Presidential Election (as a current event- watch the tone or it's gone)

• thats part of what i was saying is that i am moving on  :wink:

Clinton and Mccain won NH.
    any one else find it odd that Clinton stool a line from Edwerds and also got teary eyed right before? i think both were just ploys to gain votes and it worked.

• @stuka:

If I don’t understand it…. then why did you just state, nearly the same thing here?

I don’t see where I repeated anything.

That’s my point. We can label it a “preview” yet if it was only that, candidates would not take it as seriously.

Hell, have an Oregon caucus or a Arkansas one… I just don’t find it justified for other states is what I am saying if Iowa always gets to be the leader of the choosing. Oh sure, it may not have a direct effect on super tues… but it does carry an underlying one.

Why shouldn’t candidates take the Iowa Caucus seriously? Especially if it is the first indication of how the election might go?

Read more from Switch’s post above.

@Pervavita:

i can argue that it was relavent and there are facts to back it, but i see no reason to argue it. it was simply a statment directing at when some one passed the buck to the wrong (IMO) man.

I showed how easy it was to pass the buck on someone when no facts are presented.  I knew exactly who Balung was talking about, but imitated him in jest.  But I could still make an argument for the person I mentioned.

• @Jermofoot:

@Pervavita:

i can argue that it was relavent and there are facts to back it, but i see no reason to argue it. it was simply a statment directing at when some one passed the buck to the wrong (IMO) man.

I showed how easy it was to pass the buck on someone when no facts are presented.  I knew exactly who Balung was talking about, but imitated him in jest.  But I could still make an argument for the person I mentioned.

i’m not going to reply other then to say, we were told to stop that discusion.

That was a huge win for Hillary last night.  That might have put her back in front runner status.

A nice win for McCain too, but I still don’t see him getting the nomination.

• Yeah, I don’t see Hillary winning either.

Her haircut alone, should impact her failure.  :mrgreen:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I don’t think so, DM.  Look at how New Hampshire votes usually.  Of course McCain and Hillary ran, they are both the extreme left of their respective parties.  Iowa, on the other hand, is more central then New Hampshire, I believe.

It’ll be interesting to see how South Carolina votes.  They killed McCain after he rose in New Hampshire in the 2000 primary.  Let’s remember, McCain is already a loser, he has to over come that AND push on to win.  The other candidates have never, to my knowledge, lost a presidential race (even a primary.)  So they already have a leg up on McCain.

As for Mrs. Bill Clinton, I think she just had name recognition in New Hampshire coupled with her history of being ultra-left.  But she’s also a part of the old guard and, I think, the people of this nation are looking for a new generation to take over.  We’re tired of the Clintons, the Bushes, the Kennedys, the Kerrys, and the rest of them.  I find it hard to imagine anyone over the age of 50 getting elected this year.

I don’t want it to be true, but if Mitt isn’t nominated as either Pres or Vice Pres, then my money is on Obama because he’s young, he’s energetic, he’s charismatic and he is not a Vietnam Veteran nor is he an Anti-War Protester/Hippie from the 60’s still clinging onto life because of medical miracles like some of the rest of them.

Actually, if I had my druthers, I’d want Geri Ryan to run for the Republican Nomination. She’d get all those old perverts to vote for her and she’s smart enough to get the women to vote for her too.

• i thought Rice would have been a good runner on the R billot, she would have both Clinton and Obama’s “advantages” as a woman and black. on top of that she has real experiance in internatonal afairs.

I think Rice would have been great.

Geri Ryan would also be a great candidate!  :-D

At the moment Mitt has the most delegates with his two second places and I think he won WY too (whenever that was).

By big win for Hillary, I ment more in the fact that if she lost it was probably over for her since she is typically very strong in the North East as you said.  Plus they can now play up the “comeback kid” card.

• @Pervavita:

@Jermofoot:

@Pervavita:

i’m not going to reply other then to say, we were told to stop that discusion.

I don’t see where I continued it.

@Cmdr:

It’ll be interesting to see how South Carolina votes.  They killed McCain after he rose in New Hampshire in the 2000 primary.  Let’s remember, McCain is already a loser, he has to over come that AND push on to win.  The other candidates have never, to my knowledge, lost a presidential race (even a primary.)  So they already have a leg up on McCain.

McCain is definitely more familiar than the others, barring possibly Giuliani.  However, some residents may recall the insidious push polls conducted against McCain in SC that did make a difference.  Either way, I don’t think the fact that he did not get the nomination previously automatically paints him in a bad light.  I hope that what he stands for matters more, but you could be right…

As for Mrs. Bill Clinton, I think she just had name recognition in New Hampshire coupled with her history of being ultra-left.  But she’s also a part of the old guard and, I think, the people of this nation are looking for a new generation to take over.  We’re tired of the Clintons, the Bushes, the Kennedys, the Kerrys, and the rest of them.  I find it hard to imagine anyone over the age of 50 getting elected this year.

You just declared Obama a winner by default.

I don’t want it to be true, but if Mitt isn’t nominated as either Pres or Vice Pres, then my money is on Obama because he’s young, he’s energetic, he’s charismatic and he is not a Vietnam Veteran nor is he an Anti-War Protester/Hippie from the 60’s still clinging onto life because of medical miracles like some of the rest of them.

Romney has definitely placed quite strong in Iowa, Wyoming, and New Hampshire, but his faith and back-and-forth stances could hurt him.  He’s kind of a mixed bag, really, sometimes staunchly supporting conservative related topics, and others, a more urban “liberal” stance probably brought upon him due to location.

