Grasshopper's 8 Sided System (G40)

• '14

I get it now. Artillery increases by 1 as well as the mechs and infantry. Not like the OOB rules that the artillery stays the same and the others just increase.

• Sponsor

@PainState:

now for the top level question.

What is the purpose of using a d8 system? To level out the odds of a very lopsided battle result? make the results fall more to the mean or average? Reward combined arms for better results on offense?

as an example.

World in Flames went from a d6 to a 2d10 system to average out the combat results and reward combined arms types of combats. The two games are not apples to apples but the principal is the same……average out the results of combats but still allow for that glorious roll.

For me it simply spaces out 14 units on an 8 sided spectrum instead of cramming them into a 6 sided spectrum. It also allows subtle increases or decreases in odds for some units that seem to weak or to strong under the current system.

• Sponsor

@warTorn:

I get it now. Artillery increases by 1 as well as the mechs and infantry. Not like the OOB rules that the artillery stays the same and the others just increase.

Correct, we did this so that the majority of land units won’t be stuck in the lower 1/8 and 2/8 spectrum.

• @Young:

For me it simply spaces out 14 units on an 8 sided spectrum instead of cramming them into a 6 sided spectrum. It also allows subtle increases or decreases in odds for some units that seem to weak or to strong under the current system.

Yes, that’s a good point.  A wider distribution allows a finer gradation of results.  Or, to look at it from the opposite direction, the narrower the distribution is, the closer you get to a binary hit/miss system that resembles flipping a coin rather than rolling dice.

• These dice are sweet. Only took 3 days to get from Arizona. Now all I need is d10s. I think I may have bookmarked the site on one of my computers.

I will use the d8s for my Stg Bombers and Rockets for SBR. Thanks again YG.

image1(2).png

• I know im biased about this…
    but I think this system is a great “refresh” with the old system…
    this is needed after all these years of being cramped in a six sided system…
    look forward to the battleboards and anything else that comes about with this new system

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@bigalmeacham:

I know im biased about this…
    but I think this system is a great “refresh” with the old system…
    this is needed after all these years of being cramped in a six sided system…
    look forward to the battleboards and anything else that comes about with this new system

This is exactly how I feel about it, and why I’m right in line with Grasshopper on it. Alot of future and possibilities in a slightly expanded dice system.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Interesting, for a long time I’ve been thinking just using the regular A/D value system w/8 sided dice would loosen things up in terms of downplaying crazy luck, i.e. suppressing the number of lucky 1’s.  But never put much thought into it.  This looks interesting.

Why the adjusted A/D values for certain units though?  Keeping inf at 1 and cost 3 vs ftr now at 5 at cost 10 seems a little overpowered for the ftr.

That being said, I think this is an idea whose time has come.

• '17 '16 '15

Actually the ftr is a little less powerful. It was 2 out of 3 = 66.7%
    It’s now 5 out of 8 = 62.5%

Offense is same.

I agree. I like this idea a lot. Hope to try it soon

Edit
    Ahh I see your point now. Sorry : )

• '17 '16

@Karl7:

Interesting, for a long time I’ve been thinking just using the regular A/D value system w/8 sided dice would loosen things up in terms of downplaying crazy luck, i.e. suppressing the number of lucky 1’s.  But never put much thought into it.  This looks interesting.

Why the adjusted A/D values for certain units though?  Keeping inf at 1 and cost 3 vs ftr now at 5 at cost 10 seems a little overpowered for the ftr.

That being said, I think this is an idea whose time has come.

IMO, the issue about lucky “1” swing is due to higher cost unit being submitted to such defense roll.
    When giving more reasonable cost and combat value instead, loosing to a lucky “1” is easier to deal with bad luck.

• '17 '16 '15

This 8-sided malarky is preposterous!

It will never work!

Not until someone makes those lovely rounded d8’s with the nations flag symbol in place of the ‘number 1’.  Then this will be one of the greatest tweaks to an already excellent game, and praise will rain down to it’s creators.

Until then….bin it…ludicrous.

:wink:

• @WoodyWanKenobi:

This 8-sided malarky is preposterous!

It will never work!

Not until someone makes those lovely rounded d8’s with the nations flag symbol in place of the ‘number 1’.  Then this will be one of the greatest tweaks to an already excellent game, and praise will rain down to it’s creators.

Until then….bin it…ludicrous.

:wink:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• '17 Customizer

Looks interesting.  Would like to get some blank dice to make hit dice.

Strategic bombing is so difficult and costly already I seldom use or see it used.  Lowering the % seems as though it would render it completely unusable.

Just my 2 cents…

• The cruiser is more like a heavy cruiser or battlecruiser at 5-5 vs the battleship at 6-6

I suggest a new unit light cruiser at 4-4, your heavy cruiser at 5-5 and BB at 6-6

• You are referring to the St Bomber getting a lower defense percentage shot ?
    What if YG put in a SBR roll 1d8 +2 = damage per bomber ?

• Sponsor

@SS:

I LIKE IT!…this would definitely make bombing raids more palatable, and the need to intercept more prevalent.

• @Young:

@SS:

I LIKE IT!…this would definitely make bombing raids more palatable, and the need to intercept more prevalent.

Sweet. I use the d8 SBR in my WW2 40 game for stag bombers and rockets tech. Thats why I got the dice. It kinda gives you that 1 less Bomber being used to get max damage based on accuracy and from being shot down. But I dont use the +2 because my bombers cost 10 icps.
    H Bomber I use a d10.

• '19 '18 '17 '16

I just ordered the 8d and will try out your new values with the next home game and see how it goes.  Might need to print out a temporary battle board to keep everyone in line.  Lots to think about here!

• Plus your AAA shot at a plane goes from a 16.7% hit to a 12.5% hit with a d8 die.

@sjelso:

Looks interesting.  Would like to get some blank dice to make hit dice.

Strategic bombing is so difficult and costly already I seldom use or see it used.  Lowering the % seems as though it would render it completely unusable.

Just my 2 cents…

• Sponsor

@Hambone:

I just ordered the 8d and will try out your new values with the next home game and see how it goes.  Might need to print out a temporary battle board to keep everyone in line.  Lots to think about here!

I talked them into having a sale starting January 28th to February 2nd… 10 dice for $14.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m