[Global 1940] Need Advice on a sub +1 DEF house rule

• Hey folks!

I have a game coming up next week against my local tactical genius (CREEEEEEEEED) where I will be Axis to his Allies and he has two house rules.

-Two hitpoint ships require D6 dollars in port to repair (they do not repair for free).
    -Submarines are 2/2, not 2/1.

My good friend and mentor Colt tells me that submarines are already considered the best purchase available on the naval front, and while we talked about some potential options on how to exploit this “super sub” house rule, I wanted to open up the question to a broader audience.  I can’t convince my friend to not use his house rules, so I am hoping to demonstrate how unbalancing they can be - if they can be unbalancing.

For context, I play a semi-conservative J2/I2/G3 war, played out about as you might expect.  I can see opportunities for Italy to buy submarines, but I’m hard pressed to find opportunity elsewhere - Japan’s early focus is transports and asian land factories and troops, while Germany’s is early mech to push east followed by bombers and fighters on G4-5-6-7.

Advice welcome.

Moderator’s edit: Added tag [Global 1940] to title.

• Convoy UK back to the stone age.

A G1 buy with the carrier and, hopefully, a sub, cruiser, and your battleship parked in SZ 109 (up to 8 ipc) on G2 ought to teach him a lesson as any canon fodder subs you stick there, SZ 106 (Canada 3 ipc) and SZ 98 (Egypt 3 ipc) will hold up pretty well.

Italy should only need one sub for Cairo/Jordan.  You can take Egypt over on I3 or I4, so I don’t think its worth spending on another sub.  Japan can send subs to India to park there.  Once they’re down to under 10 ipc, losing another 2-5 a turn will be brutal.

Odds difference of scoring a hit:
    at 1    /    at 2
    16.6%        33%

With 2 rolls
    31%            44%

with 3 rolls
    43%            70%

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

The D6 repair does not accomplish much I think. I am not sure who’s advantage this is. Subs beeing 2 in defence is a bigger deal and right away I would say this favour the Allies big time as it becomes much easier to convoy Japan. In essence Japan needs to buy much more destroyers and will lose one 1/3 of the time instead 1/6 of the time. I would buy a lot of american subs in the pacific and (place 1 in “every” convoy zone) a few bombers to try to kill off surviving Jap destroyers with sub and bomber

Also for Europe I would put 1-2 subs each in 93,99,105 and 125 and like 5 or so in 97

• Hey guys -

I see this has been moved into house rules…and that a moderator tagged this as Global 1941.   This is for Global 1940 - I’ve never played Global 1941, so I don’t know if there are differences or if the advice would be the same for Global 1940.

Moderator’s edit: Corrected typo in title.

• @Dashofpepper:

Hey guys -

I see this has been moved into house rules…and that a moderator tagged this as Global 1941.   This is for Global 1940 - I’ve never played Global 1941, so I don’t know if there are differences or if the advice would be the same for Global 1940.

Typo corrected, thanks.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m