• hi,

one question came up in our latest game…

if an defending/attacking carrier is destroyed do the fighters have to land immediately in a friendly territory if able or at the end of the combat if they survive/withdraw?

thx!

• They land at the completion of the battle.

They can move 1 space to a safe landing zone.  If no landing zone is within range, they die at the completion of the battle.

• thx!

doesn’t the 1 space rule count only for defending fighters?
    1 space for attacking too or is there any other restriciton(movement range or something similar)?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I believe the 1 space rule only applies to the defender, yes.

Attackers can continue moving provided they have movement spaces left to land in valid sea zones/land zones.

• thx a lot guys  :mrgreen:

• Jen is correct…

The defending FIGs can move 1 space to land safely.

Attacking FIGs can move the remainder of the allowed movement range.  If they have no moves left when they reach the battle (their only original landing choice was the AC that was lost during combat), or if no other landing zone is within range, they die.

• additionaly i have one question

lets say japan attacks the british fleet at india and india on the land way … the british fleet except the fighter is destroyed -> so the fighter can land in india due to the 1 space rule… can this fighter defend at the land fight? i guess not but im not sure…

thx again guys

• 2007 AAR League

All combats are simultaneously it lands if able after all combats have been completed, in non.combat move phase.

• Right, it actually does not land until the end of ALL combat.

So in your example, it COULD land in India, IF India did not fall to the enemy that turn.

If India did fall, and there was not an allied AC in a SZ adjacent to SZ35, then the FIG would die.

• @ETPlayer:

hi,

one question came up in our latest game…

if an defending/attacking carrier is destroyed do the fighters have to land immediately in a friendly territory if able or at the end of the combat if they survive/withdraw?

thx!

I’ve asked this same question in two A&A forums:

http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1199&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=8

http://aamc.net/bunker/forumsql/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=217

• @ncscswitch:

Right, it actually does not land until the end of ALL combat.

So in your example, it COULD land in India, IF India did not fall to the enemy that turn.

If India did fall, and there was not an allied AC in a SZ adjacent to SZ35, then the FIG would die.

A couple follow-ups…

1. Does the fighter still roll defense in the SZ combat before retreating?

2. The fighter can retreat regardless of how many attacking units remain in the SZ combat, correct? (This is the only instance of a defending unit “retreating” from a battle without being shot at that I can think of)

• The defending FIG does not have the choice to retreat.  It remains until the end of the battle.

The only time the defending FIG move comes into play is if the FIG survives the battle either by
    A) the attacker is destroyed or
    B) the attacker retreats.

• @ncscswitch:

The defending FIG does not have the choice to retreat.  It remains until the end of the battle.

The only time the defending FIG move comes into play is if the FIG survives the battle either by
    A) the attacker is destroyed or
    B) the attacker retreats.

Well hell…my friends and I have been doing that one all wrong for quite a while now!  :-P

Ya learn something every day.  :-)

• 2007 AAR League

quick question, probably an obvious answer

SS attacks AC 2 FTR
    sub hits in the first strike round, and kills the AC
    do the fighters get to strike back?
    Im sure the answer is yes, but I would think it makes more sense to say no

that sub attacks before anyone knows its there. those fighters dont get a chance to take off… in real life.
    of course it does take a little while for a carrier to sink…

• @mateooo:

quick question, probably an obvious answer

SS attacks AC 2 FTR
    sub hits in the first strike round, and kills the AC
    do the fighters get to strike back?
    Im sure the answer is yes, but I would think it makes more sense to say no

that sub attacks before anyone knows its there. those fighters dont get a chance to take off… in real life.
    of course it does take a little while for a carrier to sink…

Since there is no DD present, the carrier is sunk in opening fire.
    According to LHTR, subs can submerge AFTER any round of battle as long as no enemy DD is present.  This implies the ftrs do indeed get to fire upon the sub.

Of course, you could also w/d after the round of battle if the sub survived as well (instead of submerge)
    –-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other variant rules allow your more realistic observation of a true sneak attack, like A&ARe (Enhanced)…

sorry shameless plug there  :mrgreen:

• @ncscswitch:

Attacking FIGs can move the remainder of the allowed movement range.  If they have no moves left when they reach the battle (their only original landing choice was the AC that was lost during combat), or if no other landing zone is within range, they die.

Oh, so in combat move phase you can actually use all 4 movement points of a fighter? (if you have or will have aircraft carrier in the destination combat space)

• @tekkyy:

@ncscswitch:

Oh, so in combat move phase you can actually use all 4 movement points of a fighter? (if you have or will have aircraft carrier in the destination combat space)

yes, but then if you w/d from that battle, the ftrs that moved 4 can not come with you.

• Axis roll is correct in that if you move 4 spaces to combat, and the AC withdraws, the FIGs cannot retreat.

Also, you cannot partial retreat.

So once you pull back the ships, the FIGs also disengage from combat, even though they cannot leave the sea zone.

And to the prior question… yes the 2 FIGs would get their defensive rolls on the SUB.

• @ncscswitch:

Axis roll is correct in that if you move 4 spaces to combat, and the AC withdraws, the FIGs cannot retreat.

Also, you cannot partial retreat.

So once you pull back the ships, the FIGs also disengage from combat, even though they cannot leave the sea zone.

And to the prior question… yes the 2 FIGs would get their defensive rolls on the SUB.

Yahoo!

I’m 2 for 2… quiz me some more :)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Which is why, if you have 4 fighters and 2 went max distance, and you have to retreat, kill the ones that are bingo fuel first!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m