[Global 1940] Oil Derrick & Refineries

• House Rule for Global 1940:
    OIL DERRICKS:
    can be built in any of the below Territories that have been controlled for at least one round.  Only one Derrick per territory.  Can be captured by enemy units.  Can be bombed and removed from play.  This unit increases the IPC value of the territory by 1 for the occupying forces.  The added value remains till its captured or bombed.   The effects of the increase in value would be immediate, as the unit would be placed before the collect IPCs phase of the game.  
    Territories enriched with Oil:
    -All Dutch Islands
    -Columbia, Venezuela, Bolivia
    -Central US
    -Scotland
    -Western Canada, Alaska
    -Alexandria, Cairo, Tobruk, Trans-Jordon
    -Union of South Africa
    -Romania
    -Iraq
    -Persia
    -Caucasus, Ukraine
    -West India, Burma

Cost: 3IPC
    Movement: NA

OIL REFINERIES:
    Can be built in any of the above Territories that have been controlled for at least one round and contains an Oil Derrick.  Only one Refinery per territory.  Can be captured by enemy units.  Can be bombed and removed from play.  This unit increases the IPC value of the territory by 1 for the occupying forces.  The added value remains till its captured or bombed.   The effects of the increase in value would be immediate, as the unit would be placed before the collect IPCs phase of the game.

Moderator’s edit: Added tag [Global 1940] to title
    710x528_18829284_11027583_1494959962.jpg
    oil derrick.jpg

• '19 '18 '17 '16

I like the addition on 1 IPC per territory for oil.  The rate of return is steep though, taking three turns just to break even.  Just a thought.

• My question to be attached to this would be, if you upgrade a territory that is originally a 2 IPC territory, lets say the Caucasus, and it becomes 3 IPCs per turn. Would Russia then be able to produce a major facility on that territory?

Based on the list you shared, this would be the case in
    -Caucasus (@3 for a major)
    -West India (@2 for a minor)
    -Western Canada (@2 for a minor)
    -Alaska (@3 for a major)
    -Egypt (@3 for a major)
    -Trans Jordan (@2 for a minor)
    -Union of South Africa (@3 for a major)
    -Ukraine (@3 for a major)

• Sweet looking Derricks.

What do you think of having an oil derrick at all of the countries on your list at start of game and no extra income to the controller of territory but any time a country loses a territory with a Oil Derrick to an eneemy has to pay the capturing side double of territory value just one time. If it gets recaptured then the same rule applies.
    I know you lose the collect icp value. Just a thought.

• This is a neat idea. I was looking at HBG’s oil war rules for global war 36.
    Compared to those, these are definitively easier to comprehend.
    They have you need oil to move units each turn, creating a different concept altogether.
    But like I said, this is cleaner.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

This is fun and gives a bit of an option to “invest in the future,” which is mostly missing from the rest of the A&A franchise. But depending on how hard it is to bomb a derrick, many derricks will either be obvious buys or obvious non-buys.

Like, Central US will never be strategically bombed, so of course you put a derrick there. But Cairo and Tobruk are just begging to be bombed by both sides, plus there’s a good chance you won’t hold those territories long enough to collect your investment.

I also agree with Hambone that the rate of return is pretty steep. So that’s the challenge as you work on this rule – how do you set a rate of return that’s high enough to induce players to take risks (putting derricks in territories that aren’t 100% safe from bombing), but low enough that you’re not just awarding bid income to players with safe oil territories (Central US, South Africa, etc.)?

• Keep in mind receiving an extra IPC per round can mean another INF on the board.  My house rules also include a One Time Plunder roll when you capture a territory that has an Oil or Iron icon (Customize Map).  So technically you could get it paid for from your Plunder Roll.

Plunder Rolls-
    1D6 per Icon (Some territories have Oil and Iron resources)

1/2 of Value of roll, and receive the extra IPC at end of Turn.

Example:  Roll a 6 and receive 3IPC.

• This still doesn’t answer my question.

• @Argothair:

This is fun and gives a bit of an option to “invest in the future,” which is mostly missing from the rest of the A&A franchise. But depending on how hard it is to bomb a derrick, many derricks will either be obvious buys or obvious non-buys.

Like, Central US will never be strategically bombed, so of course you put a derrick there. But Cairo and Tobruk are just begging to be bombed by both sides, plus there’s a good chance you won’t hold those territories long enough to collect your investment.

I also agree with Hambone that the rate of return is pretty steep. So that’s the challenge as you work on this rule – how do you set a rate of return that’s high enough to induce players to take risks (putting derricks in territories that aren’t 100% safe from bombing), but low enough that you’re not just awarding bid income to players with safe oil territories (Central US, South Africa, etc.)?

I wonder if you could start the game with derricks on the riskier territories built" reducing the risk to building these.

• @Requester45:

My question to be attached to this would be, if you upgrade a territory that is originally a 2 IPC territory, lets say the Caucasus, and it becomes 3 IPCs per turn. Would Russia then be able to produce a major facility on that territory?

-Alaska (@3 for a major)
    -Egypt (@3 for a major)

I would think IF you allowed Majors to be built, you would have to downgrade/damage them if the derrick were bombed. Correct me if I am wrong, but I read the rules as if when the derrick is bombed it is removed and not damaged. I would think if you were to allow majors to be built, you would need to make the derrick receive damage instead of being removed.

• @Requester45:

My question to be attached to this would be, if you upgrade a territory that is originally a 2 IPC territory, lets say the Caucasus, and it becomes 3 IPCs per turn. Would Russia then be able to produce a major facility on that territory?

-Alaska (@3 for a major)
    -Egypt (@3 for a major)

No, Its a Bonus not Permanent.  It can be removed and re-built.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I’d have to imagine considering making those territories have the ability to build major complexes would be a bit too steep and game altering. It’s an interesting rule though! I like the idea of just producing one more IPC, but not counting towards industrial complex strengths. You can make it so they can be bombed as well and have to be repaired, like any other facility as well. If it’s bombed, you don’t get the bonus income until repaired.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m