Tjoek's A&A Anniversary OOB Map file (Updated March 23rd)

• Sponsor

@robert:

whats a 46x24 map cost if you don’t mind me asking

Well, my print shop recently increased my prices which I wasn’t happy about… but they’ve told me they are locked in now. I getting the 46X24 printed on adhesive vinyl with a cold lamination to reduce scratches, than they will mount it on styrene which will give it durability and allow it to lay flat… after taxes it comes to $148.89 (Cnd).

• @Young:

@robert:

Well, my print shop recently increased my prices which I wasn’t happy about… but they’ve told me they are locked in now. I getting the 46X24 printed on adhesive vinyl with a cold lamination to reduce scratches, than they will mount it on styrene which will give it durability and allow it to lay flat… after taxes it comes to $148.89 (Cnd).

Hi YG, with the cold lamination step, are you still able to roll up the vinyl mat and have it still lay out flat? I need a portable solution for when I print my map. If not, how durable will a map printed on vinyl be without the cold lamination step during play and also rolling it up for transport and storage? I will find out the material that is available for me to print on where I am at. The person printing my map told me it was a high quality waterproof vinyl material (I can’t remember the exact name of it), but she told me it will last. Thank you.

• Sponsor

@2Huskies:

@Young:

@robert:

Hi YG, with the cold lamination step, are you still able to roll up the vinyl mat and have it still lay out flat? I need a portable solution for when I print my map. If not, how durable will a map printed on vinyl be without the cold lamination step during play and also rolling it up for transport and storage? I will find out the material that is available for me to print on where I am at. The person printing my map told me it was a high quality waterproof vinyl material (I can’t remember the exact name of it), but she told me it will last. Thank you.

I won’t know how well the cold lam map rolls until I see it, I’ve never got it before but my old maps are scratched up a bit and I figure it’s worth the money for added protection. I’ll let you guys know more when I get my map next week.

• Sounds great YG! I’m looking forward to seeing how your map turns out!

• Awesome update… so is the Italian (fasces) roundel version pending, or are we on our own for that one?

@Tjoek:

Please know that the German roundel is the correct one from an airplane roundel perspective. If you want to display the flag of Germany during the war you’re right about the change.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts I will create a version with the correct Italian roundel (the black and white one), but personally I don’t feel much for adding the German flag on the board… Furthermore it’s the flag and in my opinion you should change the other nations to their flags as well and it’s easy enough to add to my map file yourself.

Just a quick shout-out here… the Japanese “roundel” in the game IS the Japanese flag, NOT their Roundel… but nobody complains of the Japanese Flag being used in game while the others are roundels… minor point of contention… the German roundel is the roundel, but if it were changed to their flag, it would NOT be the first such occurrence in the game, since the OOB map already has a major axis power flag in place of a roundel.

In any case, no biggie… my main point of contention is the Italian/Iranian roundel… shouldn’t be there for Axis Italy in any way shape or form… as you correctly mentioned earlier, it should be the fasces… that’s the only roundel i’m really wishing were changed on the map. Having Iran’s roundel for Italy is really off-putting.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Nowhere:

Awesome update… so is the Italian (fasces) roundel version pending, or are we on our own for that one?

Yes that is pending. I will await the printed result from YG to see if anything else needs changing before I start making multiple versions.

@Nowhere:

@Tjoek:

Please know that the German roundel is the correct one from an airplane roundel perspective. If you want to display the flag of Germany during the war you’re right about the change.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts I will create a version with the correct Italian roundel (the black and white one), but personally I don’t feel much for adding the German flag on the board… Furthermore it’s the flag and in my opinion you should change the other nations to their flags as well and it’s easy enough to add to my map file yourself.

Just a quick shout-out here… the Japanese “roundel” in the game IS the Japanese flag, NOT their Roundel… but nobody complains of the Japanese Flag being used in game while the others are roundels… minor point of contention… the German roundel is the roundel, but if it were changed to their flag, it would NOT be the first such occurrence in the game, since the OOB map already has a major axis power flag in place of a roundel.

