• I have played a lot of WiF. My group refers to AA40 as “Axis in Flames”….

• '21 '18 '16

Curtmungus,
    We don’t have cats at the Laredo Texas Headquarters only at the Houston Texas Headquarters which I share with my wife and “her” cat. Please note the requisite beers and smokes in the War Room.

Capture.JPG

• '21 '18 '16

Also to note is that I am destroying my best friend as he is the allies. And I’m about to take moscow.

• @CWO:

@PainState:

My group just switched over to 1940 because of its breath of strategic options, time and well, A&A is just fun because of its simplicity. We normally played World in Flames or SPI WWII, yet those games, no matter how good, take forever to play.

Welcome to the forum and to the A&A hobby.� I have no idea of how long it takes to play games like WiF, nor how complex they are, but it should be noted that A&A Global 1940 is the most complex of the A&A games and that it’s sometimes criticized for taking forever to play (especially if the side that’s losing refuses to concede defeat) – so Global 1940 may turn out to be a bit of a surprise for your gaming group in that regard.� But it’s certainly great fun.

Wif is way more complex than A&A40. WiF has move than 5000 distinct pieces and takes more than 4 hours to set up. People use excelsheets just to figure out how much they produce. Their lists of unittypes, inclueds Armoured HQ, Infantry HQ, Armour Corps, Heavy Armour Corps, Armour Division, Armour marine division, armour para division, Mech corps, Mech Division, Mot Crops, Mot Divison, Inf Crops, Inf Divison, Garrison Crops, Garrison Divison, Militia Crops, Mountain Crops, Mountain Division, Para Corps, Para Divison,  Marine Crops, Marine Divison, Engineer Divison, Mot Engineer Division, Ski divion, NKVD political police Division, Special forces division, AntiTank Division, Anti Aircraft Division, Motorised Anti tank division, motorised Anti aircraft division, Katusha rocked Division, Artillery Division, Motorised artillery division, Selfpropelled gun division, Tankhunter division, partisan HQ, partisan division, Supply unit. And those are just the landunits. It also have three kinds of bombers, 2 kinds of fighters, 3 kinds of naval bombers, several kinds of carrierplanes and airtransporters, Pilots are trained separatly. It also have one named piece for every battleship, every carrier, every Cruiser and every light cruiser. And then it has convoys, subs, frogmen, transport, amphibious landing ships… and Imagined future units. It has weather, terrain, supplies, resources, oil, raillines, poitical rules and many more things.

• Thanks for the background info on WiF, Kreuzfeld.  Definitely an intricate-sounding affair.  Reminds me a bit of a book on wargaming campaigns that I once read; it covers various historical periods, and the chapter on WWII starts with the sentence, “For those who like complications, World War Two is ideal.”

• '17 '16

You want complicated… I used to play Avalon Hill’s Third Reich board game back in the early 80s (before I moved on to the classic A&A of 1984)… now this took hours to setup and even longer to figure out the rulebook… games would take weeks!

THIRD-REICH-board-game.jpg

• '17

Who voted bugger off?

• @Wolfshanze:

You want complicated… I used to play Avalon Hill’s Third Reich board game back in the early 80s (before I moved on to the classic A&A of 1984)… now this took hours to setup and even longer to figure out the rulebook… games would take weeks!

I got that game for my birthday last week. I set it up and then promptly took it down to play A&A. ;)

• @seancb:

Curtmungus,
    We don’t have cats at the Laredo Texas Headquarters only at the Houston Texas Headquarters which I share with my wife and “her” cat. Please note the requisite beers and smokes in the War Room.

Jesus, thank you!  Finally a MAN here, doing it right….

Listen and learn NERDS!

• @Wolfshanze:

Interesting. I found Third Reich very easy to understand and play. You just have to get used to how Avalon Hill wrote the rule books back in the 70’s and 80’s. Our group moved on to a more advanced game in SPI WWII Europe and then SPI Pacific and then moved on World in Flames.

Third Reich can be played in about 16 hours for the entire war with experienced players. The 1944 June set up you could finish in 4 hours.

They came out with Third Reich Second Edition that incorporated a lot of concepts from other contemporary WWII games like World In Flames. I have not played second edition but I understand it takes a long time now to play compared to 1st ed, the picture you posted. I still have my original copy of Third Reich in my game collection that I had from the 80’s when I was in high school.

The best Avalon Hill game of the 80’s was Squad leader. We played the crap out of that game.

• The 1944 June set up you could finish in 4 hours…
    The best Avalon Hill game of the 80’s was Squad leader. We played the crap out of that game.

How is one supposed to win at a 1944 set up as Germany?
    Agreed, Squad Leader is pressing A&A hard for the #1 slot on my most played list. I know that’s heresy in the A&A world but…

• @Benito:

The 1944 June set up you could finish in 4 hours…

How is one supposed to win at a 1944 set up as Germany?
    Agreed, Squad Leader is pressing A&A hard for the #1 slot on my most played list. I know that’s heresy in the A&A world but…

Germany wins if the Allies have not taken Berlin by the end of the Fall of 1945. If Allies take Berlin in the Summer of 1945 it is a draw and any earlier than Summer of 45 is a Allies Victory.

FYI….Third Reich is split into 4 turns. Winter/spring/summer/fall.

• that makes more sense.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

OMG THERE ARE TOO MANY CATS!  CURTMUNGUS IS RIGHT!

There must be Blood for these outrageous crimes against A&A, Humanity, and the Internet.

I Demand a DUEL!  PainState YOU must answer!

• @Gargantua:

OMG THERE ARE TOO MANY CATS!  CURTMUNGUS IS RIGHT!

There must be Blood for these outrageous crimes against A&A, Humanity, and the Internet.

I Demand a DUEL!  PainState YOU must answer!

A duel you say? Against a cat? Well, good sir, I sadly do not own a cat any more.

A duel with me? Well, PainState is always down for a duel. You are not some ANTIFA punk I hope.

:-o

• @Gargantua:

OMG THERE ARE TOO MANY CATS!� CURTMUNGUS IS RIGHT!

I Demand a DUEL!� PainState YOU must answer!

Again, I back Gargantua. Sorry but you will be in a pain state painstate

• @Benito:

@Gargantua:

What is all this talk about cats? Is this some hipster lingo Iam not familiar with due to my advanced age?

Iam a blue blood Gen X American who drinks beer from a 64oz stein as I roll a hand full of dice and decimate you with 27 1’s on 30 rolls and just let out a laugh as I dominate you at A&A. Of course I do not spill one drop of my beer as I dance around the board in celebration, listening to your cries of getting diced.

• @PainState:

@Benito:

@Gargantua:

What is all this talk about cats? Is this some hipster lingo Iam not familiar with due to my advanced age?

Iam a blue blood Gen X American who drinks beer from a 64oz stein as I roll a hand full of dice and decimate you with 27 1’s on 30 rolls and just let out a laugh as I dominate you at A&A. Of course I do not spill one drop of my beer as I dance around the board in celebration, listening to your cries of getting diced.

I AM GOING TO BENCH PRESS YOU ALL!

AND THEN EAT YOUR CATS!

• I’ve played third reich. There is both an 80s version, and a 90s version of that game. They are quite different. However, it is alot simpler and smaller than WiF. I am currently playing a game called Scorched Earth, Urals Mod in the Europa System. This game has baseunits being divisions and regiments. It playes the entire war on the eastern front. Each space is a hexagon at about 25 km accross. you usualle have about 3000 pieces on the map at any given time, when only playing the eastern front. If you play once a week, you will actually use like 8 years to play the 4 years from 41 to the end of 45.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m