Was it worth adding ART to the game?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Yes, and if you make the simple change that tech only comes into play after you place your units on the board, it’s no longer unbalanced.

Tech is part of the game.  It was obviously intended to stay because it was included in revised and, without checking, probably in the other flavors as well.  It’s what balances the game!  Bids are nice to add flavor, but really only needed because of certain clubs basically banning technology.

• @Cmdr:

Tech is part of the game.  It was obviously intended to stay because it was included in revised and, without checking, probably in the other flavors as well.  It’s what balances the game!  Bids are nice to add flavor, but really only needed because of certain clubs basically banning technology.

Well, with OOB if the G player spend all money on long range, and go for sealion G1 every single game, then,
    according to my estimates, axis victories should be about 50%-51%……  :roll:
    And, OOB means no bid!

Your statement is correct Jen, but still it’s easy to understand why I disagree?

• Someone should start a wish list thread for 5th.ed. revised :-)

As for artillery, this unit was a good addition to tanks and inf.
    Artillery should not change, neither price or other values.
    Some units need to change, exactly what change is hard to say.

DD, reduced price to 10, or 8 ipc, with att.def. 2-2.
    BB, reducing cost to 18 or 20 ipc.
    AC, need 2 hits.
    Bmr, reduce price to 12, or atleast 14, but one ipc less wouldn’t matter.
    Subs get to choose their targets.
    AA gun, my suggestion is that AA guns fire one shot each unit. And AA should be destroyed, not captured.

Other rule changes must not be a gamble with the current revised, which is good, although some changes should be made.
    No capital attacks rnd 1, tech is activated after placing new units.
    Better balancing. Axis needs bid that are too high as it is. This is not a big problem, but there should not be any need for
    more than one German or Jap inf somewhere, as a pre-placement bid.
    Ports could be nice. This means u have to take Italy to kill the med fleet, and Berlin for the baltic navy,
    or maybe naval units could be captured in ports?

Units that should not change at all are ftrs, tanks, inf, art, trans.

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Speaking of Which, Ender, you ever come up with that portable, stripped down version of your calculator?

I need a dice roller for my laptop with the busted wireless card to play a game on Monday.

Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten.

@Ender:

@Cmdr:

Speaking of Which, Ender, you ever come up with that portable, stripped down version of your calculator?

I need a dice roller for my laptop with the busted wireless card to play a game on Monday.

Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten.

That mean you havn’t made it yet, or that you havn’t forgotten I want it or …… :| hehe.  Sorry.  I don’t wanna be a pest, just not relishing the thought of carring 48d6 to school on Monday to play this egotistical, Machiavellian, homicidal maniac of a math department chair. hehe.  Dang fool isn’t even gunna let it count for extra credit on my capstone either. :(

• maybe naval units could be captured in ports?

Typically they are displaced and naval combat occurs in these SZ if you also have ships. Otherwise only air units can get at ships in port and no naval. Also, the port does not cost MP to leave so your counting from SZ to SZ. Its that simple.

Also, your naval build go directly in ports and usually a damaged BB or CV must touch the port to repair, rather than the old way of “fix at sea”

• Play it with real dice…

Just make sure you have plenty of colors…

“8 INF are black dice for 1’s, 5 ARM are red dice for 3’s, 1 BOM is white die for 4”

:-D

• I think the discussion was always regarding the actual board game balance rather than triple A anyway.

All those dice rollers are no official. Does it just make sence to just have people roll out dice and post or is their some massive cheating going on? requiring a common sight and neutrality for both sides to see the results? Part of the fun was rolling dice if im not mistaken.

@ncscswitch:

Play it with real dice…

Just make sure you have plenty of colors…

“8 INF are black dice for 1’s, 5 ARM are red dice for 3’s, 1 BOM is white die for 4”

:-D

I have 12 Red Dice, 12 White Dice, 12 Blue Dice, 12 Gold Dice. (Red White and Blue with Gold Fringe.  Sorry, I’m a hopeless patriot. :P )

But I’d rather have a dice utility.  Shooting him an email now to see if he has a wifi card and a laptop of his own, or if I have to bring dice. :(

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

But I’d rather have a dice utility.  Shooting him an email now to see if he has a wifi card and a laptop of his own, or if I have to bring dice. :(

Shouldn’t need to now - give this a shot (instructions in a README in the zip file, just extract to C:\ root) http://frood.net/aacalc/maps/frood.zip

Appears to be working, though, the unit I am running on ATM is perma-connected to the net so it might be drawing off the net…doubt it.  :)

Thanks, Dan

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Appears to be working, though, the unit I am running on ATM is perma-connected to the net so it might be drawing off the net…doubt it.  :)

Thanks, Dan

Nope, there’s no way that’s drawing off the net. That would take a whole lot of programming that I simply haven’t done.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m