Anniversary edition reprint announced at Origins?

• @Lozmoid:

I still own my copy of Anniversary which I bought originally when it first came out. I would love to buy the new version if it came with significant improvements; i.e. larger map (more territories?), 6IPC Tanks, AAA units, advanced technology research, 1940 rules (except for neutrals and Mongolia rules)… what else?

Fortunately, there will be ample room for customizing, as with all A&A games.  The physical map board of any A&A game is arguably the most hard-wired component of any A&A game: unless someone has modified the map by sticking stuff on it (as I did with my Global 1940 map, which has custom roundels), one can look at a particular map board and say, “That’s the board for such-and-such a game.”  The sculpts and other physical components are “soft-wired”, in the sense that one always has the option of importing other pieces from other A&A games as desired, for whatever reason one might have.  (Example: I replaced my Global 1940.2’s non-British UK transport ship and non-Russian USSR aircraft carrier with designs of the correct nationality, which can be found in the 1941 game.)  And the rules are unwired, in the sense that one always has the option of house-ruling a game in ways big or small: it takes artistry and manufacturing / printing infrastructure to create map board and sculpts, but anybody with a word processor could create their own custom rules.  It’s nice, of course, when a game is satisfactory in its OOB state, but players aren’t limited just to what they find in the box.  I sometimes think of the large array of A&A games as a kind of Meccano set that allows hardware and software to be mixed-and-matched in all sorts of interesting ways, depending on personal preferences.

• TripleA '12

Excellent advice CWO Marc, thank you. I am 95% happy with original Anniversary in its OOB state; I merely hope that we find lots of juicy improvements with the reprint! In other words, I am hoping for a new edition! :)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Krieghund’s comment makes me think they are hesitant to change much. Don’t want to mess with a good thing. Plus more changes = more development cost.

• I wonder if any of Axis roll got any of his Chicago house rules added to new game ?

I believe even this game had bids in it.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

It must be pointed out that the AA50 map is actually SMALLER in terms of number of territories than 1942 2nd.  Malaya doesn’t exist in AA50 and Australia is only 1 territory.  Not to mention North Africa is only 3 terr.  China is a bit larger in AA50, but that is about it.

What made AA50 great was the add ons (tech tokens etc) and the rump state of Italy.  It is a real runt in that game, but fun nonetheless.  Also the 1941 start was awesome.  (The 1942 scenario is/was broken).

The point is that AA50 is more a luxury item as opposed to a necessity.  If you have 1942 2nd, you’ve got pretty close to the same experience.

That’s why they’ve got to put something special in there to make it a hit.

• @Lozmoid:

I merely hope that we find lots of juicy improvements with the reprint! In other words, I am hoping for a new edition!

Same here.  It’s already been stated that the rulebook, at the very least, will be updated, and there might be any number of additional tweaks.  So in that sense, at the very least, what’s coming is an updated Anniversary rather than a reissued Anniversary.  (Which also neatly addresses the fact that, technically, the original Anniversary Edition was a year-specific product and therefore is something that can’t genuinely be reissued.)  Personally I’d like to see a few new sculpts, in some manner or other.  It’s a pity that the game doesn’t include France because this would be a good opportunity to give France the distinct non-infantry sculpts it currently lacks in Global 1940.  On the other hand, one very modest (single-sculpt) but welcome tweak would be to give China its own artillery sculpt.  China can always borrow a P-40 Warhawk from 1941 for its fighter unit, but there’s no corresponding source as yet for a distinct artillery sculpt.

• Official Q&A

This is a reprint, not a new edition.  The Rulebook changes were simply the inclusion of the FAQ/errata and newer, more clear and concise wording.  None of the actual rules are changing.

However, Shelly’s statement in the interview that some of the sculpts will be different was news to me, so other physical components may change as well.  This only makes sense, as there have been several new sculpts introduced since AA50 was originally published.

@Krieghund:

This is a reprint, not a new edition.  The Rulebook changes were simply the inclusion of the FAQ/errata and newer, more clear and concise wording.  None of the actual rules are changing.

Keyword right there. Thank you for emphasizing.

• @Krieghund:

However, Shelly’s statement in the interview that some of the sculpts will be different was news to me, so other physical components may change as well.  This only makes sense, as there have been several new sculpts introduced since AA50 was originally published.

