amazing!   :-P

• @Karl7:

Italian fleet off Gibraltar fires a trn to land 1 art in Ontario.  US counter attacks next turn w/2 mech and air support from WUS and EUS and LOSES.

Thinking no follow up will be necessary the US doesn’t buy or otherwise cue up 2nd attack force, Italy sees an opening and reinforces Ontario to hold it. It takes another 2 turns for the US to eject them.  Massive distraction ends up diverting enough allied stuff and effort to give Japan breathing space to win.

Amazing!   :-P

In the history of warfare, never will you see a day that Japanese citizens will be praising epic tales of how poor farmers couldn’t eject those brave soldiers of the Roman Republic.

• @Caesar:

@AxisAndAllies1940:

Either a German feint into South Africa or a Japanese attempt to move the ENTIRE IJN into the Med to conquer Turkey and from there, Ukraine.

I don’t know what the Japanese player was thinking, either. He was very experienced with Spring 42, and had somehow done an India Crush, but being new to G40, he tried to pull off one of his Spring 42 tactics (moving the IJN into the Med to attack the Middle East), and tried to take it one step further. End result:Ukraine is occupied by the Germans, while the Americans take advantage of the IJN being nowhere near Tokyo, and captures it. They then take over literally EVERY SINGLE Pacific island, including the DEI, since the islands were totally exposed without the IJN, and most of the IJA was sitting unused in Calcutta without transports.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Once while playing Japan, I had agreed with my counterpart to follow a particular plan that involved pinning India early and keeping pressure on the Middle East. However, the UK did so badly with die rolls in multiple battles that my pressure was completely unncessary and I wound up occupying most of Africa south of Egypt with Japan. Despite the fact that the Allies were doing a great KJF, I was still cashing out at 28 IPCs turn and the Allies were having to spend 50+ IPCs per turn to keep me contained.

Gotta love when your game plan steers perfectly with the bad luck of your opponents’ dice…

Marsh

• @AxisAndAllies1940:

@Caesar:

@AxisAndAllies1940:

I don’t know what the Japanese player was thinking, either. He was very experienced with Spring 42, and had somehow done an India Crush, but being new to G40, he tried to pull off one of his Spring 42 tactics (moving the IJN into the Med to attack the Middle East), and tried to take it one step further. End result:Ukraine is occupied by the Germans, while the Americans take advantage of the IJN being nowhere near Tokyo, and captures it. They then take over literally EVERY SINGLE Pacific island, including the DEI, since the islands were totally exposed without the IJN, and most of the IJA was sitting unused in Calcutta without transports.

You think the fleet half way around the world, he would at least mass an army on his home island.

• I’m currently in the middle of a game where the Allied player has moved all of his navy into the Atlantic, and is preparing for an assault on Europe. He completely left the Pacific open for Japan. Within the next two turns I should be able to take and hold the 6th victory city with Japan and win the game. I thought that it was an odd move from him, as I have played many time against this player, and he has never done anything like this.

• @Requester45:

I’m currently in the middle of a game where the Allied player has moved all of his navy into the Atlantic, and is preparing for an assault on Europe. He completely left the Pacific open for Japan. Within the next two turns I should be able to take and hold the 6th victory city with Japan and win the game. I thought that it was an odd move from him, as I have played many time against this player, and he has never done anything like this.

Is he past the point of no return?

• We were playing a 3v3 and our Russian player decided he wanted to build a fleet!  We knew the German player was most likely going to focus on UK - as he loved Sea Lion.  So our Russian ally built a fleet in the Black Sea and decided to do landings in Greece, supported by a constant stream of landings of UK troops from Africa.  For about 4 turns it kept Italy and Germany occupied on trying to keep Russia out of Greece - until they decided to focus on taking Ukraine.  It was kind of funny to watch happen.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m