• '18 '17 '16

So… the British just sailed their fleet out of the Med, flew their planes to South America, and walked everything from Africa to Calcutta so you could have the place to yourself? That doesn’t sound like them at all. Usually they put up much more of a fight. The Italians rarely have a single boat left after UK2 when I play the Allies. Usually their capital falls by the 5th or 6th turn. I’ve always been a KIF kinda guy. It would be fun to get together sometime and hash it out.

• Ok, from what i read is that a combination of:

US gets Full use of sz 102 by placing CVs there with Ftr’s and Bmbrs as air cover and DDs to fend off any lone some German SS.

While UK is building up London.

Should do the job of scaring a German Axis player away from a SL performance.

Usually the US may not buy a CV for ATL on T1 necessarily if they don’t assume a SL.
    Also Japan should not react any differently to avoid a give away of an SL by G.
    And basically it doesn’ t prevent SL b/c it is still the decision off G to wheter perform a SL or not.
    There are ways of trying to make a SL more unlikely but at the end it will be still G’s decision.

Not scrambling and Not sending away RAF is another way to make a SL less favourable for G.

Bids can make a SL less likely as well, to name a few.

A SL should allways overtrump the UK and catch him/her offguard.

That means for G:

110/111 and 106 seabattles should be as casualty less as possible, the IC be bombed to Stoneage and back with no Bmbr lost for G to even consider a SL.

In the end the dice will have the almost last saying.

Italy may play a role:
    They could indeed grab Gib and sending Ftr’s to W.Germany to aid G.
    But that is about it!

• GHG….I told Siredblood the same thing, I would love to play you in a game…Siredblood has seen my Sea Lion…I am always down for a game that challenges me. I learn from my mistakes or losses…high 5

• Argothair….think what you want…Troll I am to you, not offended…I don’t get offended easily…I’ll play you too…I have confidence in my strategy

• '17

@Leatherneckinlv:

Taking out UK by Sea Lion has 2 points, a strategic and tactical attack. You do not by any means take out UK until turn 4. Scotland is a must. Attacking the AB and NB was senseless by the German player in the video. By turn 4 if all has gone well Germany will have a fleet and 5 Bombers…6 maybe 7 transports. turn 3 buy by Germany is 70% for Russia…
    Italy will take out Morocco and Gibraltar…all of Italy’s concern is to make Sea Zone 91 a very heavy price to pay to enter. US can not and will not survive a double hit by Italy and then Germany in SZ 91
    I will say this you are looking at roughly 12 Italian Subs…AB on Morocco by Italy on turn 2…another AB on Gibraltar on turn 3…Italian and German planes for scramble plus the German fleet in 110 which will have a CV, BB, CA, 2 / 3 DD and 2 to 6 SS ( the Subs truly vary as it can be as low as 2 to possible 6) 5 Bombers to strike any US approach towards Europe

Turn 5 on Italy can secure North Africa for good.

At this point Germany doesn’t have to take out Moscow. Leningrad and Stalingrad will get you 8 cities, however by this time Japan has already won the war in the Pacific.

Russia will never be a threat to Germany.

Key factors are German buys

Turn 1 a strat bomber, DD, SS and arty (30 ipc)
    Turn 2 a CV, 4 APA, 1 DD, a strat bomber Arty as needed ( 68 to 73 ipc)
    Turn 3 a strat bomber and rest Infantry (50 plus ipc) here you may have to purchase 1 or 2 APA if necessary
    Turn 4 by Infantry Arty Mix for Russia ( 50 plus ipc)
    Turn 5 A couple of ships and all tanks (77 plus closer to 82 ipc)

Italy:
    Turn 1 APA (10 ipc)
    Turn 2 AB and all SS (from 18 to 28 ipc)
    Turn 3 AB and � all SS (33 plus IPC
    turn 4 all SS (35 plus ipc)

Turn 2 Germany hopefully has 3 subs in SZ 109, a sub in SZ 106 (iffy) and an Italian fleet of some sort…least being a sub in SZ 98 to convoy the UK

The more UK buys to prevent Sea Lion, the more luxury buys Italy can make

Some variances may apply in purchases however not by much

So Yeah…go ahead and make my day

APA=Naval Transport
    SS=Submarine
    DD=Destroyer
    CA=Cruiser
    BB=Battleship
    CV=Aircraft Carrier

Pretty much everything you said about Italy doing this and that seems very unlikely to me. I guess it could happen. In my experience this kind of stuff just won’t happen unless the UK’s dice only has 5s and 6s on all sides. Italy is not making 33 IPCs on turn 3 unless the UK player is brand new to the game. Italy can get Gibraltar or Morocco, but not both. If Italy can get up to 33 IPCs on turn 3, and secure Africa “for good” on turn 5, no need to execute Sea Lion in the first place; just waltz into Cairo and South Africa if you’re that good.

