• I like Nix’s idea. to have a profile thing for each person. I havn’t really played revised agianst many people here but you can rate me too.

• I didn’t play revised against you but, A&A Europe 1939 but, I would say you are an aggressive player(Attacking Canada!). You are definitely easy to play with and are polite. You do stand up though when you think another play has done something weird or illegal. That is a good thing though.

• 2007 AAR League

Refer to my comment about Nix. You were too agressive in the tourney game. It worked early because my Germany was getting some bad dice, but if you had used your Russian income to buy mass infantry with a small amount of offensive units instead of mostly armor and fighters you would have overrun me and I wouldn’t have been able to stop you.

• @U-505:

Refer to my comment about Nix. You were too agressive in the tourney game. It worked early because my Germany was getting some bad dice, but if you had used your Russian income to buy mass infantry with a small amount of offensive units instead of mostly armor and fighters you would have overrun me and I wouldn’t have been able to stop you.

I think what screwed Russia in that game was the Eastern Europe battle. I didn’t see teh 2 jap figthers there and then after i was told i pressed the attack agianst my better judgement.

• You just confirmed what U-505 said… over aggressive :-P

…and then after i was told i pressed the attack agianst my better judgement.

• 2007 AAR League

The point I was trying to make was that if you had purchased a better mix of units it wouldn’t have mattered. You could have pushed me back all the way to Germany without having to risk a 50/50 battle like Eastern Europe. You can assume that you were screwed in the game, but you could have made it a non-issue with the right purchases and if you can’t see that, you’re just going to continue to make those same mistakes whether you win battles like the one in Eastern Europe or you lose them. You don’t have to live and die by the dice. If you let your opponent do that, you will win many more games than you lose. Purchase correctly and outmanouver your opponent and you will minimize the impact that the dice have when they go against you.

• I think what U-505 is trying to say is that you can win with better strategy even if a few dice rolls go against you.  I once lost EVERYTHING I sent into sz52 as Japan (got zero hits – talk about bad dice), but still won the game.  How?  It was not by making risky attacks, I can tell you hat.  Remember when I posted the comment in your tournament game about playing an aggressive Russia?  What I was saying was you were playing WAY too aggressive.  Russia should NEVER buy all tanks and planes - never, never, never.  Most rules have exceptions, but not this one.  Russia plays a two front war, and the Russian player can’t ever forget that.  Slow down and play for the long term, not just for next turn.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@cyan:

@U-505:

I think what screwed Russia in that game was the Eastern Europe battle. I didn’t see teh 2 jap figthers there and then after i was told i pressed the attack agianst my better judgement.

There’s a reason you have a better judgment.  Listen to it. :P

• OKay I’ll try to buy more inf. thanks for the input
    and not attack unless i have too.

Well, I wouldn’t go so far as to say don’t attack unless you have too…sometimes you just have the extra units or the target is just juicy enough to risk it.

• 2007 AAR League

Yeah, you can attack wherever you want if it gains you something. All I’m saying is that you shouldn’t have your armor outrun your infantry to get to the enemy. Don’t expose unprotected armor to counterattack or throw away armor against fortified positions. Armor is much better used as a threat to make your opponent retreat and to defend territories you already control. Infantry does most of the work in this game so make sure that you have enough of them to protect your valuable offensive pieces. For example, when you have 30 IPC’s to spend, 4 arm, 1 fig looks menacing, but 5 inf, 3 arm or 4 inf, 2 art, 2 arm or 7 inf, 1 art, 1 arm are usually much better buys. And if you need a fighter for trading territories, 5 inf, 1 arm, 1 fig or 4 inf, 2 art, 1 fig also do the job well. And in every one of those cases, they are all better defensively than 4 arm, 1 fig, so you can end up advancing them into hostile territory easier because they can take more punishment.

• Yeah as much as people like to hide it, the infantry push mechanic is still very alive and well in A&A Revised. You should generally first whip out massive quantities of inf and slowly work some offense into it.  8-) (exceptions being mainly when building more inf requires more transports or complexes)

I dunno, I’ve had good success with the Chinese Attack strategy with England and America against Germany.

The strategy calls for the suicide of 6-8 units of English and American (each) units on the beaches of Germany every round killing off Germany’s infantry and making it much more expensive for them to trade with Russia.  Meanwhile, Russia walks in and takes the land trading lighter and turning on Japan.

Doesn’t always work and the trick is to have a bb or two for each nation and not use your fighters in the attack.

• The strategy calls for the suicide of 6-8 units of English and American (each) units on the beaches of Germany every round killing off Germany’s infantry and making it much more expensive for them to trade with Russia.  Meanwhile, Russia walks in and takes the land trading lighter and turning on Japan.

Doesn’t always work and the trick is to have a bb or two for each nation and not use your fighters in the attack.

That sounds kind of silly to me if you look at the dice on average, that’s like trading units at a 2:1 ratio (even with the bb shot), and it’s more expensive than 2:1 because Germany is only losing inf while the Allies are losing about half tanks half infantry. As strong as the Allied economy is, you can’t really afford to burn 64 IPCs (8 inf 8 arm) every turn to kill about 8-10 inf (24-30 IPCs). You’re burning up both unit and economic advantage, and the Germans should still be able to trade with the Russians for a number of turns. It seems to me like the US/US aren’t making any progress against the Germans (who are rebuilding defenses faster than the offense is building up), and now Japan can turn its full 50’ish IPCs against perhaps a 30’ish Russia.

I’m sure it can work, but there must be some other hidden circumstances.

