Is there currently an average bid(or even a bid) in G40 2nd edition

• '21 '20 '18 '17

You have to move part of the fleet away from Japan to pull off all your objectives, and your land forces in China are spread thin.

If you invest in factories, transports, and non-naval units, USA is more powerful than you on the SZ 6 side of the board and can step right up to you, taking Iwo and forcing you to either head back home to defend (losing the chance to take india or spice) or potentially lose control of the SZ 6 and 19 for a while.

Once the US is squatting on you (recall that you can land planes in Russia early during a J1), your choices become limited, Japan can’t really demolish and focus on USSR or China during a J1 and USA gets max income, asap.    The focus in most J1 is on UK India, but the arrangement of transports at game start limits you to moving south or moving home, so you cant get the numbers or income for the long game.

• '19 '17 '16

I’m forming a view that a j1 is not at all optimal, but it does have strength because you take fic in the process.

Getting this factory producing by j3 is great for Japan.

• '17

@simon33:

I’m forming a view that a j1 is not at all optimal, but it does have strength because you take fic in the process.

Getting this factory producing by j3 is great for Japan.

I recently got a J3 takedown of India (1st time I’ve done it). Only recently I started really trying to explore it as KJF games are hurting me in triplea live games. The fact that an India take down can occur is of course another benefit; especially with a 3 transport / 1 artillery purchase. I took a fighter hit in sz37 to keep the Cruiser (which protects the FIC minor placed on J2). The cruiser rolled a hit so no blocker there as the UK sent their Cruiser elsewhere. Then on J2 I cleared Burma/Shan State units using a few ground to soak up hits and mostly air. J3 India fell.

• '19 '18 '17

Thank you for all of your posts to this thread.

I am currently playing a game against Gargantua with a bi of 40 and I get the feeling I am toast!! LOL.

I think I should have gotten a bid of 100!! Or maybe 200 and then I might have a chance.

There are a lot of nuances to this game and It is really making me think.

• '17 '16 '15

Don’t give up

Attack

• '19 '18 '17

I attacked in a 50/50 battle and lost… Oh well…

What I like about attacking is at least you are trying. Seems to be when you always sit on defense – you are waiting.

Not that defending at times is a good thing.

• @AAGamer:

I attacked in a 50/50 battle and lost… Oh well…

What I like about attacking is at least you are trying. Seems to be when you always sit on defense – you are waiting.

Not that defending at times is a good thing.

To me, knowing when to attack and when to defend are key things to learn on the path towards mastering A&A.

-Midnight_Reaper

• Are you people crazy? LOL

I’ve been playing A&A and it doesn’t look like the Axis have any chance of winning at all! And you are advocating that the allies get a bid? Of 20-30 extra IPC?

I’m honestly not trolling, but is there some ‘Automatic Path to victory’ for the Axis that I’m not aware of? What is it exactly? What should each Axis country be doing that stops them from being smashed by the Allies?

• '19 '17 '16

@Mr:

Are you people crazy? LOL

I’ve been playing A&A and it doesn’t look like the Axis have any chance of winning at all! And you are advocating that the allies get a bid? Of 20-30 extra IPC?

I’m honestly not trolling, but is there some ‘Automatic Path to victory’ for the Axis that I’m not aware of? What is it exactly? What should each Axis country be doing that stops them from being smashed by the Allies?

Germany runs hard to Moscow and doesn’t get distracted by building much fleet and mostly ignores UK after G1. Italy can opens particularly at Rostov.

Japan does a DOW J1 or J2, claims all the Dutch East Indies and takes down Calcutta J5.

• '19 '18 '17

@Mr:

Are you people crazy? LOL

I am currently playing a game with a bid of 43 for the allies and getting my butt handed to me… Of course this is just my first game of Global but it gives you a little bit of an idea for new players how it is like.

• I guess I must be really bad at playing the Axis then… Or everyone else here is really bad at playing the Allies! LOL

Is taking Calcutta the key? How do you deal with allied Air power Spam into Russia?

• '19 '18 '17

Look at the two stickied threads that talk about Germany and Japan’s first moves…  That will give you a general idea of what people have done in the past. It has helped me a lot. Now trying to find allied plans is a lot tougher since it is totally dependent on what the Axis does… You have to do some searching but I have found a few.

• '19 '17 '16

@Mr:

I guess I must be really bad at playing the Axis then… Or everyone else here is really bad at playing the Allies! LOL

Is taking Calcutta the key? How do you deal with allied Air power Spam into Russia?

I would say the Dutch East Indies are the key for Japan. Moscow is probably the main key though. It is frequently taken G7 and G6 is possible too.

If the UK builds a ton of fighters out of a Persia factory then they really aren’t building any ground units anywhere. In that event, Germany would generally swing south and take out the middle east. The loss of the Persia factory is so devastating for the UK that recently I’ve been building UK’s first factory in Egypt, which is arguable because it’s far less useful there.

Even with several fighters defending Moscow, strategic bombing slows the growth of infantry there and they can’t defend Moscow and Persia at the same time.

Although if you have good strategies for the Allies, I’m sure everyone here would be all ears.

• Okay, perhaps I can extrapolate some help by finding out what people do with the Allied Bid money. Where does it go? What units apparently need to be added?

• If you go into the League games and watch what people do for the first few rounds, it will give you incredible insights.  I like to follow Adam514 matches since he mastered so many nuances in the game.  Some other masters include Zhukov44, Gamerman01, and JDOW.  No offense to the other amazing players out there that I didn’t mention.

Most of the games are now Balance Mod instead of bid, but you still can search through the games from 2016 and before to find what people do with bids.  In general the prioritization is as follows:

1. sub in the med
    2. UK and troops in Africa
    3. Fighter in Scotland
    4. other… such as infantry in Yunnan or extra Russian troops

https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=54.0

Here is a match between Titans with Allies +23 (Bid: sub 98, sub 91, arty Kwe, Arty Sze, Inf Sudan.).  Allies resigned turn 12 when Germany was making 85 PUs and Japan was at 82 PUs.  It is hard to beat the Axis when the economy is that solid.
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=36218.0

• '19 '17 '16

I still wonder in retrospect why the fighter in Scotland wasn’t a more popular bid item. Germany then had to let half the RN escape, or risk losing a big chunk of the Luftwaffe.

• @simon33:

I still wonder in retrospect why the fighter in Scotland wasn’t a more popular bid item. Germany then had to let half the RN escape, or risk losing a big chunk of the Luftwaffe.

I think people have the same feeling I do when it comes to defending Scotland. Abandon it to save London, piss on Germany’s face, and dare them to land in open Scotland.

• And it’s another fighter that can be used in Taranto or to attack a lone damaged German battleship or defend London from Sealion or Fly to Africa or Russia.

• '19 '17 '16

@calvinhobbesliker:

Why does J1 make it easier to defeat Japan?

The problem with maintaining peace as Japan is UK_Pacific becomes strong and hard to take down. Whereas a J1 puts its income on the slide right away. A J2 is not quite as good on this point but slows down USA and theoretically ANZAC a bit more.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@Caesar:

@simon33:

I think people have the same feeling I do when it comes to defending Scotland. Abandon it to save London, p�ss on Germany’s face, and dare them to land in open Scotland.

Adding a fighter there isnt about defending scotland but about defending the fleet next to it.
    With a potential 2 fighter scramble there and a 3 fighter scramble in 110 germany can potentially lose a lot of airforce taking out the RN.

The problem is that I don’t like to waste bid money on defending home fleet when it is basically lost if you know for sure the Germany player is going to be aggressive and in my experience, they usually are.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m