• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1aGH6NbbyE

At 12:50 during this video it gives a translation of what the German soldiers were saying to the American soldiers who shot them (or murdered them) at Normandy.

The whole “Look, I washed for supper” line.

While what was portrayed in the movie was a war crime, when you hear the translation it is even worse.

• Most people know this. Anyone with history knows about allied war crimes even if you don’t count the ones from USSR.

• '17 '16 '15

Brad Pitt in “Fury” has some good ones.

What’s the “Point” ? Americans are bad or what ?

• @barney:

Brad Pitt in “Fury” has some good ones.

What’s the “Point” ? Americans are bad or what ?

I can’t see the point unless the point is that US did commit war crime which once again, anyone with history knows this. No one denies it.

• @Zooey72:

The whole “Look, I washed for supper” line.

While what was portrayed in the movie was a war crime, when you hear the translation it is even worse.

And what did they say, since these two German soldiers didn’t speak german?

• Second question:
    How was this a war crime?

• I don’t know the direct translation but in a nut shell, they said something like, “Don’t shoot, we’re not enemies, we’re Dutch.” And then they dropped their weapons hence being shot which is a war crime for shooting unarmed soldiers. They’re from the Ostlegionen units however I am not entirely sure if this is historical accurate in the sense that if any Dutch soldiers in the Heer were at Omaha beach.

• @Caesar:

I don’t know the direct translation but in a nut shell, they said something like, “Don’t shoot, we’re not enemies, we’re Dutch.” And then they dropped their weapons hence being shot which is a war crime for shooting unarmed soldiers. They’re from the Ostlegionen units however I am not entirely sure if this is historical accurate in the sense that if any Dutch soldiers in the Heer were at Omaha beach.

Not Dutch, but Czech. They are Czech and speak Czech.

• Fair enough but from what I know about these Eastern units, as far as I know, only some beaches had these units and Omaha wasn’t one of them.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

many occupied nations forces fought alongside their former enemies.  What was the option?

modern men like us free from conscription and coercion can say all we like but when you’re called to fight for the good guys or the bad guys its not formulated as a real free-will choice.  You can lose your honor and resist…hide in the forest and run but its still not much of a choice.

reading about the poles who had whole armies after dday 80000 men with allied help and most of them refused to go back to an occupied Poland.  After all they’d endured–battle, defeat, retreat…living abroad watching their countrymen die

• Those poles did not go back to Poland because they argued the government for which they fought for no longer exist and Poland to this day denies that government from pre WWII.

As for captured soldiers, it makes sense. If you annex a nation, you only have two choices, either the former military cease to exist or you annex the military too. Which we know that Hitler took both options at different nations, some small countries had their military annexed and others we forced to become civilians with the exception to this rule being France.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m