• Disciplinary Group Banned

We all know about the battleship stats, C/M/A/D 20/2/4/4. How about the dreadnought stats??? It’s 30/2/5/5. It is design to take out battleships.

PROS: Shore bombardment, three hits to sink it (with another dreadnought it takes two), it can sink a battleship with one hit, and a carrier with one hit.
    CONS: IT’S EXPENSIVE!!!

People, what are your views on the dreadnought??? Why would you buy it, and why wouldn’t you buy it.

• Technically a Dreadnought is a Battleship back when Dreadnoughts were to be the king of the sea. My idea would be to give it more health rather than more attack and defense.

• Disciplinary Group Banned

One hit to sink the carrier also.

• Dreadnoughts quickly became obsolete…. by 1935 they were being refitted into Battleships with modifications all over the ship making them unrecognizable from their original versions

• @Leatherneckinlv:

Dreadnoughts quickly became obsolete…. by 1935 they were being refitted into Battleships with modifications all over the ship making them unrecognizable from their original versions

Yes but their still WAS Dreadnoughts in WWII, USS Texas comes to mind. But at the start of WWII, everyone basically believe naval aircraft was going to be the dominating factor and WWII proved it.

• Customizer

I think Leatherneckinlv’s problem is with your term “Dreadnought”. When they came out before and during WW1, they were like you say, the most powerful warships on the sea. However, by WW2, the dreadnoughts were really outclassed by the more modern style of battleships being built (Bismarck, USS Iowa, USS North Carolina, HMS King George V, Yamato, etc.)
    It sounds like you are coming up with the concept of the “Super Battleship” with the heavy firepower and 3 hits to sink. I like the idea because I have always been a fan of the battleship. (Sometimes in our games I will mess up my own strategies because I just have to get a battleship when I should get other units.)
    I’m thinking some examples of this extra powerful battleship might be:  Super Yamato for Japan, USS Montana for US, H-44 for Germany, Soviet Soyuz for Russia.
    One thing that concerns me is that battleships were proven to be vulnerable to air attack. That’s how the Yamato and Musashi were sunk. Then there was the Prince of Wales and Repulse. Also, the Littorio class battleship “Roma” was sunk by the Luftwaffe when they tried to surrender to the Allies after Italy changed sides.
    Perhaps this should be reflected in this new Super Battleship. Like if one was attacked by air only, the defense factor should go down by one.  Defend @ 5 against enemy warships but @ 4 just enemy planes (and possibly subs). Just a thought.
    Also, if they got 1 or 2 hits, would there be any lessening of their abilities?

• @knp7765:

I think Leatherneckinlv’s problem is with your term “Dreadnought”. When they came out before and during WW1, they were like you say, the most powerful warships on the sea. However, by WW2, the dreadnoughts were really outclassed by the more modern style of battleships being built (Bismarck, USS Iowa, USS North Carolina, HMS King George V, Yamato, etc.)
    It sounds like you are coming up with the concept of the “Super Battleship” with the heavy firepower and 3 hits to sink. I like the idea because I have always been a fan of the battleship. (Sometimes in our games I will mess up my own strategies because I just have to get a battleship when I should get other units.)
    I’m thinking some examples of this extra powerful battleship might be:  Super Yamato for Japan, USS Montana for US, H-44 for Germany, Soviet Soyuz for Russia.
    One thing that concerns me is that battleships were proven to be vulnerable to air attack. That’s how the Yamato and Musashi were sunk. Then there was the Prince of Wales and Repulse. Also, the Littorio class battleship “Roma” was sunk by the Luftwaffe when they tried to surrender to the Allies after Italy changed sides.
    Perhaps this should be reflected in this new Super Battleship. Like if one was attacked by air only, the defense factor should go down by one.  Defend @ 5 against enemy warships but @ 4 just enemy planes (and possibly subs). Just a thought.
    Also, if they got 1 or 2 hits, would there be any lessening of their abilities?

Yeah, I believe instead of Dreadnoughts, you should just build unique units instead. Just the players gets to buy their nations Battleship.

• Just to comment on a point of terminology: a dreadnought is a battleship or battlecruiser whose main armament consists of heavy guns of a uniform caliber (“heavy” being taken to mean 11" and up), and which has no intermediate-caliber offensive weapons (meaning no guns in the [roughly] 6-to-10-inch bracket).  HMS Dreadnought was the first such vessel, and virtually every battleship built after her was designed around the same basic concept; what changed over the decades was that the guns got bigger, the turret configurations changed (two-gun turrets giving way in many cases to triple or quadruple turrets), and the ships got faster.  Before, during and shortly after WWI, battleships were distinguished from battlecruisers by the rule of thumb which said that battleships had proportional protection – meaning sufficient armour to fight against an enemy ship with the same guns as it carried tself – while battecruisers generally featured higher speed at the expense of carrying fewer main guns and having lighter armour protection (and hence were known as “eggshells armed with hammers”).  The two types – battleships and battlecruiser – merged in the 1930s and 1940s into the so-called “fast battleship” type, thanks in part to improved engine technology.

• As I said before, in terms of Dreadnought, it basically is the same as a battleship but because WWII modernize everyone nations to produce faster ships, “Battleships” were replacing “Dreadnoughts”. As I said before, each nation with a navy in WWII had some kind of Dreadnought in action, usually outdated ships from WWI that were upgraded.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m