German carrier, J1 DOW, USA builds bombers, now what?

• @variance:

As usual, you give some very helpful comments WILD BILL.  Thank you.

I’d say the US ships on the pacific side are all intact, since japan only hit Philippines, Borneo, Hong Kong, and the Battleship.  Let’s there was a bid for sub in z98 and some ground troops around Africa.  Those are fairly typical.

If I understand correctly, the bombers should be going to Europe and Japan might be getting an easy ride in the Pacific for a while

Thanks Variance, yea I know that many don’t like to go Europe first and that SBR comes with some risks. Just seems that with US buying so many bmrs on the first turn that an econ attack on Germany fits. The range allows you to hit multiple ICs every turn (some may not get protection), and also keeps some of the Euro axis fighters tied down (plus they will probably keep 2 planes on their carrier). I would probably continue to add a US bmr every turn or two so the pressure stays on. At some point you will have to decide to hit the Baltic fleet or just continue to pound the ICs. With 5+ bmrs in Europe I can’t see the Germans risking the Baltic fleet in open waters so you will have to go in and kill it, maybe a double hit with US/UK?

I don’t like letting Japan grow, but when the US is brought in on the first turn I think you have to make the Euro axis pay. You have a pretty good stating fleet in the Pac (unless they also hit Pearl) so you should be able to bounce back mid game and keep Japan from getting (or keeping) the 6th VC. The Anz needs to defend itself and also build some navy to the help the US to come up/over. UK also needs to play well and maybe do some building in the Middle East so it can throw resources where needed.  A Japanese attack on India means that the Japanese fleet may be split allowing access to the money islands or an attack of opportunity. Some times it’s better to evac India and save those units for another day?

• '16 '15 '10

@variance:

Right, so… if I am the axis and I threaten sealion strongly with Germany and then make the “mistake” of doing a J1, and the USA responds by doing the bomber thing, does that give me an advantage in the Pacific or can USA still do well against Japan with building no ships on the first turn?

USA should be fine.  After a J1, I can’t fault USA for investing in bombers and possibly using them on the Europe board, especially if Germany bought an ac or dd g1.  If USA decides to focus on Japan, USA can fly some bombers to New Zealand or Queensland, while buying naval units USA2 and USA3.  It may take a little longer for USA’s fleet to rival Japan’s but if USA uses those bombers effectively it evens out.

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

thank you Zhukov44

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m