Re: YG's G40 Invitational - Comments

• YG, given that the Axis are viewed as having an edge, I think you should have done a bid for sides on the medal round.

• '17 '16

I saw one player using dice to record how many hits defenders received. But they wait until both sides know how many casualties they have to be pick, before going on.

Do you usually wait to see how many casualty attacker had received before both sides select which specific units is taken?

IMO, from a competitive way of playing, defender’s must select his casualty before knowing what will be his own defense rolls and how good or bad he will get.

Going other way is more fair-play, but not correct according to rules.

Am I wrong about this?

By the way, pretty amazing event.
    I watch as much as possible all Larry moments in live and recorded on youtube.
    Thanks for letting us have a taste of this great tournament.
    Baron

• Sponsor

@larrymarx:

YG, given that the Axis are viewed as having an edge, I think you should have done a bid for sides on the medal round.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just felt that the team who scored the most tokens over 2 full day games deserved to choose their side in the medal rounds , and then there’s the fact that I hate bids.

• Sponsor

@Baron:

I saw one player using dice to record how many hits defenders received. But they wait until both sides know how many casualties they have to be pick, before going on.

Do you usually wait to see how many casualty attacker had received before both sides select which specific units is taken?

IMO, from a competitive way of playing, defender’s must select his casualty before knowing what will be his own defense rolls and how good or bad he will get.

Am I wrong about this?

Baron

It’s up to each table and all players around it to play by the rules, if that was happening than it would have been up to the opponent to request that casualties be chosen first before rolling as per the rules.

• '17 '16

I hope you will give us feedback of people about victory tokens.
    IMO, it is a great thing to actually get so many people playing along and agreeing to follow what was basically a houserule. And you bring a deck to enhanced the experience.
    Nice job.
    Mission accomplish, hope you will get a few cooldown moments to make post-mortems and enjoy what you have created and manage to settle.

• big thank you to all who are posting pics and vids of this event. I’ve looked at all so far and love it. What could make a dream weekend better……drinking a beer with Larry.

• '18 '17 '16

@Baron:

Am I wrong about this?

Baron

You’re probably referring to our game where I was recording hits. If it was obvious like in the case of a ground assault where there was an obvious choice of casualty like an infantry, then we had no problem with them choosing after the rolls. In a naval battle though where it makes a big difference what is chosen as a casualty, we might kindly ask our opponent to choose before rolling.

It’s been a great weekend so far and my partner and I are looking forward to playing in the finals against a team that has steamrolled their way through the competition thus far. YG and his team have done an amazing job of organizing this event and have bent over backwards helping us all to find our way around Toronto and a suitable place to stay while while we are here. I’m staying with one of the members of his play group along with fellow competitors from Austria and England. We are having a great time even after we leave the venue.

Larry has been gracious to everyone who has attended the event. The night before it started he met us down at the pub and knocked back a few while telling his stories. The 2 days at the hall he engaged with each and every person who wanted to speak to him. He never ducked any questions and he had a huge smile on his face the whole time. You could tell that he was at an event that was very special and that the significance was not lost on him. He was visibly moved by the gift that was presented to him by the A&A community.

Gotta go, it’s my turn to have a shower before those other guys use all the hot water!!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

Wasn’t able to get the time off work to go myself but I watched the YouTube streams over the weekend.  Massive kudos to YG for putting on such a terrific tournament.

I saw the win ratios for round one posted on GeneralHandGrenade’s channel and earlier in this thread, but couldn’t find anything for round 2/the medal rounds.  How did those games go?

• @Young:

@larrymarx:

YG, given that the Axis are viewed as having an edge, I think you should have done a bid for sides on the medal round.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just felt that the team who scored the most tokens over 2 full day games deserved to choose their side in the medal rounds , and then there’s the fact that I hate bids.

I agree that bids are not an ideal solution. Ideally, since you are already modding the game to your token system, the solution would be to make sure that the two sides actually are balanced within the rule set.

Although I admire your token system, I don’t believe it actually has this effect. I would be happy to be wrong about this, so please let me know if the various teams’ results in the tournament indicate that it actually is balanced.

If it isn’t balanced, the medal round takes on less significance since the teams scoring 1st - 4th are quite likely to maintain that ranking after playing games where the higher ranking team has an edge.

• wish i could have budgeted a trip to Toronto in, glad your guys’ event went well!!  Any chance of this being an annual thing or is this a one-off?    I was with you guys in spirit, i ran a global A&A table at a convention here in Calgary on Saturday ;)  It was surprising how many people walked up to the table and said “i didnt even know you could do that with europe and pacific”.

hopefully this tourney becomes an annual thing so i can budget for a trip sometime!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@larrymarx:

@Young:

@larrymarx:

I agree that bids are not an ideal solution. Ideally, since you are already modding the game to your token system, the solution would be to make sure that the two sides actually are balanced within the rule set.