I’ve played over 100 games on triplea, maybe 10 in person games. What you describe just doesn’t meets an anomaly. I’ve had games where Italy blows up; but they’re outliers.

Turn 4 Sea Lion is pyhric.

• Back to the strategy….I stated there are variances to the purchases depending on what transpires. UK Taranto means less resources for Germany to take Sea Lion. Taranto means a full scramble to inflict max damage on UK, this will only delay by a round the Italian strategy however UK will never be a threat again during the game. I’ll take that. No Taranto and Italy has to be vigilant as UK can exploit an Italian error.

NOOOOO US at war till turn 4, this is a key
    NOOOOO DOW with Russia, make Russia declare war on Germany
    Convoy raiding and strat bombing UK starting turn 2 is a key
    Japan drives hard without bringing the US into the war, make the UKP do the DOW, now no penalty to Japan for going hog wild
    Japan neuters the ANZAC from all that income and Sydney is now in play
    Japan drives towards Moscow turn 1, so Japan will do a DOW against Russia…chase the far East forces or crush the Amur stack

There is no way a US player can ignore the Japanese. They will have to choose…split your economy and you are doomed

Turn 8 game should be clear enough as to who will win the game by turn 10 game should be over.

In many posts I have stated that UK Navy is not represented well, Russia not being able to attack Finland or doing a DOW on Germany an oversight.

there are other issues too…like DD and Strat bombers being way to overpowered. I also like the idea of a DD vs SS to be on a 1 to 1 ratio. Convoy raiding done in a completely different way, Nation specific National Advantages and unit progression and Tech (working with Siredblood on this)

My house rules game has a Strategic war and a tactical war (Supplies and fuel). My unit in the Gulf War would be nothing without the Log Trains behind us to feed the Beast.

• Ichabod….I am talking a about UK turtling to prevent Sea Lion…so yeah…my whole point is the UK must not stack London…realize you will lose your capital… now place units to be the nuisance …UK can not prevent Sea Lion

• '17

@Leatherneckinlv:

Ichabod….I am talking a about UK turtling to prevent Sea Lion…so yeah…my whole point is the UK must not stack London…realize you will lose your capital… now place units to be the nuisance …UK can not prevent Sea Lion

Germany can get London if it wants to but still lose the game. The UK should be able to neuter Italy and turtle in its capital.

What do you mean by UK “must not stack London?” I always do at least 6 inf / 1 fig on UK1 placed on London. Why wouldn’t you?

• '17

Lets play. I’m off work right now. I’ll take allies for 16. 1 fighter to Scotland, 1 sub to SZ98. UK1 I’ll do a standard 6/1 instead of 9 inf on London.

• What’s 16 mean?

• Is this not an OOB set up discussion? If it’s not……then my strategy is based on OOB…no bids

• '19 '17 '16

@Leatherneckinlv:

Is this not an OOB set up discussion? If it’s not……then my strategy is based on OOB…no bids

You’re saying Axis can usually win OOB, no bid? Not controversial.

• @Leatherneckinlv:

Italy:
    Turn 1 APA (10 ipc)
    Turn 2 AB and all SS (from 18 to 28 ipc)
    Turn 3 AB and  all SS (33 plus IPC
    turn 4 all SS (35 plus ipc)

May I ask how you get Italy to that much money that quickly?  I’m used to 16-18 ipc at the end of round 1, if Germany strafes Yugoslavia and leaves Southern France.  Britain always cleans up one of the Italian armies in Africa when I play (usually Ethiopia, if he’s being conservative), round 2 would be not much more, maybe 2 for Greece, 1-2 more in Africa, and probably lose 1 or even 2 there)

• Sponsor

I call it Italy’s 20 IPC bracket…

If they’re above it… they’re doing okay,
    If they’re below it… they’re in big trouble.

• It’s collecting 2 to 3 NO’s plus income for Italy….Playing a game as we speak…turn 1 Income was 18
    I will collect another 4 IPC’s on NO next turn but wont get the 3rd…had Tobruk done to me…so No North Africa

• '17

@Leatherneckinlv:

Is this not an OOB set up discussion? If it’s not……then my strategy is based on OOB…no bids

Ok cool. Well, no bid games do occur; especially in some table top groups. It’s great for people new to the game just learning. I thought you were referring to as if it’s played with moderately to very experienced players.

• With so many of the games gone to bid or balance mod in order to make the matches fair for equal opponents, I like it when these strategies can be applied to non-OOB rules.  I also don’t like plans that assume that the other player is low skilled and your armies can just obliterate all opposition.  Assuming that Italy will conquer N. Africa on turn 3 is an atypical outcome even when the Allies know that Sealion is coming.

• No discussion for a while now…

Any new conclusions about this strategy?

What’s about an airbase at Gibraltar and moving Egypt fleet west? Yet, I guess there was this topic deep down at forum’s splanchnic times ago but couldn’t find it…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m