Hazard Flashers Don't Create Parking Spaces!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Contrary to an apparently popular belief, the hazard flashers in your vehicle do not create a parking space where ever you park.

on more then one occasion, I’ve found myself driving down a road and suddenly having to dodge the moron parked in the street. I understand there are certain times and places when parking can be extraordinarily limited, such as on game days, etc.  I am specifically talking about parking on a typical day, however.

“If the vehicle is impeding traffic, it can be towed,” Officer Janice Bergman, HEPD.

Sheer laziness and stupidity are the only excuses for parking in a manner that inconveniences others.  The stupidity is compounded when people put on their flashers to try and make their illegal actions forgivable.  But the madness has spread!

It’s spread to buildings and off street parking as well!  Leaving your vehicle parked in a manner that prevents others from getting out of their own legitimate parking spots remains illegal, even if your flashers are on!

Handicapped spots are not temporary spots either.  In fact, using a handicapped space with flashers but without a handicapped placard or plates is just like using it without flashers and carriers with it the same $250 fine here in Illinois.

Why is this important?  BECAUSE YOU ARE PISSING ME OFF WHEN YOU DO IT!  Actually, it’s more then that, once you park and leave your vehicle, circumstances beyond your control can quickly put others in danger because your car is in the way.  For instance, firefighters may be blocked from access to hydrants or EMS cannot get to a critically wounded person, just so you could save walking 5 extra steps.

If you’re in a hurry, you’ve got two options: Be late.  Plan ahead.

Your hazard flashers are for EMERGENCIES.  They do not create magical parking spaces!

• @Cmdr:

They do not create magical parking spaces!

I believe in unicorns!  :-D

Seriously, I don’t think anyone’s stupid enough to believe that hazard flashers create a parking space wherever you park.

Well, then again, if you’re driving in Rhode Island or New Jersey . . . total maniacs.

Excuse Me? Coming from someone that spent his childhood and most of his teen years in RI, I must say that MA has much worse drivers… NJ is far worse then MA so lumping RI and NJ is close to sinning the unpardonable… The things RI’ers do that is unforgivable is fail to use turn signals, and they are pretty good with “parking spaces”, unless they own a 50K+ car…

GG

• '19 Moderator

@Cmdr:

Contrary to an apparently popular belief, the hazard flashers in your vehicle do not create a parking space where ever you park.

on more then one occasion, I’ve found myself driving down a road and suddenly having to dodge the moron parked in the street. I understand there are certain times and places when parking can be extraordinarily limited, such as on game days, etc.  I am specifically talking about parking on a typical day, however.

“If the vehicle is impeding traffic, it can be towed,” Officer Janice Bergman, HEPD.

Sheer laziness and stupidity are the only excuses for parking in a manner that inconveniences others.  The stupidity is compounded when people put on their flashers to try and make their illegal actions forgivable.  But the madness has spread!

It’s spread to buildings and off street parking as well!  Leaving your vehicle parked in a manner that prevents others from getting out of their own legitimate parking spots remains illegal, even if your flashers are on!

Handicapped spots are not temporary spots either.  In fact, using a handicapped space with flashers but without a handicapped placard or plates is just like using it without flashers and carriers with it the same $250 fine here in Illinois.

Why is this important?  BECAUSE YOU ARE PISSING ME OFF WHEN YOU DO IT!  Actually, it’s more then that, once you park and leave your vehicle, circumstances beyond your control can quickly put others in danger because your car is in the way.  For instance, firefighters may be blocked from access to hydrants or EMS cannot get to a critically wounded person, just so you could save walking 5 extra steps.

If you’re in a hurry, you’ve got two options: Be late.  Plan ahead.

Your hazard flashers are for EMERGENCIES.  They do not create magical parking spaces!

I’ll try to keep this in mind the next time I’m driving in Illinois :wink:

• 2007 AAR League

chicago driver cut people off as a local favorite pastime.  i’ve never seen people so uninterested about getting broadsided.  they seem to say “what, are you going to hit me.  no you’re not”.  good thing we almost always take the L and my brother rarely drives.  someone in omaha may just accelerate to hit one of those cut you off in the middle of the street a-holes.

We are not cutting people off, we are testing their combat reflexes!

Remember, doing the double nickel in Illinois can get you killed!

• @Guerrilla:

Excuse Me? Coming from someone that spent his childhood and most of his teen years in RI, I must say that MA has much worse drivers… NJ is far worse then MA so lumping RI and NJ is close to sinning the unpardonable… The things RI’ers do that is unforgivable is fail to use turn signals, and they are pretty good with “parking spaces”, unless they own a 50K+ car…

GG

Naw, the major problem with MA driving is all those RI and NJ commuters.

MA is prolly 3rd on the list, tho.

• Great analysis, Jen. Anyway, we europeans also have that trouble. Try parking in Seville or Cordoba (Spain), most times corners are occupied, double alinegment or so. Worse that, lots of times you park well and then comes a guy who parks behind you, so you can’t exit!  :x So you have to push the damned ship (yes, a ship, because most Andalucia vehicles are veeeery big). And try doing it at 50ºC in summer  :-P

@newpaintbrush:

@Guerrilla:

GG

Naw, the major problem with MA driving is all those RI and NJ commuters.

MA is prolly 3rd on the list, tho.

Only problem is all those “commuters” are MA license Plates…  :wink:

• Flashers???  :-o I wish that I get to see flashers every now & then.  “We are not cutting people off, we are testing their combat reflexes”  :roll:  NICE! I used to like your wit Jen, until that stupid comment! I drive a truck for a living. You wouldnt believe the idiots that I see every day. Most of them seem to think that a 50,000 pound truck can stop in about 30feet, at 50 mph.  Those are the same people that think that we have the turning radius of a skateboard. I’m pretty sure that new vehicles dont have turn signals either. But they do have cell phones! I’m always amazed at the complaints that my drivers and I get. The funny part is, how the story changes, as soon as I tell them that the truck is equipped with a video system. I urge the person calling, to file a complaint with the local police, so that I can forward the video to the officer, taking the complaint. I tell them their license plate number, and what I saw on the video.That usually shuts them up.  :roll:

@desertrat:

“We are not cutting people off, we are testing their combat reflexes”  :roll:  NICE! I used to like your wit Jen, until that stupid comment!

Lighten up, it was meant as joke.

I like to give trucks a wide berth.  2 ton car vs 25 ton truck…hmm…if it’s a cattle car, they get the whole dang road!  Those drivers would rather kill you then turn their load into dog food!

• There are better reasons to avoid livestock trucks…

I have had the misfortune of getting stuck behind a pig truck and had vast quantities of urine sprayed back on my vehicle.

Now if one is ahead of me and I cannot pass, I just pull off and wait 5 minutes then start driving again.

Pig urine, once it is drawn into your cars vents, smells for days…

• 2007 AAR League

oh man, rough.  coming from nebraska, i can understand that pain.  never had the piss, but pig shit flying out onto your car aint fun either, but at least the smell was contained to outside the car.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m