[House Rules] Axis get too much money

• '21 '20 '18 '17

terrain, weather, fog of war, spotting the enemy, logistics, etc. are all things that are probably better not to model in a “simple” wargame like AxA.

However, hit the House Rules forum if you want rules or inspiration;  all of these have proposed rules from the community!

• @taamvan:

terrain, weather, fog of war, spotting the enemy, logistics, etc. are all things that are probably better not to model in a “simple” wargame like AxA.  Â

However, hit the House Rules forum if you want rules or inspiration;  all of these have proposed rules from the community!

Well the appeal of A&A is it simplicity compared to other games even though it drives some, like me, insane that Japan can take out China and march to the gates of Moscow. I would never propose putting all these extra layers of complexity on the game because it would ruin it. If I want that I will go play SPI WWII, World in Flames, VG’s Pacific War and games like that.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The simplest solution I have seen, that has a precedent (most other A&A games were this way) and makes a marked/strong change in game; without adding units or changing setup is this:

Adjust the turn order to Russia, Germany, Japan etc.

This temporal shift gives HUGE weight exactly where it’s needed by the allies, and deletes the single most back breaking weapon in the axis arsenal - the Italian can opener on the eastern front.  Further - Russia is badly in need of reinforcement; and this temporal shift means it’s a “build” ahead of the axis.  Exactly the right allotment that’s needed; and it’s not placed on the board prior to setup.

Further; the imbalanced NO’s like 5 for every city and caucusus in Russia, are now appropriate more challenging to achieve; and significant to recieve; instead of the all but guaranteed waltz in.

On the flip side - Late game - the axis can use the G/J can opener; and it can be deadly if played right; but atleast Russia has been in the fight this long; and it’s choices with it’s eastern most forces can deter this outcome.

• Wow Gargantua, I got to convince the guys to try this.  I am a big fan of the tiniest changes that make big differences.

Some others I have tried:
    Every “worthless” territory is worth 1 IPC to everybody at all times.
    Collect income at beginning of turn.
    Capitals do not surrender.

• '19 '17 '16

What does the last one mean?

How did collecting income at the beginning go?

• Capitals do not surrender simply means that there is no surrendering of IPCs and that a power does not need a capital to build.

Collecting income at the beginning was interesting, but had some enormous changes to strategy.  For instance, Germany won’t bother capturing Caucasus if they know that holding it until next turn is impossible.  It facilitates an interest in keeping ground, not just capturing and recapturing.  It also makes getting NOs much harder.

• Well the idea of collecting income at start of turn is an interesting variant. It is a 1940 version of contested territories in 1914.

Japan swoops in and takes all 4 money islands in one turn. Well, they do not collect on that IPC windfall until after the Allies have a chance to respond. It creates interesting back and forth battles for key terrain where neither side is collecting income on that territory until one side wins and holds for a turn.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Here’s a solution that is easy to implement, with no changes to setup, that comes directly out of the Europe 1940 rulebook:

1. Help allies in the Europe by adding this Russia NO from Europe 1940 (page 25)
      When the Soviet Union is at war:
      9 IPCs if the USSR controls Novosibersk

2. Help allies in the Pacific by replacing the $10 NO for Eastern, Central, Western USA with the Europe 1940 version (p. 26)
      When the USA is at war:
      20 IPCs if the USA controls both Eastern United States and Central United States

So basically Russia gets an extra $9 a turn and USA gets an extra $10 a turn when they are at war

• @PainState:

Well the idea of collecting income at start of turn is an interesting variant. It is a 1940 version of contested territories in 1914.

Japan swoops in and takes all 4 money islands in one turn. Well, they do not collect on that IPC windfall until after the Allies have a chance to respond. It creates interesting back and forth battles for key terrain where neither side is collecting income on that territory until one side wins and holds for a turn.

I agree with this however I think the reason why you get money after your turn is to keep it fair for you the player to collect what you gained and not having to sit there watch your enemy just bomb and capture everything that makes money for you so you’re not in a situation when you are making 60 but by the time your turn comes up, you’re not working with 24 as an example.

• '19 '17 '16

More importantly, I think discouraging aggressive play might remove some spice from the game.

• I think if anything, it actually gives you reason to be aggressive because you want to stop what they are going to make and you know that your damage will not effect the other player until the 2nd turn from when you captured.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m