You are right about the Japanese roundel actually being their War / Naval Flag. But have you considered their real roundel? In my opinion it would simply not look that nice.

Other artistic deviations from the ‘real’ roundels are:

• USSR: has a fictive roundel based on their star roundel and their hammer and … (don’t now the English word  :-)) from their flag

• Anzac: has a fictive roundel that seems to be based on war medals from Australia

• Dutch: has the pre/post war roundel. Just before and during the war they changed to an orange triangle

• Canada: didn’t use the maple leaf roundel before a decade or two after the war

@Nowhere:

In any case, no biggie… my main point of contention is the Italian/Iranian roundel… shouldn’t be there for Axis Italy in any way shape or form… as you correctly mentioned earlier, it should be the fasces… that’s the only roundel i’m really wishing were changed on the map. Having Iran’s roundel for Italy is really off-putting.

One thing I like to point out is that the so called Iranian roundel really was the Italian roundel since pre WW 1. This changed into the fasces which is the correct one to be used on the map. Only after liberation of south italy the italian airforce started to use the current italian one (red outside, green inside).
    And something else: if you would use the modern Italian roundel it will look very close to the France one, which might not be ideal from a gaming point of view.

Long story short, I will create a fasces version of the map :-D

• @Nowhere:

@Imperious:

But you know my map redo is 100% vector, no image loss at any scale!

I really like your map Imperious!

I have this map in 3 x 6 f. I dont know why you just dont print this one up. It has your roundels you want. If you dont like the Canada-China territories just put Canada-China or Japan roundels on map. Just sayin.

• @SS:

@Nowhere:

I really like your map Imperious!

I have this map in 3 x 6 f. I dont know why you just dont print this one up. It has your roundels you want. If you dont like the Canada-China territories just put Canada-China or Japan roundels on map. Just sayin.

Map overload… if i’m not mistaken, IL has multiple versions of the AA50 map, and (as I recall), the one with the changed roundels is a solid color nations map?!? While the one using the more “textured” map (for lack of a better word) that IL has are the original OOB roundels? I dunno, I remember seeing the different roundels on IL’s map but there was a reason I didn’t go with it, thought it was the solid colors.

To be honest, Italy is a bigger sticking point with me than Germany, and to that end…

@Tjoek:

Long story short, I will create a fasces version of the map :-D

Hooray!

–----

I’m still debating if I will modify the German emblem or not on my own end… as it’s a PNG/JPG, it shouldn’t be too hard to modify 6 roundels… i’m just lazy and not as firm on changing Germany as I am on Italy.

• '17 '16 Customizer

Canada requires the old leaf, which was approved in 40… in 65, the leaf was changed to the 11 point… in your roundels, if you choose to use the leaf, the red dot would also still be accurate, make sure it’s the old one, and not the one since 65… the old one looks more like a leaf rather then some clip art leaf.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@siredblood:

Canada requires the old leaf, which was approved in 40… in 65, the leaf was changed to the 11 point… in your roundels, if you choose to use the leaf, the red dot would also still be accurate, make sure it’s the old one, and not the one since 65… the old one looks more like a leaf rather then some clip art leaf.

We’re getting a bit off topic with this interesting discussion about the roundels  :-D. You are correct when it comes to the modern vs old maple leaf, which I forgot about when I said Canada started using their maple leaf only decades after the war. That only holds for the modern clip art leaf.

But my resources tell me that Canada only started with the first maple leaf roundels just after the war:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Royal_Canadian_Air_Force
    http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/382/Roundel-Round-Up.aspx

Anyways, I’m not intending to change the roundels of any nation except for Italy. If I opt for updating the original artwork to more crisp and clear vector roundels I’ll make sure it is at least the older style detailed maple leaf. Thanks for pointing that out Sired!

