• From what I read it was launched dec of 38 in Stettin but never was used. Sat there until 45 Germans sunk it. Russians raised it. Then desttoyed in 47 for target practice.

Said it could hold 42 planes. Range 9200 miles at 21 mph  could go 38
    Miles per hour top speed.
    If its the same one in pic ?

A0 D1 M3 C12

• What next guys, a German sub that can carry airplanes when it surfaces?

• Yes. We had values for that piece a little while back . It could fly too !

• cant find any info on this thing

• Didn’t even see on Luft46.com

• Like I said I may not have found the right info. It did say zeppelin carrier.

• Disciplinary Group Banned

Back in the 1980s I use to combine all sorts of units together to make one unit.

Like a carrier that can go on land.

C20/M3/A0/D2

• '18 '17 '16

It’s the German version of a mega kamikaze. You steamroll into Westminister Abby guns blazing. Roll 5 D6 @ 2 and remove any ground units who are unfortunate enough to get hit. Then roll 4 D6 and add up the IPC’s to remove from the defending capital (no damage to a factory, you hit civilian targets). The only way to stop it from crashing into it’s target is winning the air war against it’s 12 fighters if you have enough fighters and tacs to take them on. The mega kamikaze obviously doesn’t survive the encounter, they throw the best damn parties at the rim of hell.

C-15
    M-8
    A-2x6 +SBR
    D-0

Only one unit per game can be purchased.

• I think that this Zeppelin Carrier should be given a substantial amount of armour plating, and that its defensive rating should be increased accordingly.  In fact, if it’s given enough armour, it will become completely invulnerable to the enemy’s fighter defenses because it won’t be able to take off and thus will never reach enemy territory.  By sitting on the ground at home in this manner, it would, however, be vulnerable to enemy SBRs, so to deal with this threat it should be given a significant built-in AAA capability.

• @Charles:

What next guys, a German sub that can carry airplanes when it surfaces?

France had one: the Surcouf.  And to create further ship-type confusion, it carried 8-inch guns, like a heavy cruiser.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

@CWO:

I think that this Zeppelin Carrier should be given a substantial amount of armour plating, and that its defensive rating should be increased accordingly.  In fact, if it’s given enough armour, it will become completely invulnerable to the enemy’s fighter defenses because it won’t be able to take off and thus will never reach enemy territory.  By sitting on the ground at home in this manner, it would, however, be vulnerable to enemy SBRs, so to deal with this threat it should be given a significant built-in AAA capability.

wait- so much armor plating that it could remain submerged under water for long periods without surfacing?? Unterseezepplin!

A0
    D2
    M1
    C20
    3-hit

Carry 2 planes when not Sumberged
    AAA Roll when not submerged
    Surprise Strike when submerged (Strength 0)
    Boosts enemy subs to A4D4 on a 1:1 basis

• @vodot:

wait- so much armor plating that it could remain submerged under water for long periods without surfacing?? Unterseezepplin!

That’s actually a brilliant concept: using the heavy weight of the armour plating of the Zeppelin to counteract its buoyancy to the point where it would have neutral buoyancy underwater, and thus would function well as a submarine.  And better still, the cigar shape of the Zeppelin would be very efficient hydrodynamically (modern nuclear subs have a similar teardrop shape), so this would justify boosting the unit’s movement number.  This hypothetical A&A unit is becoming more and more formidable with every post.

• I crackeded a joke and now you have flying aircraft carriers going underwater.  I guess I had better keep my mouth shut.  :?

• '17 '16

With Tech development, it might gain magnetohydrodynamics propulsion and be super-fast under water or be faster in high atmospheric travel.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

As you guys hinted, not only should it be an Aircraft-carrying submersible rigid airship, but also designed for the ultimate sacrifice–it is also a semi-guided missile, The Fritz Z.

Once it breaches the surface, and all of the aircraft are dried out and deployed, then it should impact St. Pauls shortly afterwards,  the crew safely jumping free right before, per the album cover.

• So what we have now is an airship that doubles as an aircraft carrier, Flying battleship, triple duty as a submarine, and lastly makes the worlds largest German cigar.

• @Imperious:

So what we have now is an airship that doubles as an aircraft carrier, Flying battleship, triple duty as a submarine, and lastly makes the worlds largest German cigar.

Basically a Churchill tank.

• '18 '17 '16

Dread Zeppelin.

• Nope

Led Zeppelin

• @SS:

From what I read it was launched dec of 38 in Stettin but never was used. Sat there until 45 Germans sunk it. Russians raised it. Then desttoyed in 47 for target practice.

Said it could hold 42 planes. Range 9200 miles at 21 mph could go 38
    Miles per hour top speed.
    If its the same one in pic ?

A0 D1 M3 C12

@SS:

Like I said I may not have found the right info. It did say zeppelin carrier.

Well the original photograph of a “carrier zeppelin” is a very, Very, VERY badly photoshopped dirigible that never existed… the stats you mentioned are of the traditional sea-going aircraft carrier “Graf Zeppelin”, which was a ship, not a dirigible (and at 38knots, not 38mph).

The photograph in the OP is neat in a steampunk fantasy setting, but nothing even remotely close to it existed… in fact, to my knowledge, the only serious attempt to turn a rigid dirigible into an aircraft carrier was conducted by the Americans, the USS Akron and USS Macon could carry fighters, but they latched-on underneath to underside arrestor-gear, there was no flight deck.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m