Factories and Facilties—Where, How, When, and Why?

• People don’t really buy as many facilities as they use to for some reason.  I personally always have a hard time justifying spending 15 IPCs on a move bonus or scramble.  Factories, I love, but I have become quite predictable with these.  What are your favorite places to buy facilities and factories and why?  What does it do?

Here are some common examples, ideas, and situational places for each country:

Germany:
    Major Factory:  Romania…
    Minor Factory: Romania, Poland, Finland, Western Ukraine, Rostov, Caucasus, Iraq, Persia, Egypt, Greece, Yugoslavia, West India
    Naval base: ?
    Air Base: Holland, Norway, Ukraine, Greece, Normandy, ?

Soviet Union:
    Major Factory: impossible
    Minor Factory: Finland, Romania, Hungary, Poland, Western Ukraine, Caucasus
    Naval Base: …
    Air Base: ?

Japan:
    Major factory: Korea?
    Minor factory: Kiangsu, Shantung, Manchuria, Kwangtung, French Indo-China, Malaya
    Naval base: Indo-China, Siam, Kwangsi, Kiangsi, Kiangsu, New Guinea, East Indies, Wake, Midway, Solomons
    Air base: Kiangsi, Yunnan, Hunan, French Indo-China, Siam, Korea, Okinawa, Palau, East Indies, New Guinea, Solomons, Marshalls, Malaya

United States:
    Major factory: impossible
    Minor factory: Alaska, Korea, anywhere in Europe
    Air base: Aleutians, Alaska, Iwo Jima, Palau, Marshall’s, Mariana’s, East Indies, anywhere in Europe, North Africa
    Naval base: (the whole Pacific?), North Africa, Norway, the Balkans

China:
    Stop laughing

United Kingdom:
    Minor factory: Egypt, Persia, Iraq, Anywhere in Europe, Asia if Japan is…dumb?
    Naval base: Malta, Norway, Balkans, Middle East, North Africa
    Air base: Ceylon, Malta, Gibraltar, Europe if needed, Egypt, Middle East, North Africa

Italy:
    Major factory: upgrade Southern Italy
    Minor factory: Greece, Russia, Middle East, Egypt
    Naval base: North Africa?
    Air base: Sicily, Sardinia, Egypt, Greece, ?

ANZAC:
    Minor factory: Queensland, French Indo-China (I’m serious), Middle East
    Naval base: New Guinea, Solomans, East Indies
    Air base: Western Australia, New Guinea, East Indies, Solomons, Japanese Islands?  I’m just shooting off

France:
    I thought I told you to stop laughing?

Please share your thoughts.  I would like to increase my facility purchases and creative factories.

• '18 '17 '16

Hainan is a good place for a Japanese Naval Base. You get all of the benefits of a Naval Base in SZ 36 and it’s difficult for the Allies to take away from you, unlike if it was on the mainland.

BTW, you can put a British major on Hong Kong so it’s not impossible. Quit laughing.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Japan cannot really avoid the need for 1 or more factories, and depending on their game plan, 1 or more built bases to facilitate the destruction of UK.

The UK can manage without any, though it is very difficult to survive the endgame without building 1 or more factories.

The other powers already have a ton of bases and choices.  There are some specific situations where they may be helpful, but that has to be balanced against the cost of building them instead of units and them getting captured by the other side.  If the base or factory only gets you an advantage one time (examples of that could be; building a Normandy Airbase, or a Queensland Factory), and you don’t see how its going to be used at least two times to gain an advantage in the remainder of the game, I’d decline to build it.

• I’m with taamvan.  The issue for most powers is cost vs use.  Up front cost (15 ipc) versus how useful it will be.  Often, not enough.  Most things that could be solved with a new air/naval base or factory are also solved by spending the extra 15ipc or are not worth it because you only want that new air base for one turn and one specific use.

/I’d love to know if anyone has actually built a Hong Kong factory with UK Pacific

• The UK Pacific can build a major in Malaya and Kwangtung. France can upgrade the factory in Southern France to a major, but probably won’t have the chance. The ANZACs in Egypt should try to get Iraq or Persia if possible.

• The Japanese have probably lost in their side of the board if Malaya or Hong Kong are solidly in the hands of the Allies.  At that point China probably can maintain control of mainland Asia with just a bit of reinforcement from British planes and a few ground units.  There is no need for a new UK Pacific factory, IMHO.

