Playing without sub-Saharan Africa

• We only play this version once in a while, and to us two things seem evident to us, the Allies have a definitive advantage and in Africa not much happens after the few German units are gone. So I thought you could address the balance issue by taking out territories that don’t matter anyway, apart from their IPC value.

Taking the SZ 22-26 and everything south of the North-African territories out of play, starting with French-West-Afrika and Anglo-Egypt Sudan would have the following effect:

France -3 IPC (+3 from neutrals) - 1 inf
    England -6 IPC, - 4 inf 1 rtl
    Italy - 1 IPC, - 1 inf
    Germany -4 IPC (but in the hands of the Allies soon anyway), - 4 inf 1 rtl

And as a fix of something bothering me, also giving Spanish Marocco the usual garrison and having Spain align with the CP if its colony is attacked by the Allies.

Does that sound like enough to even things out?

• Agree that Africa is a mess, boring and big waste of the map board.

So, have tried several things; but I like these changes…

1. Add German cruiser in SZ26.
    2. African Conscription Garrisons; Upon control of FEA, BEC, PEA, and ANG colonies by CP player, build an additional infantry unit that cannot move and defends with a roll of 1.  This represents CP conscription of men from native tribes.
    3. Impassable jungle has the following restrictions: Movement: aircraft and tanks are not permitted to move into or fly over; Combat: Attacking infantry DO NOT get the artillery bonus.  Plus 1 defending infantry unit gets a -1 die roll modifier.  Sub-Saharan Africa is defined as Nigeria, Kamerun, Belgian Congo, and island of Madagascar.

• I would have done this to save time to play the main theatres in a Tournament Rules  game two of us just played, but my opponent liked the sideshow element Africa provides.
    I suppose I do too!

• '17 '16

@wittmann:

I would have done this to save time to play the main theatres in a Tournament Rules  game two of us just played, but my opponent liked the sideshow element Africa provides.
    I suppose I do too!

You think Africa is a side show in WWI?  You haven’t played the German Pacific Islands variant then, have you?

• We certainly should. Then Europe would be the sideshow! :-D

• Hm, one way to deal with it, is of course make the theater more interesting.
    But our main goal was actually to balance things out, and the idea is to take a few IPC from the Allies to achieve that.

Is there anyone with more experience to give at least a ballpark figure estimate if this sounds about right?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m