• Bean, you are missing 1 element in that calculation… BUILD LIMIT

If the Allies are hammering with 16 divisions a turn, plus BB shot, anything better then 1:2 advantage Axis means that Berlin needs more forces for defense than they can build there.

That means pulling units from other territories, possibly including the Russian Front.

And the UK and US can build up a pretty big backlog of forces in the first several rounds if they play it right so that they do not have build limit issues for several turns…

Germany has to give SOMEWHERE with that kind of repeated pounding.  Then the Allies just change targets to the newly weakened area (or keep going and keep bleeding Germany dry…)

• Bean, you are missing 1 element in that calculation… BUILD LIMIT

If the Allies are hammering with 16 divisions a turn, plus BB shot, anything better then 1:2 advantage Axis means that Berlin needs more forces for defense than they can build there.

But it isn’t any better than 1:2 unless you get lucky. As for build limit, move the units you built in Southern to the capital. It’s not like you’re limited to solely the 10 units you build in Germany; you’ve been building in Southern. And 4 inf 4 arm 1 bb shot only takes out 3.2 units if the German defenses are enough to eliminate 8 units in one round, I was being generous in assuming 4 units.

And the UK and US can build up a pretty big backlog of forces in the first several rounds if they play it right so that they do not have build limit issues for several turns…

Yeah, so keep upping the backlog and lock Germany down without engaging in a bad trade of units. I’d rather not use my units at a 2:1 ratio, and that’s even worse if you look at the IPC cost since it’s half inf half tanks for just inf. In the long run you’re looking at losing 64 IPCs (8 inf 8 arm) to kill 7 inf, which is 21 IPCs worth (I’m rounding 6.4 units up). That means Germany is only spending 21 IPCs to keep both UK and US at bay, with anything additional being used to simply trade with the Russians. That means Germany could easily survive on just their core West/South/Germany which is 22 IPCs with the UK/US making no progress whatsoever. And it usually takes a long while before that happens, which means Germany is also building up its own additional backlog of units to trade with.

Something doesn’t smell right, or there is something else I’m not considering.

Germany has to give SOMEWHERE with that kind of repeated pounding.  Then the Allies just change targets to the newly weakened area (or keep going and keep bleeding Germany dry…)

Germany has to give somewhere if you keep piling up the units and reduce them to their core territories. They may not have to give anywhere if all you do is kill 7 inf a turn at the cost of 8 inf 8 arm.

Also to try to convince you if you look at TUV as one indicator of success, the Allies will be burning their net difference by 40 per turn in suiciding on Berlin. That’s not very good, and soon the Axis have a higher TUV. All it takes then is more economy which Japan should easily accomplish in Asia and Africa, and you can sign off your victory.

Holy, hell, did Switch actually defend one of my tactic posts?

Quick, someone check the space time continue-um, I think it might be ripping!

Anyway yes, the Americans and British are losing on the deal, but Germany’s losing faster.  America loses 8 units, England loses 8 units, Germany loses 10-12 units, Russia loses no units.

Of course, this is later in the game when Africa is secure from Germany so that England’s earning at least 24 IPC a round. (Hopefully more, I like 28 IPC a round myself, 6 infantry, 2 armor makes a good punch if accompanied by BBs.)

Eventually, I have found, Germany starts losing tanks.  It’s a different method of bleeding them which costs you more money individually then Germany, but as a team it costs Germany more then any individual nation.

• Anyway yes, the Americans and British are losing on the deal, but Germany’s losing faster.  America loses 8 units, England loses 8 units, Germany loses 10-12 units, Russia loses no units.

Well, if Germany’s stacked to instantly kill 8 units in one roll, then it’s more like 6-7 units. 10-12 is too high of an estimate; that might be true for the first time you bang on Germany’s door but after that he’ll be like “no more” and stack it higher.

But let’s just say your estimate is correct. That’s 30 German IPCs for 64 Allied IPCs. The TUV of the Axis is closing by 30 per turn, which isn’t good.

(Hopefully more, I like 28 IPC a round myself, 6 infantry, 2 armor makes a good punch if accompanied by BBs.)

That’s not a very good punch, that’s 2-3 hits if Germany has enough defenses to immediately obliterate you.

It’s true that it requires high stacking with 20+ units for Germany to instantly obliterate a force of 8 men, but is it wise to attack a stack like that? Germany is replacing the units it’s losing and has money left to spare, that doesn’t seem like a good trade to me. Germany isn’t going downhill anytime soon, and even if 15 turns down the road you manage to wear him out, the UK/US will have no units left in Europe (because you’re not building up units at all, you’re suiciding them to kill half the units you sent) while Japan easily ran Moscow over and has a huge pile of inf/tanks ready to rumble.

Honestly, I wouldn’t use it if Germany had the punch to all but guarantee they win in one round of combat.

If they had 15-20 units, I would.  15-20 units are not going to get 8 hits every time, doubt even most of the time.  Meanwhile, it’s only a 1:1 attack for the allies. (15-20 defenders vs 16 attackers + 2 to 4 battleships.)

• Just make it 2 battleships, unless you honestly purchase another battleship with both powers.

And while it looks 1:1, you have to consider split attackers, which significantly puts a damper in the amount of units you are killing.

If there are 20 German infantry, let’s just say they kill 7 units (I would normally count 6 but you like to go pessimistic). That leaves 1 arm with 50% chance of killing something. The first round with 4 inf 4 arm 1 bb kills 3.2 units, then the tank leftover kills another 0.5 units, for 3.7 units killed. That’s 4 units killed per that power, so 8 units total.

16 units to kill 8 units is a 2:1 ratio, and that’s a pretty tough sell.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m