• Hi all,

Some thoughts

Russian naval base on Soviet Far east opens up some shenanigans for US Navy. Esp if planning an invasion of Japan.
    US factory on Korea if you can get it and hold it.
    UK building factories in Persia-Iraq gives a ton of options for helping Russians or India
    Japan of course on the mainland because factories can’t be sunk. (even major on Korea if going after Russians)

That’s about it. I just can’t see anybody else needing them in the first 5 turns when things are tight. I usually find that by the time Germany is thinking about it they have to be watching the back door and so will get more use out of french factories or captured russian ones than needing to build.

Maybe late game there are opportunities for allies to build greece, spain or turkey or something like that to get more tanks rolling into Europe

• Probably a one time use…but a naval base on java let’s you hit Sydney from the top or bottom in one turn. End game, if Anzac has one blocker, this is a possible move to get the win before possible USA reinforcements arrive. Totally situational gambit.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

@thespaceman:

Hi all,

Some thoughts

Russian naval base on Soviet Far east opens up some shenanigans for US Navy. Esp if planning an invasion of Japan.
    US factory on Korea if you can get it and hold it.
    UK building factories in Persia-Iraq gives a ton of options for helping Russians or India
    Japan of course on the mainland because factories can’t be sunk. (even major on Korea if going after Russians)

That’s about it. I just can’t see anybody else needing them in the first 5 turns when things are tight. I usually find that by the time Germany is thinking about it they have to be watching the back door and so will get more use out of french factories or captured russian ones than needing to build.

Maybe late game there are opportunities for allies to build greece, spain or turkey or something like that to get more tanks rolling into Europe

American naval base on aleutian islands provides much the same as an far east russian base with the benfiths of america paying and repairing it. It provides a fun twist to the game if Japan navy is busy in DEI and out of position

• Some interesting stuff here though it does seem to be that facility purchases are rare.

As for Kwangtung and Malaya, I did overlook those, but building a factory on them with the UK is impractical.  A major IC in Hong Kong?  How is that right?

Has anyone ever tried an air base in the Middle East?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

There are a lot of times where an airbase would be necessary on Egypt or the Persian Gulf just because you are trying to protect whatever blocking fleet is over there.  But a superior move would probably be building better units earlier, and more UK factories early, if you can afford that because the airbase probably isn’t going to be saving you just delaying the assault.

The defensive geometries of the ME are awkward, you cant get defensive flyers to Egypt from India, or vice versa.    You cant reach Moscow from Iraq without one, or from Moscow to India.    Even the airbase on Egypt is 1 move short of Moscow.  That means that an airbase doesn’t remedy most of your movement issues, it would be for scrambling and defense.

• I am sure this is common for scrambling, but is an air base on Malta worth it for the move bonus?

• I often build a minor IC with Anzac in Queensland in round 3 or 4

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Malta is usually too easy to take over, but I think in the earlier editions there was one there.  It doesn’t help Italy too much, if you want them to fight over Malta, Cypress, Sicily etc. make them each worth $.

The uk lurks over by Egypt and US over by gib so they typically don’t form up in that SZ.  If they can form up, its by standing on Italy’s $$.

• For what it’s worth. Games I play have a naval Base in Java and 2 UK inf. 1 fort and an airbase in Malta. Italy always tries to take Malta turn 1 to deny a UK N.O. Of 5  Icps.
    UK never gets to use it in games.

• Would an air base on Gibraltar work well for move bonus (forget scramble)?

• '19 '18 '17

my last game i put an air base on Persia so i could build fighters there to send to Russia and they could also attack with mech inf from persia as well.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@AAGamer:

my last game i put an air base on Persia so i could build fighters there to send to Russia and they could also attack with mech inf from persia as well.

You don’t need an air base to fly a fighter from Persia to Russia. It’s only 4 zones away.

• '19 '18 '17

yes you do if you want to attack rostov and caucausus and volgograd and not just send the fighters to moscow.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

CDG it lets you reach Egypt or Norway, which could be a key part of your KGF.

I wouldn’t forget the scramble though, it lets you protect both sides so you can skonch Italy’s bonus with 1 DD at the same time you make SZ91 untouchable.  Still, I don’t recall building it in any recent game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m