Although I admire your token system, I don’t believe it actually has this effect. I would be happy to be wrong about this, so please let me know if the various teams’ results in the tournament indicate that it actually is balanced.

If it isn’t balanced, the medal round takes on less significance since the teams scoring 1st - 4th are quite likely to maintain that ranking after playing games where the higher ranking team has an edge.

Larry - I have a long list of thoughts and comments on this and am going work with YG on it.  I know exactly what you mean and exactly what you are looking for - and we’re going to get it there.

Give me a few days to post a full review.

What I will say though - the token system as a concept is perfect for tournaments.  Allowing a “Score” and “time” to complete got to the truth of the matter - and the truth of the matter was that the best players won thier games.

• @Gargantua:

@larrymarx:

@Young:

@larrymarx:

Larry - I have a long list of thoughts and comments on this and am going work with YG on it.  I know exactly what you mean and exactly what you are looking for - and we’re going to get it there.

What I will say though - the token system as a concept is perfect for tournaments.  Allowing a “Score” and “time” to complete got to the truth of the matter - and the truth of the matter was that the best players won thier games.

I look forward to reading through your thoughts and comments, as well as to finally hearing the responses that you’ve been sitting on this past month to the “11 conclusions” I posted.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

@larrymarx:

@Young:

@larrymarx:

Larry - I have a long list of thoughts and comments on this and am going work with YG on it.  I know exactly what you mean and exactly what you are looking for - and we’re going to get it there.

What I will say though - the token system as a concept is perfect for tournaments.  Allowing a “Score” and “time” to complete got to the truth of the matter - and the truth of the matter was that the best players won thier games.

WOW! Did Gargantua just change his profile pic for the first time in over 15 years?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Young:

WOW! Did Gargantua just change his profile pic for the first time in over 15 years?

Hahaha - YES!

• @Baron:

I hope you will give us feedback of people about victory tokens.
    IMO, it is a great thing to actually get so many people playing along and agreeing to follow what was basically a houserule. And you bring a deck to enhanced the experience.
    Nice job.
    Mission accomplish, hope you will get a few cooldown moments to make post-mortems and enjoy what you have created and manage to settle.

yeah i’m interested to see people’s opinions of these as well, i’ve been holding off buying them as a few of my regular players in my own games aren’t fans of house rules.  Anything I can use to sell them on the idea if they worked well and it sounds like they did  ;)

• '19 '17

I was luck enough to play in YG’s Invitational and all I can say is WOW!!!  It was so great seeing so many hard core A&A enthusiasts in one spot along with Larry Harris.  Huge kudos to YG!  Cheers!

• Sponsor

@Desert_Admiral:

I was luck enough to play in YG’s Invitational and all I can say is WOW!!!  It was so great seeing so many hard core A&A enthusiasts in one spot along with Larry Harris.  Huge kudos to YG!  Cheers!

Thanks DA, Thanks so much for coming such a long way, and thank you for your financial support this summer… good luck with your Vegas event.

• Can I ask how you choose who is a hobbyist amd who is an enthusiast, please?
    Is it a personal choice?
    I watched the Gold Medal vid, that General HandGrenade posted. Was eeally good  to see so many forum members.

• '18 '17 '16

YG put them into the categories that they requested to be in. There was no way that he could judge what the skills were of the incoming players since he had never played with most of them.

One of the things that everyone there seemed to agree on by the end of the tournament was that we were all better players now than before the tournament began. We weren’t just playing our own games, we were playing alongside 9 other tables who we all had the chance to check out from time to time. The lower your skill level was at the beginning the more you were able to learn as the tournament progressed. I learned an awful lot in the game that we lost 7-0 in the finals. There were some subtle moves that my partner and I were exposed to that will take us to the next level as we take that knowledge home with us and refine our skills. Others who were less experienced than us thanked us for teaching them to become better players as well.

All in all it was a fantastic job by YG and his team for organizing a world class event. They thought of everything and helped us all along the way with accommodations and travel. I didn’t record any video of the Tuesday game at Iron Stitches house using my house rules because we were all exhausted from the competition and just wanted a relaxing day where we could laugh, scarf down some pizza, and roll some dice among friends without the rest of the world tuning in for game reports. I will definitely be back for the next tournament.

GHG

• Thank you very much for such a detailed response to my question.
    I am very jealous of all of you and so happy it all worked out so perfectly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m