This thread was hijacked and no longer holds relevance

• Ohh, my deluxe air to air combat rules ? You want a piece of that ?

I will make a specific thread about it, lets not derail YGs topic any more.

• '16

Baron Munchhausen, I apologize if this question sounds obtuse, but convince someone of what?

My house rules are specifically designed to address my group’s play styles and preferences. While I’d be glad for someone else to use them, and I put them out there for discussion, I don’t think they have automatic applicability elsewhere. YG is free to read or skip my contributions and use or discard whatever ideas he sees fit. Since Ichabod asked about Russian defenders, I wanted to give him a sense of how we deal with having multiple Infantry-class units. That includes giving him some context. For example, the fact that we use entrenchment is probably significant when we talk about difficulties faced by a country like Russia, which usually plays a defensive game.

I’ll confess to not understanding how the different formulas work. In the past, Argothair has been kind enough to discuss some comparative options with me when I consider whether to add or eliminate new units and need to get a handle on whether players will choose to buy one or another. I don’t really engage with the formulas anymore.

The hard drive with my air-to-air combat rules is currently in storage pending completion of a home office. I should have access again by Christmas. In the meantime, here some quick ideas:

• All aircraft have both air-to-ground and air-to-air values for attack and defense.

• Aircraft may choose to target either air or ground units before each round of combat.

• Bomber aircraft may choose to target air units only on defense.

• Fighter aircraft may not choose to target ground units until all enemy fighters are eliminated.

• Aircraft improve the likelihood of a successful Naval Combat Search. (This is a roll we use to determine whether two fleets find each other on the vastness of the ocean. There is a small likelihood that combat will be averted, simulating weather and chance.)

• Capital ships have a special ability that allows them to conduct AA fire, but it is weak. Cruisers improve AA fire. However, naval units suffer a disadvantage if, when attacked by enemy air units, there are no defending aircraft.

In terms of air units, here is what I use (to the best of my memory):

The first number in A and D is ground attack/defender, the second air attack/defense.

Scout Fighter: A2/2 D2/2 C7 M4
    Fighter: A3/4 D3/4 C9 M5
    Tactical Bomber: A5/0 D2/1 C10 M5
    Strategic Bomber: A6/0 D1/1 C12 M7
    Zeppelin: A6/0 D0/2 C12 M6
    Transport: A0 D0 C7 M6

A Zeppelin does not need to land after each turn. If a Zeppelin ends its turn on an enemy territory and there are defenders in that territory, the owner of that territory immediately rolls 1 AAA shot. If any AAA are present, they may fire as well. Fighter aircraft present in the same territory or in an adjacent territory with an air base may scramble.

A Transport may load up to 2 friendly airborne or regular infantry at a friendly airbase. It may carry these units to a destination where they unload as normal, or else make a para drop with Airborne Infantry at any point along the way. It may not land and take off again on the same turn.

We are also experimenting with a rule that grants a +1 die bonus to an attacker that has air superiority from the very start of combat.

• '17 '16

Trenacker,
    you started your post with:

Well, Ichabod, color me convinced. I am going to use the phrase, “Let me convince you” next time I need to persuade somebody to accept correction.

Maybe I did not fully understand what this meant and I just catch the “Let me convince you” part. I’m not that fluent in speaking english.

Nonetheless, the best part I was hoping for is about Russia’s demise according to YG’s Infantry and Artillery values. I believed you wanted to correct this with your units values. I tried to convinced YG that Russia need a strong Artillery, so by my comment I was curious about how you analyze Soviet situations and why your units improve the balance for Russia instead of worsening it. My comments was not focus on unit values but more about what Russia needs to make an interesting game against Italy and Germany.

HTH to see my intent, so you can provide us a glimpse of how your units may solve the Eastern front issue.

Thanks for this summary of your dogfight rules, do you remember what was the different combat values?
    You can just edit your last post, to get all infos on a single one. Then post a short notice.
    Then, I will soon make a single thread which contains  different house rules to deal with air-to-air combat.
    I don’t want to side track YG thread.

@Narvik:

Ohh, my deluxe air to air combat rules ? You want a piece of that ?

I will make a specific thread about it, lets not derail YGs topic any more.

Agree.

• '16

@Baron:

Maybe I did not fully understand what this meant and I just catch the “Let me convince you” part. I’m not that fluent in speaking english.

Oh, I see. I was complimenting Ichabod on convincing me that defending with artillery is easier than attacking with artillery.

@Baron:

Nonetheless, the best part I was hoping for is about Russia’s demise according to YG’s Infantry and Artillery values. I believed you wanted to correct this with your units values. I tried to convinced YG that Russia need a strong Artillery, so by my comment I was curious about how you analyze Soviet situations and why your units improve the balance for Russia instead of worsening it. My comments was not focus on unit values but more about what Russia needs to make an interesting game against Italy and Germany.

Russia’s a tricky subject in my games because I introduce new minor powers that change the game balance in the Baltic (Sweden and Poland) and on the Black Sea coast (Greece).

In general, I tend to balance by adding more infantry rather than by adjusting unit values.

Adding cavalry also made a big difference because it provides Russia with a cheap unit able to take good advantage of its interior lines of communication during Barbarossa. The Armored Car might also help Russia get more out of each artillery piece.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m