• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I haven’t seen him lurking around, and I sent several PM’s that were all unresponded too…

Did he get the BAN hammer?

• By God, I hope so.

• VANN got SLANN I believe.

Enough of this VANN DAMM Crap.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You mean DAMN VANN!

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

I haven’t seen him lurking around, and I sent several PM’s that were all unresponded too…

Did he get the BAN hammer?

I’m not sure if he got banned, but exactly how many PMs was several?… maybe you should send him some more.

• All the kid wanted to do was name an idea after himself… which was a bad idea for a bad idea

• He did .

• Is it too mean to celebrate, or am just crazy

• Now look what you’ve all done. Now we’ll never get our hands on to the VANN FORMULA  :roll:

• I know! The other side will br offered it and rule the world. We will be relegated to losing all our games, just like A&A Hitler. Perhaps, we too will become megalomaniacs and rant and rave about how close we came  to  conquering  the world.
    Back to Snakes and Ladders  for me.

• @DrunkenCat:

Now look what you’ve all done. Now we’ll never get our hands on to the VANN FORMULA  :roll:

Good !

@Gargantua:

You mean DAMN VANN!

VANN DANN got CANN by the MANN and the FANN and had to RANN and look for ZANN.

He’ll return under a new name soon from another computer called SAMM BAMM FORMATIONS !!!

• '17 '16

You know, having a game named after you by someone unpopular isn’t a new thing… back in the 80s I used to play a game called “Hitler’s War” from Avalon Hill… Man, that game was fun…

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2168/hitlers-war

• @DrunkenCat:

Now look what you’ve all done. Now we’ll never get our hands on to the VANN FORMULA

I’m not terribly disappointed at the prospect of never getting my hands on something that’s nonexistent.  The formula that applies in these kinds of cases is…

1/T = (H x S)

…which means that the likelihood that a fantastic claim is true (T) is inversely proportional to the amount of hype (H) that surrounds it multiplied by the amount of secrecy (S) that surrounds it.  The greater the hype and the greater the secrecy, the less chance that there’s any truth to the claim.  Frankly, the case we’re discussing reminds me an awful lot of the “nameless force” hoax perpetrated in the 19th-century by a certain James C. Wingard, both in tone and content:

“In February 1876, “Professor” James C. Wingard of New Orleans announced he had invented a powerful new weapon that would utterly destroy any naval vessel, iron or otherwise, “so as to leave no trace of them in their former shape.” Wingard was coy about the exact means by which his weapon operated. He would only say that it projected a “nameless force,” which somehow involved the use of electricity, applied without any direct connection between the machine and the object to be destroyed — and it supposedly worked at a distance of up to five miles, far beyond the range of any other gun or cannon. In other words, this was a nineteenth-century version of a death ray. Wingard claimed that a few ships outfitted with his weapon would be able to dominate all the other navies in the world combined. In fact, he anticipated that his weapon would mean the end of naval warfare altogether, since the first navy to acquire it would become invincible and reign supreme.”

If you read the following article about the Wingard case…

http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/professor_wingards_nameless_force

…you’ll find that Wingard staged a “demonstration” of his death ray, which involved him destroying a target ship anchored a mile away.  The demonstration looked convincing enough, and Wingard was able to raise money for further research on the basis of its “success”.  A subsequent second demonstration, however, suffered a technical mishap and let the cat out of the bag: the “nameless force” which Wingard was using to destroy his target ships was actually a remote-detonated dynamite charge.

• '17 '16

Hey, I love Axis and Allies as much as anybody around these parts… but sometimes I think you guys take it way too seriously… applying math formulas and algorithms and debating the correct equation to come to statistically logical conclusion to a formula… omg… guys step back… A&A is a game that is supposed to be a fun pastime to escape the dreariness of the real world for a few hours and just have a good time… if you’re debating mathematical formulas, you’ve lost the purpose of playing a game…

my 2-cents (probably an unpopular one too)

• @Wolfshanze:

Hey, I love Axis and Allies as much as anybody around these parts… but sometimes I think you guys take it way too seriously… applying math formulas and algorithms and debating the correct equation to come to statistically logical conclusion to a formula… omg… guys step back… A&A is a game that is supposed to be a fun pastime to escape the dreariness of the real world for a few hours and just have a good time… if you’re debating mathematical formulas, you’ve lost the purpose of playing a game…

My above “1/T = (H x S)” formula and related comments actually have little to do with A&A.  They have to do with someone who, over the past few weeks, disrupted our online community.  My comments didn’t relate to whether or not I take A&A seriously; they related to the fact that I didn’t take this guy’s claims seriously.

• '17 '16

@CWO:

My above “1/T = (H x S)” formula and related comments actually have little to do with A&A.  They have to do with someone who, over the past few weeks, disrupted our online community.  My comments didn’t relate to whether or not I take A&A seriously; they related to the fact that I didn’t take this guy’s claims seriously.Â

I wasn’t referring to YOU directly (which is why I didn’t quote anyone)… in fact, I wasn’t really referring to anyone in-particular… the fact that people are coming up with formulas, and many in the community discuss, approve or disprove such formulas is more what I was getting at… it shouldn’t be a discussion at all as far as I’m concerned… I was actually oblivious to the VANN spam… probably cuz I don’t participate in the 1940 Global channel much, and if I see something that looks like math on a gaming forum, I will avoid it. I was more overwhelmed by the Curtmongus spam attacks so missed out on the VANN spam! lol

Maybe I’m old-fashioned… I play games to have fun and don’t put too much thought into them beyond “will my handful of subs and planes take out that British fleet”… if I think I need to break out a slide-rule and consult my abacus, I’ve taken my game too seriously and need to slowly back away… meh, I’m just some crazy old coot that doesn’t put enough math into my A&A… I guess I’d get decimated if some of you guys came down to Pensacola (plz decimate me… I just want someone besides my children to play with!).

• @Wolfshanze:

my 2-cents (probably an unpopular one too)

No not unpopular. That’s understandable. Its the norm in the 40 game now because guys want to change it. It was getting boring to them and wanted a change and they felt the piece values need to be changed and new pieces added.

I only play 39 games and those games have more stuff in them than the 40 game. Yes I’m one of the guilty ones that has to try testing one or 2 things in every game.

Also the changes that are happening in 40 game now are whats already in the 39 games up to a certain point.

If you ever get to the global games after your kids get older ( that be great ) you may see why the 40 OOB game needs a change.

We’re just trying to make the games better I would say.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m