I find your choice of President very surprising, comparing the two, but at least your second choice relates to the last paragraph.

Actually, if I had my druthers, I’d want Geri Ryan to run for the Republican Nomination. She’d get all those old perverts to vote for her and she’s smart enough to get the women to vote for her too.

Eh, it seems to be a popularity contest anyway, so why not?  Although, as we all know, those old perverts are sheep in wolves clothing, waiting for the chance to change their stance in a stall of a public bathroom.  8-)

@Pervavita:

i thought Rice would have been a good runner on the R billot, she would have both Clinton and Obama’s “advantages” as a woman and black. on top of that she has real experiance in internatonal afairs.

Actually, I think both of those things go against her.  People would vote for a white woman or black man before a black woman.

And I think it’s really telling that you don’t see anyone from the previous administration running.  I don’t think it’s in anyone’s interest to do so, and they were wise enough to see that beforehand.  I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that this is the first time (?) that an incumbent VP has not run for POTUS (or it’s been a very long time).

@DarthMaximus:

By big win for Hillary, I ment more in the fact that if she lost it was probably over for her since she is typically very strong in the North East as you said.  Plus they can now play up the “comeback kid” card.

I agree.  Maybe not completely out, but definitely in danger of dropping out.

Well, he does have a point.  Mrs. Rice would be able to short circuit both the argument of being the first black president and the argument of being the first woman president and force the election to be about issues, not gender or race.  I just don’t think she could out Clinton, Clinton or out Black Obama.  Especially after the smear campaigns against her in 2005 and 2006 (which I swear were done specifically to make sure she never decided to run in the first place.)

Anyway, why don’t we elect our president through a reality show like American Idol?  Since it seems obvious to me that no one really cares how any of them vote or their attendance records or even if they want to enforce the laws of the country or not.

• I stand by my 2004 prediction that Rudy Guilliani will be our president. These petty small bit states mean nothing in terms of delegates. Its all media hype. They don’t have any Brittney Spears news to report so they talk 30 hours a day with Robert Kennedy comparisons and crying ‘human’ candidates but its all fluff.

and yes i am the type that tells the end of the movie before you watch it too.

Id start thinking how to make money off his presidency.

Reserve the internet address “Rudy.com
    Trademark the words: Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
    make slogans that could be used for a ‘small fee per use’ basis.

• i think it was the 1920’s was the last time, and the reason we don’t know is because our VP is too old IMO.
    Jen is right, Rice would have ether forced the election to be about issues or at the vary least split the votes that were cast on the bassis of “i want a woman Pres” or “i want a black Pres”.

also no one can out Clinton a Clinton, the crying was a act of pure geniouss yesterday.
    i find it funny that H Clinton keeps saying she has 35 years experiance and yet came out yesterday and said (paraphrasing) “I listened to you and have just found my voice.” so after 35 years of experiance she just got a clue on what she stands for.

We all know that Mrs. Bill Clinton stands for whatever will get her elected, well, at least until she is elected.

• Anyway, why don’t we elect our president through a reality show like American Idol?  Since it seems obvious to me that no one really cares how any of them vote or their attendance records or even if they want to enforce the laws of the country or not.

That would HILARIOUS!  :-D

Have them all sing a song and dance then have America vote via text message XD

@Bean:

Anyway, why don’t we elect our president through a reality show like American Idol?  Since it seems obvious to me that no one really cares how any of them vote or their attendance records or even if they want to enforce the laws of the country or not.

That would HILARIOUS!  :-D

Have them all sing a song and dance then have America vote via text message XD

Darlin, it’s already a song and dance show!  Not a one of them ever follows through on their campaign promises!  May as well put em on national television and whomever entertains us best in 16 episodes (43 minutes each, with 17 minutes of commercials scattered through it) and garners the most votes (by users calling 800 numbers, who cares if they’re registered to vote?) gets to be president for 4 years!

• hillary far left??? she voted for Iraq, vowed to keep troops in iraq for years when shes president, voted to label the iranian revolutionary guard as a terrost organization and has taken more money from defense lobbyists than any other candidate AND publicky defended taking money from lobbyists.

if edwards stays in it, hillary takes the nomination.

• '19 Moderator

BTW, I apreciate the civility exercised so far in this thread, It makes my life a little easier. 8-)

• Well, dzrt, you know me. I love being civil. Especially when I talk politics with Jen, Bung, Darth Max…. sh!t… everyone on this thread nearly.

Honestly, at this point, I think Edwards would be EXTREMELY WISE to offer his services as Obama’s Vice President.  Edwards is young and white, so he can bring back the young generation and keep the white males and allow Obama to ride the race card very heavily to get the black vote back away from the Republicans (who have been eroding the black and Hispanic votes from the democrats for a long time now.)

The two of them, together, would obliterate Hillary.  It would be like the race between Reagan and Mondale! (for those of you who do not know, that was about as one sided a land slide for Reagan as you could possibly imagine without having a Baghdad Election (someone with a gun in the voting booth asking you, politely, to vote Saddam.))

• i think you could get the same “Boost” to the R camp if a two of them banded together, say McCain (good for war), and Huck or Mitt (Huck and Mitt have hit eachother too much to work well together).
    Thompsan as he isn’t one of the big leaders may be a good choice though as he is popular but he has Bush’s big problem… he can’t sell his ideas, not because he has trouble talking in public but because he just dosn’t have the charisma (ironic as he is an actor).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m