• Ya, talking about Canada’s roundel on the AA50 map thread… with all due respect to our Canadian friends,  in AA50, Canada is just another UK territory, there’s not even an ANZAC power in AA50.

It’d be like discussing Italy’s roundel on a map thread dedicated to the 1941 map… where Italy is just another German territory.

Our group is so happy with the re-release of AA50 though… we did play and enjoy Global, but it was just a huge time commitment that some in our group struggled with… we enjoy the quicker pace of AA50 and the fact Italy is it’s own power  (we have one guy in our group who even loves to play Italy). There’s things I miss about Global, but we just seem to get the group together more often after switching to AA50.

I digress… can’t wait to see the AA50 map updated with Fasces roundels for Italy.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Nowhere:

Ya, talking about Canada’s roundel on the AA50 map thread… with all due respect to our Canadian friends,  in AA50, Canada is just another UK territory, there’s not even an ANZAC power in AA50.

:-D My mistake. Is was working on the Global map while replying in this thread about Anniversary.

• AA50 map with Italian Fasces Roundels??? Still coming???  :?  :-D

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Nowhere:

AA50 map with Italian Fasces Roundels??? Still coming???  :?  :-D

Yes it is coming next to one or two versions with an income tracker at the bottom of the map. Just waiting for YG to get his first print to ensure there are no other things to change that we missed.

• @Tjoek:

@Nowhere:

Yes it is coming next to one or two versions with an income tracker at the bottom of the map. Just waiting for YG to get his first print to ensure there are no other things to change that we missed.

Awww… income tracker optional? Still looking for just a straight up OOB map like the one you have now with just Fasces for Italy… hope if you add an income tracker that’s optional, not forced.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

@Nowhere:

@Tjoek:

@Nowhere:

Awww… income tracker optional? Still looking for just a straight up OOB map like the one you have now with just Fasces for Italy… hope if you add an income tracker that’s optional, not forced.

Like I said: the straight up OOB map with Fasces will be NEXT to other versions with an income trackers. It’s not forced, you can simply choose the file you want to print.

• Awesome, can’t wait to see it!  :-D

• @Tjoek:

@2Huskies:

Hi Tjoek,
    By chance are you planning to do any work as far as enhancing the border colors in the Soviet territories to make them stand out more, which was part of my original request earlier in this thread? If not, I know someone who may be able to help me with his Photoshop software, but I’ll have him wait for the new file at this point. I look forward to seeing the new file and your new enhancements!

Sorry I forgot about your message when the thread went into the quality / resolution discussion. With the colour and contrast corrections I’m currently working on I believe the borders should be more visible so please let me know how the file looks when it’s finished later this week.

Hey Tjoek,

So earlier on I passed your original map file to my friend who enhanced the Soviet and German borders to make them stand out more. Then, when your new file came out, he did them again along with Italy. Your new file definitely was much nicer in its color balance, even for the borders. Thanks again for the work you did. My personal version just has them stand out a bit more, and the Soviet borders colored deep red.

If you are interested, I can provide you my personal version for you to include as another option in your Dropbox. I told my friend I would at least see if you were interested in the work he did already in case you wanted to include this alternate option for people to download. Perhaps it would save you some time than if having to do it yourself if this request is made by others.

I haven’t actually printed the map file yet as I am waiting to see how Young Grasshopper’s map turns out first. Please let me know if you want to take a look at this alternate version for possible inclusion in your maps versions. If not, it doesn’t bother me.  :)

Thanks again for all the work you are doing on this map and on the Global 1940 2nd Edition map!

• Sponsor

They printed it without the anti-scratch laminate that I asked for, gotta wait now until the end of the week for the right one… in the meantime, they sold me the defective one for 40$ (which my buddy Iron Stitch has already claimed). The colors look good on the one they showed me.

• Was that a matte laminate or gloss YG? (I assume matte) So the map is good to go other than your missing Laminate?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m