• We having a discussion now where if Germany or Italy cant activate Spain as an allie and seeing that for Germany sending supplies and such to Spain during the Spanish war and Spain in return sent troops to the front line with Germany.

So why not have a rule where Germany can place 1 Spain inf in Romania for the first 4 turns in game ?

• @SS:

We having a discussion now where if Germany or Italy cant activate Spain as an allie and seeing that for Germany sending supplies and such to Spain during the Spanish war and Spain in return sent troops to the front line with Germany.

So why not have a rule where Germany can place 1 Spain inf in Romania for the first 4 turns in game ?

I don’t see why not. Essentially, it’s a pro-axis bid of 12 IPCs. Just up the Allied starting bid to compensate.

Two questions I do have: which version of the game is this rule for and what, if anything, are you using to differentiate between Germany/Italian infantry and the new Spanish infantry?

-Midnight_Reaper

• @Midnight_Reaper:

@SS:

We having a discussion now where if Germany or Italy cant activate Spain as an allie and seeing that for Germany sending supplies and such to Spain during the Spanish war and Spain in return sent troops to the front line with Germany.

I don’t see why not. Essentially, it’s a pro-axis bid of 12 IPCs. Just up the Allied starting bid to compensate.

Two questions I do have: which version of the game is this rule for and what, if anything, are you using to differentiate between Germany/Italian infantry and the new Spanish infantry?

-Midnight_Reaper

My 40 game thats posted at top of house rules thread.

My Spanish inf will be painted a different color as all my countries are.

• Your house, your rules.

But, if you ask me, that Spanish Division was just another group of foreign volunteers that joined the German army, take an oath to AH, was trained in Germany and used German field grey uniform, of course with a national symbol on the sleeves, like all the other foreigners too.

The size of an A&A infantry unit is perhaps 100 000 men, and Spain only sent like 18 000 men, not enough for one A&A unit, and you want to give Germany 4 units for free ?

And what about all the other foreign volunteers ? You want to paint them too in national colors ?

• @Narvik:

Your house, your rules.

But, if you ask me, that Spanish Division was just another group of foreign volunteers that joined the German army, take an oath to AH, was trained in Germany and used German field grey uniform, of course with a national symbol on the sleeves, like all the other foreigners too.

The size of an A&A infantry unit is perhaps 100 000 men, and Spain only sent like 18 000 men, not enough for one A&A unit, and you want to give Germany 4 units for free ?

And what about all the other foreign volunteers ? You want to paint them too in national colors ?

I havent put in game yet. Thanks for the further in depth history on it.

• '21 '18 '16

We have events in our HR for Global 1940 kind of OOB but not.

You roll 2 dice at the beginning of the turn for each power.
    Germany can get Franco to join as follows.

A roll of 5 thru 9 is no events

A roll of 11 results as follows:
    11 – Franco joins the Axis powers. Spain can no longer remain neutral due to increasing pressure from Hitler.
    Place German units consisting of 8 INF, 1 armor, 1 mobile infantry, 1 artillery, 1 fighter, 1 naval base, 1 airbase, 1 Minor Industrial complex in Spain. Place 1 transport and 1 destroyer in SZ 92. Place 1 submarine in SZ 91. Morocco place 1 INF (This event is negated if Spain is ever seized by the Allies prior to the event.)

• @Narvik:

Your house, your rules.

It was a total of like 45000 troops in all mostly volunteers from Spain. Still not enough to warrant a 1 free inf.

• @seancb:

We have events in our HR for Global 1940 kind of OOB but not.

You roll 2 dice at the beginning of the turn for each power.
    Germany can get Franco to join as follows.

A roll of 5 thru 9 is no events

A roll of 11 results as follows:
    11 � Franco joins the Axis powers. Spain can no longer remain neutral due to increasing pressure from Hitler.
    Place German units consisting of 8 INF, 1 armor, 1 mobile infantry, 1 artillery, 1 fighter, 1 naval base, 1 airbase, 1 Minor Industrial complex in Spain. Place 1 transport and 1 destroyer in SZ 92. Place 1 submarine in SZ 91. Morocco place 1 INF (This event is negated if Spain is ever seized by the Allies prior to the event.)

seancb

This may work in your game but this is not historical. Germany had plans to move troops into Spain to counter any Allie invasions. But Franco kept stalling Hitler and backing out of all plans with Hitler. He was kissing UKs boody. Francos demands were also to high pissing off Hitler. Some say Franco wanted it all but stay neutral.
    Spain was suppling Germany with ore so maybe have in game Germany NO receives 1 or 2 icps per turn for ore. Once Spain is captured then Germany loses NO.

• '21 '18 '16

The reason we did this is because it was too easy for USA to bounce over and kill them instantly.

We are assuming this to be an invasion essentially all Spanish troops are conscripted and come under German power.

Not completely historical by any means but it lies on a roll chance of 1 in 18 and the event roll is only once per turn so it doesn’t happen too often.

It used to be only 4 inf divisions but it was too easy to overrun with the USA.

Again we are not looking for historical accuracy but some would say we should. If I sent you the remainder of available events you would likely say none are historical as well. We are really looking for some randomness to add fun to the game.

Sean…

• @seancb:

The reason we did this is because it was too easy for USA to bounce over and kill them instantly.

We are assuming this to be an invasion essentially all Spanish troops are conscripted and come under German power.

Not completely historical by any means but it lies on a roll chance of 1 in 18 and the event roll is only once per turn so it doesn’t happen too often.

It used to be only 4 inf divisions but it was too easy to overrun with the USA.

Again we are not looking for historical accuracy but some would say we should. If I sent you the remainder of available events you would likely say none are historical as well. We are really looking for some randomness to add fun to the game.

Sean…

Totally agree. Im doing the same thing in my game with some randomness but trying to put in as much history as possible to a certain point. I do have 4 inf on Spain as a neutral. I may have to add more. We will see if its To easy for US to take Spain in this weekends game.

Not to go off topic but whats your Event Card for Turkey ?

• '21 '18 '16

We left Turkey alone. We felt it would open up too many paths for both sides to cause issues with game balance.

PM me and I’ll send you our stuff.
    Maybe you can use some of it.

We like it

• '19 '18 '17 '16

In some of our home games we have used Seancb’s event card house rule (some changes) and we quite like the randomness which changes each game we use them in.

As for Spain, if your adding it as an Axis friendly ally it definitely needs to be beefed up to stave off the coming onslaught from the US.  Or if just to give Spain time for Germany/Italy to send reinforcements.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m