• Hello to all you on the A&A 1940 forums.

Iam a new 1940 player, have played A&A since the 1980’s.

My group just switched over to 1940 because of its breath of strategic options, time and well, A&A is just fun because of its simplicity.

We normally played World in Flames or SPI WWII, yet those games, no matter how good, take forever to play.

The nice thing is our group of 4 players are all new to 1940 so we will all learn together this game. We started up our first game last week end and got to the end of turn 2 and will start up again tonight at the top of the order of round 3 with Germany going all in on London.

I have a lot of thoughts and stuff and over time will be active on the forums, discussing all things related to 1940.

Cya guys around.

• '17 '16

Who let all those Germans into England?  Or did Hitler finally invent a joke so funny, it was lethal?

• @PainState:

My group just switched over to 1940 because of its breath of strategic options, time and well, A&A is just fun because of its simplicity. We normally played World in Flames or SPI WWII, yet those games, no matter how good, take forever to play.

Welcome to the forum and to the A&A hobby.  I have no idea of how long it takes to play games like WiF, nor how complex they are, but it should be noted that A&A Global 1940 is the most complex of the A&A games and that it’s sometimes criticized for taking forever to play (especially if the side that’s losing refuses to concede defeat) – so Global 1940 may turn out to be a bit of a surprise for your gaming group in that regard.  But it’s certainly great fun.

• If you play World in Flames, once a week for 4-6 hours. It will take you around 6-7 months to finish the war to its conclusion if you start the game in Sept/Oct 1939 with the invasion of Poland.

If you start at  mar/Apr 1941 at the invasion of Russia and can play 7 days straight for around 10-12 hours a day you will finish in 7 days.

Of course this all based on if Germany can even hold out to get a draw if the Allies do not conqueror Germany by June/July 1945.

• I have to think that once all 4 of us get up to speed with 1940 that the amount of time it takes to play the game will start to go down very rapidly and we could, most likely finish a game in 3 game sessions, with each session played at around 4-6 hours. We will find out though.  :-o

• '18 '17 '16

Welcome to the forums PainState! You should be able to finish a game in 8-12 hours depending on how stubborn the losing team is to admit that the game is a forgone conclusion.

• @PainState:

I have to think that once all 4 of us get up to speed with 1940 that the amount of time it takes to play the game will start to go down very rapidly and we could, most likely finish a game in 3 game sessions, with each session played at around 4-6 hours. We will find out though.

From a mechanical point of view, the primary difficulty with playing A&A Global 1940 over several sessions is that the game involves a large map board covered with many plastic sculpts, mini-poker chips and base markers.  This means that someone would more or less need to have a dedicated gaming area or room where the game could be left set up from week to week; otherwise, the dispositions at the end of one session would need to be recorded, then reconstructed at the beginning of the next session.  And even the dedicated-room option has potential flaws if you have kids or cats or both.

• @CWO:

@PainState:

I have to think that once all 4 of us get up to speed with 1940 that the amount of time it takes to play the game will start to go down very rapidly and we could, most likely finish a game in 3 game sessions, with each session played at around 4-6 hours. We will find out though.�

From a mechanical point of view, the primary difficulty with playing A&A Global 1940 over several sessions is that the game involves a large map board covered with many plastic sculpts, mini-poker chips and base markers.� � This means that someone would more or less need to have a dedicated gaming area or room where the game could be left set up from week to week; otherwise, the dispositions at the end of one session would need to be recorded, then reconstructed at the beginning of the next session.� � And even the dedicated-room option has potential flaws if you have kids or cats or both.� �

No worries from our game groups part on this account. We are all in our 40’s � and between the 4 of us have 2 palatial game rooms of titanic proportions. We have the 1940 map set up and with room to spare if we want to upgrade with grasshoppers increased sized map and still have room for coasters for our beer on the sides of the map.

This is one of the perks of being in your 40’s and having a job, FYI. � � � :-D

Now on the issue of keeping the map intact over a few days or a week, well, my friend got rid of the cat. So, no need to worry about cat Armageddon on the map board.

** Foot Note **

Just for full disclosure.

All 4 of us are married and we all have kids. Now one of them is an old dude. He used to be our history teacher in school (80’s) and coached on the football team. He was the one who got us into WWII board games by playing World In Flames 1st ED after school in the 80’s. He is still in town and plays with us.

• @PainState:

This is one of the perks of being in your 40’s and having a job, FYI.

Excellent.  Over here, incidentally…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20658.0

…you’ll find pictures with some good potential ideas for customizing your game space to give it a WWII-era atmosphere.  Some of the folks on this forum have done an amazing job of creating maginifiently-decorated war room / bunker spaces to enhance their A&A experience.

Cat in A&A Box.jpg

• '17 '16

So the Black Cat goes in the German unit tray?

• @Wolfshanze:

So the Black Cat goes in the German unit tray?

Yes.  An orange cat would go in the Japanese unit tray.

• '17 '16 '15

@PainState:

…still have room for coasters for our beer on the sides of the map.

yea most important : )

• '19 '17 '16

Welcome, PainState:

Even though I’m also in my 40s I pretty much only play online now (never thought I’d say that), so no palatial games room here.  Just my library, which comes complete with a general who whispers strategies into my ear, usually with catastrophic results.

Perhaps we need a new thread just for A&A cats.  :-)

Nikolai.jpg

• @StuckTojo:

usually with catastrophic results.

Perhaps that should be spelled “cat-astrophic”.  :-D

• '19 '17 '16

@CWO:

@StuckTojo:

usually with catastrophic results.

Perhaps that should be spelled “cat-astrophic”.   :-D

Bwahahahahahaha    :lol:

• What!?  Cats and A&A?  That has got to be the height of nerdom!  We need to get some guys who play the game while at the gym… blast your quads then rolls 6 ones!  Grip the dice so hard you crush them to sand!

That’s A&A!  :evil:

• '19 '17 '16

@Curtmungus:

What!?  Cats and A&A?  That has got to be the height of nerdom!  We need to get some guys who play the game while at the gym… blast your quads then rolls 6 ones!  Grip the dice so hard you crush them to sand!

That’s A&A!  :evil:

My cat will shred the designer Gorilla Wear gym clothes off your body - along with your epidermis - so fast that you’ll wish you had the speed and agility of a much less bulky man.  Then, he’ll pluck out your eyeballs and present them to me as trophies, which I will put in the freezer to utilize as reusable ice cubes for my whisky drinks, all while I destroy your hapless armies on the game board.

You obviously know nothing of the nuances of A&A.  :wink:

• '21 '18 '16

Catzilla heading for Australia. We were just getting the game and out and he had to see what was going on.

Capture.JPG

• Get these cats out of here!

We are getting a bad name here!  Pudgy nerds petting cats?  Holy Smokes! We need pics of ripped pecks, maxin’ out on the bench press, Bud Light ape-soldiers cracking dice and pounding beers!!!

• What, you don’t like cats huh? I’m a bit offended by that.

Ps. Your suggestion sounds kind of… Fruity.

sketch-1500009421397.png

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m