[Anniversary] Alternate Setup: July 1942

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Hi everyone,

Here’s a new scenario I made for the Anniversary map, loosely based on a July 1942 start date. Errata, new turn order and new rules for China are mandatory for balance; all other rule changes are optional. Corpo24 and I playtested this in two live games, and it seems pretty balanced (and fun!) so far. Hope you enjoy as much as we did! All feedback welcome.

Cheers,
    Argo

Errata

1. Downgrade the Battleship near Tokyo to a Cruiser.
    2. Move the Japanese fleet in sea zone 64 to sea zone 65

New turn order:

1. USA / China (38 / 6 IPCs)
    2. Japan (32 IPCs)
    3. UK (28 IPCs)
    4. Germany (42 IPCs)
    5. Russia (22 IPCs)
    6. Italy (10 IPCs)

New China Rules
    China no longer has special placement or income rules; instead it starts with two factories (in Sikang and Yunnan), and may purchase all units as normal. The Chinese capital is in Sikang. Chinese units may move into Burma, French Indochina, Kwangtung, Formosa, Kiangsu, Manchuria, and Sea Zones 36, 37, 61, and 62, as well as all original Chinese territories. China has one national objective: if, at the end of the Chinese turn, the Allies control India, Burma, and Yunnan, then China collects an additional 3 IPCs. Note that for this scenario, Manchuria, Burma, Kwangtung, and Formosa are considered original Japanese territories – they can be captured by the Chinese, but if captured by another Allied power, then that Allied power gets to keep the territory.

Reduced Looting Rules
    When you capture a capital, you loot only a maximum of 10 IPCs from the capital’s owner. That player may immediately continue to purchase units and/or factories as normal with any remaining IPCs.

Low-Luck Tech
    Technology is “low luck” – you can purchase a tech die for 5 IPCs, and then you keep that tech die and keep rolling it each turn until you achieve a new technology. You can accumulate as many tech dice in this way as you wish. When you roll a tech die, add the pips shown on the die to your tech progress. Once you have at least 15 pips of progress, discard all of your tech dice, choose which chart to roll on, and then roll one die to find out which tech on that chart you have gained.

Stackable AAAs
    You may place more than one AAA gun in the same territory. If you do, each additional AAA gun (beyond the first) allows you to roll exactly one extra flak die to defend against strategic bombings. These ‘surplus’ AAA guns do not automatically roll against each enemy bomber. They roll exactly one die each, regardless of the number of bombers. So, if you are attacked by 4 bombers, and you have 3 AAA guns, then you would roll 4 + 1 + 1 = 6 flak dice. The first AAA gun rolls against each bomber, as normal, and your two surplus AAA guns roll one die each, for a total of six dice.

As in OOB, The Dardanelle Straits (near Turkey) are open.

Alternate NOs

Note: these NOs have not been playtested. If you use these NOs, I recommend playing with destructible factories. If any player captures any factory, that factory is immediately destroyed. You can rebuild destroyed factories as normal by paying full price after you have already controlled the territory for a full turn, i.e., the same way you would build a factory in a territory that never had a factory.

UNITED STATES
    Monroe Doctrine – Gain 5 IPCs if Allies control at least 5 out of 6 of: Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama, Brazil, West Indies
    Island Bases – Gain 5 IPCs if Allies control at least 3 out of 4 of: Hawaii, Wake Island, Midway Island, Solomon Islands (same as original)
    I Shall Return – Gain 5 IPCs if Allies control the Philippines (same as original)
    D-Day – Gain 10 IPCs if Allies control at least 2 out of 3 of: Norway, Northwestern Europe, France

CHINA
    Burma Road – Gain 3 IPCs if the Allies control India, Burma, and Yunnan.

JAPAN
    Secure Oil Routes – Gain 5 IPCs if Axis control Borneo and there are no Allied ships in sea zones 49, 36, 61, and 62.
    Inner Security Perimeter – Gain 5 IPCs if Axis control all of: Formosa, Okinawa, Iwo Jima, and the Caroline Islands.
    Greater East-Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere – Gain 10 IPCs if Japan (not Germany/Italy) controls at least 3 out of 4 of: Yakut SSR, Sikang, India, Australia.

UNITED KINGDOM
    Defense of the Commonwealth – Gain 5 IPCs if you control at least 3 out of 4 of: East Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand
    Suez Merchant Shipping – Gain 5 IPCs if you control Egypt and Transjordan and there are no Axis ships in sea zones 15 or 34.
    Soft Underbelly – Gain 5 IPCs if Britain or the United States (not Russia) controls at least 1 of: Italy, Balkans, Rumania.
    Far East Outposts – Gain 5 IPCs if the Allies control both French Indochina (i.e., Singapore) and Kwangtung (i.e., Hong Kong).

GERMANY
    Petsamo Nickel Mines – Gain 5 IPCs if Axis control Norway and there is at least one Axis surface ship in sea zones 5 or 6, OR if Axis control all of: Finland, Karelia, Baltic States.
    Fortress Europe – Gain 5 IPCs if Axis control all of: France, NW Europe, Germany, Italy, Balkans, Czechoslovakia, Poland, and Romania.
    The Gates of Moscow – Gain 5 IPCs if the Axis control at least 3 out of 4 of: Archangel, Belorussia, Eastern Ukraine, and Caucasus
    New World Order – Gain 5 IPCs if the Axis control at least 1 of London and/or Moscow.

SOVIET UNION
    Arctic Lend-Lease – Gain 3 IPCs if the Allies control Archangel and Urals, and there are no Axis ships in sea zone 4.
    Persian Lend-Lease – Gain 3 IPCs if the Allies control Persia and Caucasus, and there are no Axis ships in sea zone 34.
    Siberian Lend-Lease – Gain 3 IPCs if the Allies control Soviet Far East and Yakut SSR, and htere are no Axis ships in sea zone 63.
    Iron Curtain – Gain 10 IPCs if the Russians (not other Allies) control at least 3 of: Finland, Baltic States, Poland, East Poland, Romania, Balkans, Hungary

ITALY
    Mare Nostrum – Gain 5 IPCs if the Axis control Morocco, Libya, and Gibraltar, and there are no Allied ships in sea zones 13 or 14.
    New Roman Empire – Gain 5 IPCs if the Italians (not other Axis) control at least 3 out of 5 of: Egypt, Trans-Jordan, Persia, Sudan, Italian East Africa
    July 1942.png
    AA1942-jgl.tsvg

• This sounds interesting and I look forward to trying them out. I do wonder about one thing, though:

@Argothair:

China has one national objective: if, at the end of the Chinese turn, the Allies control India, Burma, and Yunnan, then China collects an additional 2 IPCs.

@Argothair:

Alternate NOs
    CHINA
    Burma Road – Gain 3 IPCs if the Allies control India, Burma, and Yunnan.

So, is it 2 or 3 IPCs to China when the Allies control India, Burma, and Yunnan?

Just trying to help.

-Midnight_Reaper

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Should be 3 IPCs. Fixed! Thank you.

• '19

This is a great alternative set up for 1942 anniversary game .  Love the turn order and how the Americans right off the bat get action in the pacific theatre.  I have played this set up twice and have seen the axis and allies both win a game.  I can vouch for this scenario as I had a blast playing it.  If you want more pieces and naval action quickly in the pacific then give this one a try.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m