German invasions of the Soviet Union and the Balkans

• Hey guys, I have a couple of questions regarding the German invasions of the Soviet Union and maybe the Balkans. Do you guys have Germany or Italy attack Yugoslavia and Greece if you attack them at all and how do you guys handle invading the Soviet Union? Do you guys only go for the Soviet territories that are apart of the Lebensraum victory objective, or do you look to conquer as much as possible?

• I usually have Italy focus on The Mediterranean, Gibraltar or Africa. I leave Greece & Yugoslavia to Germany. Yugoslavia falls in round 2 with help from aligned Romanian troops.
    For Italy to succeed, Lend Leasing from Germany (and Japan) is almost a must-have.

For Russia, I see little benefit besides going after ‘Lebensraum’. Perhaps Caucasus, if you need a route into the Middle East.
    IMO, a key to “winning” Barbarossa is making sure your opponent have longer supply lines than you. The concept of “conquering Russia” is best buried along the other A&A baggage. It’s not doable unless the Russian player is playing like an a*se.

• Okay, I figured as much, I was just wondering whether or not it is a good idea to expand beyond Lebensraum. I do have two questions though regarding your post.

1. How are you able to have Romania help you take Yugoslavia during round 2? Unless you take France on the first turn, you shouldn’t be able to have Romania under your control.

2. How do you get lend-lease from Japan to Italy? I do not know for sure if you can or not, I am just wondering how you have been able to do so. I just assumed you couldn’t because Britain controls the Mediterranean routes (the only way to Italy’s ports). Unless of course, Italy has one or both Cairo/Gibraltar. Even then the Brits could easily cut off the supply path by dropping in sub fro interdiction or setting up a blockade.

• @KingKuba:

1. How are you able to have Romania help you take Yugoslavia during round 2? Unless you take France on the first turn, you shouldn’t be able to have Romania under your control.

2. How do you get lend-lease from Japan to Italy? I do not know for sure if you can or not, I am just wondering how you have been able to do so. I just assumed you couldn’t because Britain controls the Mediterranean routes (the only way to Italy’s ports). Unless of course, Italy has one or both Cairo/Gibraltar. Even then the Brits could easily cut off the supply path by dropping in sub fro interdiction or setting up a blockade.

1. My current favourite strategy is to take France in round 1 using Germanys Blitzkrieg special ability.

2. Two things are required for this to work: a: Italy must have declared war. b: Japan must be at peace with the Allies.

When you LL, the ship that carries the unit is the originating countrys origin until it hit the receiving port. So, as Japan is at peace with the Allies, it can freely pass through Suez or the Strait of Gibraltar. UK can of cause declare war and stop this, but if doing so, Japan can conquer freely in the Pacific, so that’s not likely  :mrgreen:

• 1. Ok that makes sense for the 1st part. I am curious as to how you take France on the first turn if you’re starting from the 1939 start time.

2. This for whatever reason never crossed my mind. I just assumed you couldn’t do it.

• @KingKuba:

1. Ok that makes sense for the 1st part. I am curious as to how you take France on the first turn if you’re starting from the 1939 start time.

1. part of the turn: All eligible units attack Lorraine from Munich. Do not attack with any fast units into Poland etc. but non-combat them to Munich. 2. part of the turn: Attack Paris with all surviving units in Lorraine + all fast units in Munich.

I only use part of Luftwaffe in the 2. part. The majority is used in the North See

• Interesting strategy Munck! I never even considered attacking France on the first turn of 1939. I may have to look into trying that at some point, you know just to keep the other players honest. When you mention the North Sea, I assume you’re talking about a naval battle with the British correct?

• @KingKuba:

Interesting strategy Munck! I never even considered attacking France on the first turn of 1939. I may have to look into trying that at some point, you know just to keep the other players honest. When you mention the North Sea, I assume you’re talking about a naval battle with the British correct?

Yeah. Sinking the two UK Light Carriers on round 1 really opens up the Atlantic for subs and putting pressure on the UK.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Munck:

When you LL, the ship that carries the unit is the originating countrys origin until it hit the receiving port. So, as Japan is at peace with the Allies, it can freely pass through Suez or the Strait of Gibraltar. UK can of cause declare war and stop this, but if doing so, Japan can conquer freely in the Pacific, so that’s not likely  :mrgreen:

Am I misreading this? I didn’t think LL actually used ships in any way. It’s just something that you send from a major factory from your home country to a harbor in the receiver player’s country, without the use of ships, right?

I definitely understand the point of Japan passing through the Suez while at peace with the UK, but I believe those Japanese unit(s) would still stay Japanese.

Have I misunderstood the rules?

• No Chris, I do not think you have the rules mixed up here. I am pretty sure you do not have to send an actual ship with lend-lease goods attached to it.

And I agree with you Munck, you take out those light carriers and you relieve a headache for the Germans and give one to the British. It is too bad convoy raiding isn’t as effective as it was in the war up until America’s entry and the progression of ASW tech.

• @Chris_Henry:

Am I misreading this? I didn’t think LL actually used ships in any way. It’s just something that you send from a major factory from your home country to a harbor in the receiver player’s country, without the use of ships, right?

I definitely understand the point of Japan passing through the Suez while at peace with the UK, but I believe those Japanese unit(s) would still stay Japanese.

You use a ‘virtual’ ship, to trace the shortest sea zone path to a port in the receiving country. (to account for submarines).
    So you’re right, no actual ships are used  :mrgreen:

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Got it, just wanted to be sure I wasn’t misunderstanding your strategy!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m