• @Cmdr:

Fine, you want allies with the axis with a bid of 4.5 rounded down to 4?  Since you claim the axis NEED a bid and that the average bid is 3-6 IPC. (3+6 quantity / 2 = 4.5)

Still don’t see how the allies even have a breath of a chance.  I’ve yet to see them win except in the very wild game where I was allowed a 24 IPC bid (cause the other guy also never saw them win!)

Where/how?  Here by forum or AAMC rated with their dice roller?

You choose, either is fine by me.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

AAMC doesn’t have a dice roller for AARe specifically, they just use their AAR roller and you make up for it.

May as well do it here, with the onsite roller so every die roll is open for everyone to see.  Nice log that way.  No one can complain they didn’t get the email cause it’s displayed right here. :)

As for placement of bid, make it an Artillery in Libya

• I think i will follow this game. Can it be played at these forums?

• @Imperious:

I think i will follow this game. Can it be played at these forums?

Certainly, follow along at http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10442.0

test roll for PBF rolling
    DiceRolls: 2@1 2@2 5@3; Total Hits: 32@1: (4, 3)2@2: (3, 5)5@3: (5, 2, 3, 1, 6)

• @Cmdr:

Otherwise, please stop telling me that it’s all fair and balanced and crud.  I’m lookin, and i’m not finding a game where the allies didn’t get incredibly lucky to find a win.  AFAIK this is about as broken as possible.

I will wait until we finish game two of “The Jenigma Enhanced Experiement” before I ask for a full retraction of the above statement.

@axis_roll:

@Cmdr:

Otherwise, please stop telling me that it’s all fair and balanced and crud.  I’m lookin, and i’m not finding a game where the allies didn’t get incredibly lucky to find a win.  AFAIK this is about as broken as possible.

I will wait until we finish game two of “The Jenigma Enhanced Experiement” before I ask for a full retraction of the above statement.

Well, in my own defense, the players I’ve been playing with were not exactly following the rules.  I won’t say they were cheating, they may have just been confused.  The theory was presented to me that attacking and defending submarines were immortal until discovered by a destroyer, thus, it was perfectly possible to have a submarine attack 3 battleships, 8 carriers, 16 fighters and 24 transports and win every time without losing the submarine, since the defenders could not retreat and could not fire back because they had no destroyer to find the submarine!

Given that scenario, all Germany has to do is send the submarine to SZ 2 and only Russia/Germany submarines could fire.  Or Send just a submarine to SZ 13 and all the fighters in Europe are free for other activities since the battleship there had no chance to defend itself before being sunk.  Etc.

You can see how I’d say it was hopelessly broken.

• @Cmdr:

Well, in my own defense, the players I’ve been playing with were not exactly following the rules.  I won’t say they were cheating, they may have just been confused.

You can see how I’d say it was hopelessly broken.

Oh I understand.

Which is why I want to wait until the end of the second game.

You mentioned about something else being broken from our first game :)

Yea, the economic attacks.  They’re always broken, they’re just MORE broken in revised I think.  (Mainly because there are even MORE ways to Economic someone.)

Not broken for either Allies or Axis, just broken in general.

• @Cmdr:

Yea, the economic attacks.  They’re always broken, they’re just MORE broken in revised I think.  (Mainly because there are even MORE ways to Economic someone.)

Not broken for either Allies or Axis, just broken in general.

at least in Enhanced, you can counter these economic attacks

so I think they’re not as broken as you might suspect.

The counters are not too effective.

For instance, if America has 5 heavy bombers attacking you, even if your gun DOES get one or two, you’re still screwed.  Add to that submarines off your coast (Japan) and rockets and there’s absolutely nothing you can do but wait for them to invade.

That’s what makes it completely broken, instead of just way too powerful.  Anyone one economic would be okay, all three?

• @Cmdr:

For instance, if America has 5 heavy bombers attacking you, even if your gun DOES get one or two, you’re still screwed.  Add to that submarines off your coast (Japan) and rockets and there’s absolutely nothing you can do but wait for them to invade.

