• I recently played a game where Russian navy played a significant role.

Around mid-game, Russia started cranking out one sub per round. German fighters were far too busy dealing with US/UK landings in WEU, so the subs stuck around.

After Russia had amassed three subs, he then plunked down a carrier and two transports, having saved money, and landed fighters.

With 1 AC, 2 Tran, 3 Subs, and 2 Figs…the Russian fleet was too strong for German airforce to take on alone. The German BB was long since sunk, and the Russians had a clear path to Rome.

With America landing in Western, Britain in position to strike Germany (The Baltic fleet being a shadow of it’s former self), and Russia threatening Rome, Germany had too much to do. He pulled back on the East front, and the combined pressure on all three victory cities prevented him from retaking Rome from the Russians.

By the end of the next round, it was all over except the parades in Red Square!

Anyone else have ANY success stories about the Russian Navy???

• Actually umm… no.  :-P The orig. Russian sub is typically IS the Russian navy.

What round did Russia make this big navy purchase? And what was Japan doing (or not doing) to allow this? Just wondering. ~ZP

• If the US/UK were making that much headway in Europe, and Germany and japan were unable to bother russia to the point he could save money for a big fleet purchase, wouldn’t those ipcs have cleared a path to rome/berlin even quicker and in more force if they were spent on infs and armor instead of a bunch of boats??  Sounds like the game was already in hand for the allies and russia was just playing around.

• 2007 AAR League

Im going to make a short statement on Russian navy purchases: NO!!

• :-P
    A russian sub built in the Caspian sea would be more entertaining and useful.  :roll: Your opponents will either be unable to continue due to uncontrollable laughter, or fear that it must be some kind of crazy trap.  :wink:
    Anyway, a DD and 3 transports might work in the late part of the game. Something to keep in mind.
    Aretaku, thanks for sharing.

• The Red October as i call it made it all the way to off the coast of japan and sank a good portion of its
    Navy.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Could be fun.  My thoughts are that Japan was probably pretty well contained as it was and England and America were busy beating the German’s up giving Russia free time and extra money to buy this naval equipment, right?

• if you have excess money to buy navy with russia i’d rather spend it on fighters and then use the one sub as sort of a fodder pieace. that way once your navy objective has been covered you can switch to land easily and i think fighters are great.

• @Cmdr:

Could be fun.  My thoughts are that Japan was probably pretty well contained as it was and England and America were busy beating the German’s up giving Russia free time and extra money to buy this naval equipment, right?

Very correct.

Britains first turn in the Pacific was perfect (Borneo, NG taken…Jap sub and tranny sunk), and Japan’s attacks in his subsequent turn were disastrous…4 of 6 Jap fighters dead by the end of his turn.

Germany also never took any of Africa…failed to take Egypt in Rd 1 due to extremely lucky dice on Britain’s part. This, coupled with the +5 IPCs from Japan, put England in excellent position for Rd 2.

Russia started building one sub per round around rd 5-6, right as both US and UK were finally fully set up to land in Germany or WEU with 8 units per round each. Rd 8 or 9 Russia builds AC/Tran…Rd 9 or 10, WEU and SEU fall…Axis conceded the following round.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@cyan:

if you have excess money to buy navy with russia i’d rather spend it on fighters and then use the one sub as sort of a fodder pieace. that way once your navy objective has been covered you can switch to land easily and i think fighters are great.

Actually, if you needed fodder pieces for Russia, I’d go with Transports.  Then you can shoot down planes. :P

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m