• Been playing GLobal 1940 for the last year or so and really enjoy it but getting kind of tired of the map and wanted a new one. So, I decided to create a new map using the Global 1940 map, Global War 1939, and small parts of the Global 1936 map (Australia and some sea zones distances). I used the Global War 1939 map as my starting point and attempted to keep most of the distances similar to Global 1940 for land with a few places taking one or two turns longer to get too.

Here is the map:
    imgur.com/1lrTi6R (Copy and Paste into browser because I can not post links for some reason)

Some example changes:

• Berlin to Moscow is 1 more turn.

• Rome, Paris, and Berlin are all 1 turn further away.

• The distance to Moscow from the far east has been drastically increased.

• The Pacific Islands are closer to their geographical locations. (Guam is no longer above the Philipines)

• Distances between the USA and the rest of the world (Gibraltar, Japan, etc.) have been increased.

• Europe has grown in size to fit the new territories

• The Atlantic part of North America has been stretched further south to get closer to actual geographical locations.

Looking for feedback and suggestions on where to improve the balance of the map particularly around the Pacific Islands and the Philippines hopping from one to another with naval bases and around Kiev/Stalingrad for the German push or anywhere you see the board is completely broken.
    I have also not decided on where to put the ocean border in the north Pacific underneath Alaska. (in cyan)

None of the land territories have income values yet, just working on spacing and distances at the moment and maybe some extra territories if needed.

Thank you!

• An interesting take but if I could do it myself I could, but I honestly think in order to make this game fairer, both the Pacific and Atlantic needs to be bigger but obviously that takes more map space. For example, I have yet to see Axis and Allies try to give the allies a pain in the a$$ that exist in real life was the Bomber Gap in the Atlantic where Wolf Packs would operate against merchant ships because land based bombers and fighters couldn’t reach thus requiring carrier fleets to locate these submarines giving the Kreigsmarine and Italian Marina an edge because sinking a carrier is just as good as taking a merchant ship.

• @master4709:

Been playing GLobal 1940 for the last year or so and really enjoy it but getting kind of tired of the map and wanted a new one. So, I decided to create a new map using the Global 1940 map, Global War 1939, and small parts of the Global 1936 map (Australia and some sea zones distances). I used the Global War 1939 map as my starting point and attempted to keep most of the distances similar to Global 1940 for land with a few places taking one or two turns longer to get too.

Here is the map:
    imgur.com/1lrTi6R (Copy and Paste into browser because I can not post links for some reason)

Some example changes:

• Berlin to Moscow is 1 more turn.

• Rome, Paris, and Berlin are all 1 turn further away.

• The distance to Moscow from the far east has been drastically increased.

• The Pacific Islands are closer to their geographical locations. (Guam is no longer above the Philipines)

• Distances between the USA and the rest of the world (Gibraltar, Japan, etc.) have been increased.

• Europe has grown in size to fit the new territories

• The Atlantic part of North America has been stretched further south to get closer to actual geographical locations.

Looking for feedback and suggestions on where to improve the balance of the map particularly around the Pacific Islands and the Philippines hopping from one to another with naval bases and around Kiev/Stalingrad for the German push or anywhere you see the board is completely broken.
    I have also not decided on where to put the ocean border in the north Pacific underneath Alaska. (in cyan)

None of the land territories have income values yet, just working on spacing and distances at the moment and maybe some extra territories if needed.

Thank you!

Welcome !

You need to have like 10 posts or more to be able to post pics of map. Your post count is below your site name.

• '21 '18 '16

Damn that looks like a tough game for anyone. Would probably add about 5 more rounds of play in my estimate. Looks good. The hard part will be developing the opening setup!

• @seancb:

Damn that looks like a tough game for anyone. Would probably add about 5 more rounds of play in my estimate. Looks good. The hard part will be developing the opening setup!

Ya few more turns. Hes focusing it on the 39 map more with the added sea zones and territories. We play 39 games all the time.

seancb I thought you played the HBG 39 game No ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?f5hpt6bws4gylpz

Master4709 you may get some idea from this map I use for my 40 game. This map is where it all started for HBGing.

• SS I used that map as a reference when I first started. I liked the land territories but the distances between the USA and Europe/Japan are too short for me. It is only 3 zones to France and 4 to Japan if you go through by Alaska. I am trying to make it at least two rounds for Europe and three for Japan (can be two if a naval base is built on midway)

Do you prefer the convoys of Global 1940 or the Global War map you just linked? I can see the appeal of the convoys as their own zones and are maybe easier to keep track of.

Also, does the shorter Sahara desert make for a more dynamic game with more options for an Italian invasion of the rest of Africa?

• seancb I still have not decided on a starting data or setup yet. My goal, in the end, is to have one for 1939, 1940, and 1942 all on this map.

• Caesar Seriona, I know what you mean with the bomber gap. I was thinking of reducing the range of all aircraft by 1 point so that US bombers and fighters can no longer get to Britain in 1 turn and require aircraft carriers to bring them across the Atlantic and maybe giving the aircraft carrier the same bonus as an airfield?

• @master4709:

I and we like the convoy boxes on map I linked. But I do like the G36 map for convoys too that Ive not played on even thou I have the map. Maybe keep that in mind and maybe some of the railroads lines too.

Italy in my setup on map I linked is pretty strong in my game and yes they pretty much control upper Africa all the time.

Here is a link to some of my game reports and map pictures.

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=38459.msg1575596#msg1575596

Just a reminder on this map I linked I only use the airbases and naval bases printed on map. Cant buy any. So it is harder for the Europe side to get Berlin for the allies and my naval bases only allow you to move 3 spaces only from a naval base to a naval base in non combat. So u do need an extra turn for naval movement as you mentioned in your post.

With just the one airbase in Great Britain only and non in London you would need h bombers to SBR Berlin. Thats a move of 8. H Bombers M7 plus 1 for base. Keeps allies honest in Europe but yes in Alaska to Russia yes is short but japan knocks down anything US try’s to do there.

• '17 '16 '15

Hi master 4709

Cool project. One thing I’ve wanted to do is split SZ 96 from the northern most point of Tobruck to SZ 97. This would prevent Gib, S France and Egypt from being 1 move. You could still land troops in Tobruck from either Gib SZ.

Probably would help Axis a little, but you’ve slowed them down a little on their Russia push so maybe they’d offset somewhat.

I was gonna just call it 96A, 96B for simplicity.

Just a thought : )

• SS, that is an interesting idea with naval and air bases. What made you decide to not be able to purchase any during the game and limit 3 movement to non-combat only? Can they still be damaged by SBR?

Are railways needed for a map this big for the USA and USSR?

I think I will add the convoy zone boxes to the map.

• @master4709:

SS, that is an interesting idea with naval and air bases. What made you decide to not be able to purchase any during the game and limit 3 movement to non-combat only? Can they still be damaged by SBR?

The idea was for strategy and forcing the 1 extra turn for combat. Im not a big fan of bases but everybody else likes them. Yes the Air and Naval bases can be SBRed. Airbases still can scramble 3 planes for naval battles. Plus get the +1 move.

Are railways needed for a map this big for the USA and USSR?

For me we use the railway for Russia, US and Burma road. 2 Inf or 1 inf 1 Art can move 2 spaces ( Russia move 3 if they get there NA ) only per turn. The railroad is marked on my map.

I think I will add the convoy zone boxes to the map.

Yes I would too. Germany needs these boxes for game more.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m