That’s what makes it completely broken, instead of just way too powerful.  Anyone one economic would be okay, all three?

sending 5 bombers is totally inefective. lets say you have one die, thats 15 ipc loss. you did not bomb  anyterrtory for 15 ipc so you are taking a loss.

3 At Germany, 2 At Southern = 5 Bombers

You can do 16 IPC and only lose 1 Bomber making it a 1 IPC gain.

• @Cmdr:

I guess the best way for Jen to learn is to be shown through example.

talking about it just won’t get her there….

2d6 per bomber, 4 bombers survive.  Average damage is 3.5 per die, that’s 14 IPC on average and a good chance at 13 or 15 and a decent shot at 12 or 16.

not a bad trade for the allies if they are doing it every round.  Talking 5 Heavy Bombers against Germany and S. Europe. (Split, not each getting 5!)

• Well it doesn’t have to be a good trade. Allies has more IPC.

Heavy bomber is one thing but rockets are free and you can guarantee techs.

OOB’s arbitary “shoot one per territory per turn” and “be shot by one per territory per turn” spreads it out and is pretty sad for Germany.

Jet fighter is one partial counter but Allies can deploy the 6 AA guns much faster than Germany can deploy the say 12 fighters.

• @tekkyy:

Well it doesn’t have to be a good trade. Allies has more IPC.

Heavy bomber is one thing but rockets are free and you can guarantee techs.

OOB’s arbitary “shoot one per territory per turn” and “be shot by one per territory per turn” spreads it out and is pretty sad for Germany.

Jet fighter is one partial counter but Allies can deploy the 6 AA guns much faster than Germany can deploy the say 12 fighters.

1).  Rockets aren’t FREE.  You have to develop the tech and move them into position.  There’s some cost associated with them.
    2). Not sure what is meant by 6 aa guns firing.  Germany can only be subjected to 2 rocket shots a allied player turn (assuming they build no new ICs or don’t capture one).  There’s not many games where I’ve seen Russia with rockets.  So now we’re down to 4 rocket shots against Germany (2 Berlin, 2 Seu).
    3).  Jet fighters are cheaper than rockets and an effective deterant.  Stationing 4 jet ftrs in berlin gives you 4 ones to knock down a rocket, pretty good odds.  Oh… they also keep HB’s off you as well.

Remember Germany can re-use the same ftr defense shield against UK and then US rockets/HBs, so there’s no need for 12 ftrs.  If Germany were to only protect Berlin, the allies can only take $6 on UK’s turn and $6 on USA’s turn (max).  That’s not such a devastating economic loss that Germany can not deal with it.

So it ain’t broken…

• Both rocket and HB requires tech costs. I just meant that each rocket is free compared to chance of losing a bomber.
    12 fighters is to on average 100% knock out the rocket.
    No I am not saying its broken just possibly a stall for Germany.

AARe has convoy raid as standard. A new way to do economic damage during targeted player’s turn.
    Wonder if that means its logical or opportunity to reduce gameplay reliance on economic damage during enemy’s turns. Like make a territory lose up to its income during active turn and up to its income during passive turn.

• @tekkyy:

AARe has convoy raid as standard. A new way to do economic damage during targeted player’s turn.

Convoy raids only happen against UK, US and Japan.

Germany and Russia are immune to convoy raids.

• LOL!

I guess the Murmansk convoys and all the trouble the Soviets had actually getting lend lease is then largely ignored? This was actually meant for Soviets use only.

I suggest all nations receiving income from either in the form as aid or the money they receive from colonial possessions is subject to interception and attacks.

In the Mediterranean Italian supplies were attacked and sunk by Malta air elements. To demonstrate that could also be assumed under economic attacks as per those rules.

Yea, I’d have to say America and Germany would be more historically accurate when it comes to immunity from submarines.

However, a good way to balance CR would be very simple.  Submarines engaged in CR would have to roll to hit. 1d6 each, they hit on a 1 and do the appropriate damage given their distance.

Now it’s not automatic damage forcing the suicide of naval units to stop it or just accepting the passive damage.

Also, reducing HBs to LHTR damage would help out as well.

Otherwise, I could see the game being reduced to who can do the most economic attacks successfully, not who can out position the other.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m