Custom carriers from OOB's and painted pieces

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I broke off the landing gear from some Shapeways ME-109E’s and gave them to FJO to use somehow, and they became funnels on the transport IJN Macassar Maru, alongside a smokestack made from a German tank barrel.  Check out the mods on the pilot house, too.  The IJN Asama Maru has smoke stacks made from the posts that represent the cranes on the French transports, as well as other modifications to the deck and aft poop deck.

IJN Macassar Maru-starboard top to port bottom.jpg
    IJN Asama Maru-stbd-stern-bow-port.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I think there are now 12-14 Japanese transports done, some as submarine tenders and oilers.  They’re all from Combinedfleet.com, a great history site with old pictures and tabular records of movement of each ship in the IJN.  These two received some Me-109 landing gear as vent/funnels and putty mods.  The San Pedro Maru started as a '41 sculpt I got from HBG and got a smoke stack on the aft deck with the funnels along with fore deck guns from a french transport, and the Santos Maru started as a Pacific '40 2nd Ed piece.  The '41 sculpt has the molded-in windows filled with putty to make a better painting canvas for a more accurate depiction of the San Pedro Maru.  The Santos Maru has an extensively modified deck and pilot house with a smoke stack and funnel vents.

IJN San Pedro Maru.jpg
    IJN Santos Maru.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

The Hokoku Maru was a merchant raider with a very interesting history available here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Hokoku_t.htm.  We were looking for camo patterns to go with the IJN camo fleet pieces and this was the first we came across.  After reading it’s history, FJO had to do it.  The camo pattern posed a bit of a challenge while painting, and there are extensive modifications to the piece.  Comparing the finished piece to the references, I think he nailed it.

IJN Hokoku Maru.jpg
    Hokoku Maru 1942.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

A few more from Combined Fleet- the IJN Bangkok Maru and the IJN Shinyo Maru.  These have too many mods to mention:

IJN Bangkok Maru.jpg
    IJN Shinyo Maru.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I’ve been re-doing some German aircraft I originally did 4-5 years ago or so, and just finished putting magnets in the Desert Luftwaffe, so I thought I’d share some pictures.  For the desert Me-109’s machine guns, I drew them with the .005 pen on a section of a Dom’s Decal sheet that didn’t have decal printed on it so I could get them uniform, then cut them and applied them after the ink had dried, giving liberal applications of MicroSol to finish.  I hate the tail wings on the sculpt so I took a file to them and shaped them correctly before I painted them.  You can see their shape better in the top pic, right middle (yellow flaps).  I also wanted the desert planes to look more like Me-109E’s so I squared off the wing tips.

dscn1698 German Luftwaffe.jpg
    dscn1723 German Desert Luftwaffe-1.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Back on June 9, FJO and I drove from the Detroit area down to Dayton, Ohio for some gaming with Check Your 6! Gaming, where we met some great people and painters, and played “Check Your 6!” with Dave Winfree, owner of I-94 Enterprises (my rookie Me-109 pilot shot down two of his RAF Defiants  :-D).  Dave also brought a lot of merchandise for sale, and FJO picked up some more tiny aircraft from GHQ, and a cool transport sculpt called the Aden Maru. It’s 1/2400 scale, same as the transports and subs in this game.  One neat thing about GHQ stuff like ships is that if they have separate pieces that need to be glued in, they come with extras of those pieces.  So of course FJO had to use them, and the Karishima Maru was the perfect fit.  It has extensive mods just about everywhere- smokestack with funnel vents (whatever those are called) on a built up stern, French transport guns on the bow, deck guns fore and aft of the boathouse, depth charges on the stern, and if I recall, a Liberty ship boathouse modded up in the middle.  The extra GHQ large and small cranes in the rear and FJO’s built crane in front finish up the mods.

GHQ IJN Aden Maru.jpg
    IJN Karishima Maru.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

The transports are all done and I was able to get some pictures together, so here they are.  This one is labeled Heian Maru, but I’m not sure the name is right.  It’s a sister ship to the Hokoku Maru shown earlier, and a merchant raider as well.  It started as a '41 sculpt, with cranes from a first edition transport, German tank barrel for a smoke stack, and some vents made of putty to round out the putty built pilot house.

IJN Heian Maru.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

This one is loosely based on the Yasukuni Maru and is sort of a kit bash piece.  It’s got the top of a Baltic timber Ship (French transport) sculpt for the pilot house and deck guns taken from the same French sculpt.  Taller smoke stack and the 2 pillar crane are also added.  Pretty close to the base ship.

IJN Yasukuni Maru.jpg
    yasukunimarumod.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I don’t recall what the name of this first ship is, but I do know it’s another merchant raider.  Edit to add: the top of the center house is from a German cruiser.  If I get the right name I’ll edit the post later.  The second group is a set of transports to go with the Fleet of Fog camo set.

IJN Auxiliary Cruiser Commerce Raider.jpg
    IJN Fleet of Fog TP.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Since the transports are done, I wanted shots of them separated into two groups based on which sculpt they started as to see the mods easier.  Here they are- the group based on the Pacific sculpts with an un-modded, primed red sculpt, and the group based on the 1941 sculpts with a black plastic piece I got on sale from HBG for a dime or 15 cents.  Edit to add:  I almost forgot to mention- one painted sculpt in each picture is not modded.

TP group Pacific 20180830_231504copy.jpg
    TP group 1941 20180830_230342copy.jpg

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Finished the last 2 Mosquitoes to make 10 for the UK.  We rarely build more than that with the UK, so I’m hoping 10 will be enough.  With 2 exceptions, they’re all painted to resemble aircraft that really flew.  The desert camo isn’t historically accurate and carries my initials.

DSCN1766 composit.jpg

• Founder TripleA Admin

Amazing work!!

I’m working on fixing the images. They are on the server and they are technically in the post but the forum+browser is doing something weird.

• @djensen THANK YOU so much! For both the compliment and getting the pictures to show. I saw your post about adding something to a line of code, and I’m not ashamed to admit I had no idea what you were talking about. I like the way this new forum displays the photos, too. Much larger and easier to see.

• @DMcLaren And the autoloading will get better in a future version of the forum software!

• Ok, this is odd. Today at work, not signed in, I could see everything. Here at home I’m signed in on my desktop PC and can’t see the pictures…

• Founder TripleA Admin

I’ll fix it.

Fixed.

• '14 Customizer

Wow, excellent work. Incredible detail.

• @cyanight - Thank you very much! Seeing some of your work here several years ago inspired us, so your compliment means a lot.

• @DMcLaren This is fantastic work. I love the micro detail you put into these pieces and still keeping a theme for each power. This is top notch.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I’m blown away by the level of detail. You almost forget how tiny these miniatures are when you look at your pictures. Keep up the good work!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m