Vegas G40 "Showdown in the Desert" 2018

• '19 '17

A lot of players like to come with partners, but for those that don’t have one, players will be grouped into teams.  Teams will be assigned enough in advance for teams to discuss strategy.  For Toronto I played with Surprise Attack from New York.  We talked quite a bit and even played each other several times on Triple A on the forums.

• '19 '17

Hey guys!  Been working quite a bit and been away from the forums.  I’ve decided to simplify the rules for this tournament.  After a lot of thought and consultation with others, I’m making Victory conditions for both sides, much closer to OOB rules.  In addition I want to incentivize teams to take and hold while not allowing their opponents  to get points to help them out in tie breakers.

This is all out war!  Their will be no mercy!!

• '19 '17

Last week I went to a coordination meeting for Meeplecon where we’re holding the tournament.  They have a total of 600 registrations available and have already sold a little more than 200.  Please register so that you don’t miss out.

• Ram, I gotta play in this, bro.

Robbie

• '19 '17

@robbie358:

Ram, I gotta play in this, bro.

Robbie

Sounds great.  Look forward to playing with you!

• Founder TripleA Admin

I really need to do better with my events page, especially events run by members.

• '19 '17

You should come!

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’m considering it but I don’t really play G40. Will there be any other A&A or Scythe maybe?

• '21 '20 '18 '17

lay out fortress America FF its easy to lose as America in 3 hours ;)

• You should show, just think of all the Celebrity photo shoots you could be in, I saw Elvis the last time I was there and a bunch of others

• '19 '17

Alright guys, 2 months away!  Need to update some players on list and start assigning teams/opponents!

• '19 '17

Sired Blood is going to be our Master of Ceremonies and rules guy!

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Hey there! Thanks for organizing the event. I’m very happy to see you’ve shifted away from the victory token idea. What about the rest of the Young Grasshopper rules? Does this mean no free R&D? No free timeouts? What if anything are you doing to balance the game – bids? Balanced Mod 3.0? Etc.

At one game per day in a three-day tournament with up to 20 teams, how do you decide on a winner? E.g. what if you have two or more teams that have won all three of their games? Seems a bit heartbreaking to lose on tiebreakers to someone you’ve never had a chance to get matched up against.

• '17 '16 '15

@Desert_Admiral:

Sired Blood is going to be our Master of Ceremonies and rules guy!

yea

rock n roll : )

• Confused as to the rules of the tournament…. please post the rules … once and for all…

• '19 '17

@MeinHerr:

Confused as to the rules of the tournament…. please post the rules … once and for all…

The rules are the standard 2nd edition global 40 rules as in the rule book.  The rules to determine the winner, including tie break are on the first page.

Happy to clarify additional questions.  Thanks.

• '19 '17

@Argothair:

Hey there! Thanks for organizing the event. I’m very happy to see you’ve shifted away from the victory token idea. What about the rest of the Young Grasshopper rules? Does this mean no free R&D? No free timeouts? What if anything are you doing to balance the game – bids? Balanced Mod 3.0? Etc.

At one game per day in a three-day tournament with up to 20 teams, how do you decide on a winner? E.g. what if you have two or more teams that have won all three of their games? Seems a bit heartbreaking to lose on tiebreakers to someone you’ve never had a chance to get matched up against.

Thanks for the questions!

First, I want to say that I had a blast at YG’s tournament and everything he put in it.

I’ve decided to stick closer with the standard rules, meaning there are no house rules, i.e. YG’s.  There are no free technology rolls, they cost 5 as in the original rules.

For time, I’m going to remove the time limit, but players will be expected to move their games along.  Going to see if we can start at 9a and Meeplecon is open to midnight.  If teams can’t finish by then, there is a side room where they can finish.  Everyone should be able to complete 9 rounds in 15 hours!! :)

I’ve been playing a fair amount on Triple A and I really like the bid system.  I haven’t played in BM games yet.  I have decided to give the Allies a +16 bid.

The winners are determined by the following as stated on the first page of the thread:

Allied Victory
    1.  Capture Tokyo and hold through end of that round.
    2.  Capture Berlin and hold through end of that round.

Axis Victory
    1.  Control 8 Victory Cities on the European map and hold through end of that round.
    2.  Control 6 Victory Cities on the Pacific map and hold through the end of that round.

This will give a fair amount of different win-loss-tie situations, 2-0, 1-1, 1-0-1, 0-1-1, and 0-2.  So there’s 5 different win-loss-tie combos that will separate teams.  After that are the tie breaks.  I agree it’s a bummer to lose to someone who you haven’t played over tie breaks, but have to differentiate somehow.  The tiebreaks, including the 2nd one of total IPC’s will give a good indication of how dominate a team was in their matches.

Lastly, there’s always Triple A to duke it out afterwards for revenge!  Several folks coming play on it.

You thinking of coming?

• Bids is an idea or an implementation?

• '19 '17

I’m going to update the front rules page.  The Allies will get a bid of 16 to place as they want.  Only 1 additional unit per territory or sz.  If the entire amount is not spent, it is lost.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Cool! And is the tournament two days, or three days? The con runs for three days, but your sample scores were 2-0, 1-1, 0-2, so I got confused.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m