• My problem with shucking guys to Southern France is that 10 units will never survive a counter attack from the Northern Italians and whatever Germans are in Paris or fast movers in W.Ger. I prefer a shuck to Normandy. It takes 1 extra step but is far less likely to  be successfully countered. Plus, by the time US lands there UK should be able to have at least 2 TTs worth of men to reinforce and maybe some planes. Southern France is virtually impossible to reinforce an initial US landing with UK units.

• '19 '17 '16

@NotEvenJail:

My problem with shucking guys to Southern France is that 10 units will never survive a counter attack from the Northern Italians and whatever Germans are in Paris or fast movers in W.Ger. I prefer a shuck to Normandy. It takes 1 extra step but is far less likely to  be successfully countered. Plus, by the time US lands there UK should be able to have at least 2 TTs worth of men to reinforce and maybe some planes. Southern France is virtually impossible to reinforce an initial US landing with UK units.

Hmm, if Germany is trading 2IPCs for 3IPCs of USA’s, I don’t think Germany would come off that trade very well. Depends on how USSR are doing of course.

I think the real problem with the floating bridge is that it doesn’t really contain Japan.

• @simon33:

I think the real problem with the floating bridge is that it doesn’t really contain Japan.

Well that is true because the Pacific war is at first a naval war. Europe is not like that and Navy does not play a big role besides protecting TRS to shuck troops onto the mainland.

Over in the Pacific you have to get rid of the IJN first and foremost. The land units are just there to take advantage of openings to take Islands and move closer to the main land. Considering how most players play Japan by never reinforcing any of the islands with any size of force. The USA can have 3TRS with 6 guys and do some serious IPC harm on Japan and their islands. It does not require a huge TRS fleet in the Pacific until late game.

Now lets look at the 18 TRS shuck to the Philippines. So you are sending 12 troops a turn to Manila. So, you wait one turn, now you have 12 TRS sitting in Manila with 24 Units, and you can threaten the entire mainland of China, from Singapore to Tokyo. Since you broke the shuck you then have 2 turns later another 12 units come from Hawaii to reinforce.

IMO the fastest way to neutralize Japan is to kill their IPC economy and that is found in the South Pacific and the coast of China. I understand the idea of going north but I do not think that is the best way to take down Japan. Taking Korea and all that stuff is end game moves for the USA to finally knock out Japan on their main island.

• '19 '18 '17

@PainState:

@simon33:

Well that is true because the Pacific war is at first a naval war. Europe is not like that and Navy does not play a big role besides protecting TRS to shuck troops onto the mainland.

Over in the Pacific you have to get rid of the IJN first and foremost. The land units are just there to take advantage of openings to take Islands and move closer to the main land. Considering how most players play Japan by never reinforcing any of the islands with any size of force. The USA can have 3TRS with 6 guys and do some serious IPC harm on Japan and their islands. It does not require a huge TRS fleet in the Pacific until late game.

Now lets look at the 18 TRS shuck to the Philippines. So you are sending 12 troops a turn to Manila. So, you wait one turn, now you have 12 TRS sitting in Manila with 24 Units, and you can threaten the entire mainland of China, from Singapore to Tokyo. Since you broke the shuck you then have 2 turns later another 12 units come from Hawaii to reinforce.

IMO the fastest way to neutralize Japan is to kill their IPC economy and that is found in the South Pacific and the coast of China. I understand the idea of going north but I do not think that is the best way to take down Japan. Taking Korea and all that stuff is end game moves for the USA to finally knock out Japan on their main island.

My question for you is at what turn do you think you will have enough of a US Navy to be able to build 18 transports and the support ships to protect the trns and to wipe out the Japan Navy?

• @AAGamer:

@PainState:

@simon33:

My question for you is at what turn do you think you will have enough of a US Navy to be able to build 18 transports and the support ships to protect the trns and to wipe out the Japan Navy?

By that time, Japan will be deep into China and maybe Russia.  They will probably have India too.  If such is the case, they can relax and start building naval units to counter yours.  Unless you are severely ignoring Europe, it is very possible to never be able to get that deep into Japanese waters safely with so many IPCs being spent on Transports.

• As for the U.S., the only time if even necessary in the Pac. Theatre to shuck shuck is when you have destroyed the entire IJN.
    Shuck shuck goes then:
    SF-Pearl-Korea/Tokio

While during the game you will build a few TT’s here and then and send 'em down South to help out Anzak grabbing M I’s.

This is why the US is interesting to play.
    You have to have two set ups in your head. One for Atl and one for Pac.

• '19 '17 '16

@AAGamer:

18 transports for the USA in the Pacific is just crazy talk.

USA need to sink the IJN as their main role in the Pacific. The odd transport can be useful for tasks such as taking the Carolines, Borneo, Malaya. Doesn’t work so well for the USA to take Sumatra, Java and the Celebes because that income makes little difference to them.

@PainState:

Hmm, taking Korea while India is still alive would tend to draw troops away from India or do you think that Japan should just ignore the landing and press on to India before turning to hit the beachhead? That is probably what I would do BTW.

I think the USA Korea landing is a major headache for Japan, particularly if the other allies have the potential to reclaim some of the money islands. One game I was allies I built a naval base on Midway and the Japan player spent 3DDs a turn blocking the assault.

• '18 '17 '16

I agree with Simon about the use of US transports in the Pacific. You wipe out the Japanese navy and take back the islands and the mainland. Shuck your troops to Europe and take out Germany and Italy. Japan will be forced to surrender. You know, just like WW2. Unless the Japanese player has been smoking crack you will spend all day assaulting Tokyo while Germany makes mincemeat out of Russia and the UK.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m