Is there currently an average bid(or even a bid) in G40 2nd edition

• '19 '18 '17

Hi all,

I am preparing myself for my first game of G40… Gargantua has generously offered to crush me…  Before the inevitable happens is there currently a average bid going on for G40?

Thanks

• The Allies need close to 30. But if playing King Garg, can I suggest you ask fro 40, if playing the Allies? If Garg, is the Allies, then tell him he can’t have a bid.
    He likes a challenge.

• I dont believe in bids. I play with ygh rules and that works just fine. My only problem is with the USA. i cant seem to find a strategy that is effective on both sides. Other than that, no problems.

• @DessertFox599:

I dont believe in bids. I play with ygh rules and that works just fine. My only problem is with the USA. i cant seem to find a strategy that is effective on both sides. Other than that, no problems.

I’ve been playing Axis and learning - and while I haven’t picked up any wins against the veterans around here (even without a bid to aid them) I think that when it comes time for me to play Allies, my US strategy is going to be to pick up a couple research tokens the first turn and build a carrier or two, hoping for a naval/air advancement.  Then doing the same on the second turn.

Depending on what the Axis is doing where, and what research I get, building to exploit it.  Super subs means I go heavy US subs; heavy bombers or long range planes means I bomb Europe or build more carriers…

But either way, I think the US needs to concentrate firepower on one side or the other and dedicate to it. The forums here say that most games are won by Japan, in the Pacific, around turn 6-9.  If the UK reinforces Russia with airpower, then the US can 100% focus on the Pacific to neuter Japan with whatever it gets in the first round or two.

• TripleA

12-16 for most casual players is fine. 17-30 is ranked / tournament play.

• I don’t like the bid system anyways due to the logic being the Axis have the advantage on turn 4 because all three can ride non aggression and that is somehow not fair for the allies who already have a higher GDP than the Axis.

• @Caesar:

I don’t like the bid system anyways due to the logic being the Axis have the advantage on turn 4 because all three can ride non aggression and that is somehow not fair for the allies who already have a higher GDP than the Axis.

The Axis can make more money than the Allies after 5-6 turns without a bid.

• Once US gets into the fight, there bonus will boost the allies over the Axis.

• '16 '15 '10

The more experienced the players (particularly Axis) are, the greater the need for the bid.  2nd edition favors Axis but only when Axis knows how to exploit their advantage.

If the Axis player is inexperienced, then they won’t know how to expand quickly and efficiently…so it could be unnecessary to have a bid because the Allies will have more income.

If the Axis player is experienced, then they will know how to expand rapidly.  They’ll also be aware they only need to win on one side of the board.

If both players are advanced, a fair bid is at least 20 and could be as high as 50 for an optimally balanced game (depending on the bidding conventions being used).  But with inexperienced players a bid that high might seem excessive.

• If he is much more experienced than you, I would recommend a 100-150 bid. Seriously. Yes. He still will win!  I have played those games as Axis and managed to win. A couple mistakes and that Allied bid will evaporate. Poof. Gone.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

In OBB G40, the Axis have a pointed advantage.

I’d say 20-24 for Allies would be standard for players of similar ability, going higher the better the Axis player (or lower if the Axis player is weaker).

Also, for those not familiar, the bidding rules mandate only 1 bid unit per territory can be placed, thus diluting the impact of the bid. You can’t take 24 and then stack Yunnan w/8 inf.

• @Karl7:

In OBB G40, the Axis have a pointed advantage.

I’d say 20-24 for Allies would be standard for players of similar ability, going higher the better the Axis player (or lower if the Axis player is weaker).

Also, for those not familiar, the bidding rules mandate only 1 bid unit per territory can be placed, thus diluting the impact of the bid. You can’t take 24 and then stack Yunnan w/8 inf.

So this means the Allies gets a total of about 24 IPC’s they can use on units before the game begins? I have not heard about the bid system before.

• '19 '17 '16

Correct Logic. It’s a standard method of rebalancing the game. You can have a look at the league rules for more info.

• '19 '18 '17

I am glad I asked this question. I didnt realize the axis had such an advantage. Very good to know… Thank you all for your answers… I suppose I should ask Gargantua for a 150 bid LOL… I dont think he will go for that… Well maybe…  Any more ideas and comments are great.

• '19 '17 '16

If neither of you is highly experienced, try playing without a bid but eliminate the Victory Cities rule.  In other words, you win by making the other fellow surrender rather than by collecting a pre-set number of Victory Cities.

This negates the advantage the Axis has of only having to win on one side of the board.

However, if your Axis opponent knows what he’s doing then get a bid of at least 20, but preferably more, unless you also know what you’re doing.

That’s just my 2 cents.

• I wonder if bids need to be higher for TripleA PBF games as opposed to FTF games, since the battle calculator allows the Axis to optimize all their attacks and make sure counterattacks are not possible.

• '19 '18 '17

Interesting thought Calvin. I didn’t know there was a battle calculator. Is it in TripleA?  Good points StuckTojo.

• '17 '16 '15

@AAGamer:

Interesting thought Calvin. I didn’t know there was a battle calculator. Is it in TripleA?  Good points StuckTojo.

put the cursor on the TT you want to calculate and hit ctrl b.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I would give you 160 bid - on the condition that it’s all in battleships. and follows standard bid rules.

There is a precedent for this! From an XDAP  pit fight:)

• @Gargantua:

I would give you 160 bid - on the condition that it’s all in battleships. and follows standard bid rules.

There is a precedent for this! From an XDAP  pit fight:)

So could that be a US battleship in sz 9, 10, 11, 12, 26, 27, 28, 29? lol

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m