Fair enough.  The point I was trying to get across is that, given the projected rulebook changes, what’s going to be published isn’t going to be a pure reprint that’s identical in every way to the original issue.  Assuming that Shelly is wrong and that the only changes will be the corrections to the rulebook that you mentioned, then the product is going to be roughly the equivalent of a book that’s been reprinted with corrections (rather than the publication of a new edition of the same book, or a a new print run that contains the same uncorrected text as the original print run).  If the game, on the other hand, does include sculpts made from the most recent molds rather than the ones which were used at the time of the original Anniversary game, then it could be viewed as a reprint with rule corrections and updated components.  But in any case, the main thing to take away from the information you provided, which is very helpful and appreciated, is that what’s coming in the fall is a game that’s essentially the same as the original one.

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

At least we will be spared those awful ANZAC sculpts from 1940.2

• Does anyone know what the pricing of the original print of A&A 50 in 2008 was? I ask because I’m assuming it’ll be the same price as the reprint.  :?

• @TheAandAClassicDude:

Does anyone know what the pricing of the original print of A&A 50 in 2008 was? I ask because I’m assuming it’ll be the same price as the reprint.  :?

I bought it for a regular price of 78 EURO in 2008; IIRC it was about 90 to 99 USD in those days.

• Right . Pre-order price for AA50 was $99, now probably $119

• @SS:

I wonder if any of Axis roll got any of his Chicago house rules added to new game ?

I believe even this game had bids in it.

As much as I would wish that, I was never contacted.

I would be willing to share our house rules as they have been play tested for many years (easily over 100+ games) with many subtle yet significant changes to make the game fairly even (allies do have a chance, even without running the usual KGF strategy)

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '12

Now you can Sharpie the hell out of this map without the guilt or sheer perversion of it all…not that I had either with the original. :-D

• '17 '16

I may be late to the party… I wasn’t playing A&A in 2008… but if A&A 50th Anniversary Edition came out in 2008… what 50 years anniversary was it celebrating? What Axis and Allies event took place in 1958? I always thought the original A&A game (well the first appearance of it’s current format with plastic miniatures and stuff) was 1984. I guess 50th Anniversary Edition sounds better than 24th Anniversary Edition?

If it’s being reprinted this year with errata data included, maybe they should reprint it as the “Axis and Allies 33rd Anniversary Edition”.

• TripleA '12

@Wolfshanze:

I may be late to the party… I wasn’t playing A&A in 2008… but if A&A 50th Anniversary Edition came out in 2008… what 50 years anniversary was it celebrating? What Axis and Allies event took place in 1958? I always thought the original A&A game (well the first appearance of it’s current format with plastic miniatures and stuff) was 1984. I guess 50th Anniversary Edition sounds better than 24th Anniversary Edition?

If it’s being reprinted this year with errata data included, maybe they should reprint it as the “Axis and Allies 33rd Anniversary Edition”.

I believe it’s 50 years of Avalon Hill’s existence… but I could be wrong.

@Wolfshanze:

EDIT:  Yeah ^^^ what he said.

Pretty sure it was to celebrate Avalon Hill’s 50th anniversary. Not Axis & Allies. Though calling it AA50 is a little confusing in that regard.

• '17 '16

Yeah, well that’s a really weak link there… you assume an anniversary edition of a game relates TO THAT GAME not the company that didn’t even invent the game (they bought it from Milton Bradley who bought it from someone else).

If in 2008 they launched a game called “Avalon Hill The Game: 50th Anniversary Edition”, then that would be better marketing… but 1958 has nothing to do with the game, WWII, the Axis, the Allies or anything relating to A&A at all. Talk about reaching for a marketing gimmick out of a hat…

I say 33rd Anniversary Edition for the reprint (*with errata)

• And here’s the announcement on the Avalon Hill website:

http://avalonhill.wizards.com/games/axis-and-allies/anniversary-edition

THE MOST CELEBRATED AXIS & ALLIES EDITION IS BACK!

Upon its release nearly a decade ago, the Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition became an instant classic! Now this deluxe board game designed by Larry Harris, returns with rulebook updates and streamlined gameplay.With over 650 playing pieces including the largest board ever created for an A&A game, this beloved board game is a must have for the strategy gamer enthusiast.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m