• Our dinning room table isn’t large enough for Global. Do any of you have any creative ideas? Love to hear about your war tables.

• '18 '17 '16

My table is barely big enough but I wanted more room so I put some plywood on top. The plywood has a melamine finish on it so there was no need for sanding or finishing. I have a separate room for this table so I leave it set up like that but if it were a dining room you could just take the plywood off after the game and keep it in a dry place until it’s time to play again. Make sure that you cover the table with something (an old sheet maybe) before you put the plywood down so you don’t scratch the table top.

• My dining table can just and just fit on our dining table (it is a circular table that extends to an oval shape, so the corners go off the edge). There’s some space for the units boxes at the top and bottom of the board, but whoever is the Allies have to stack their boxes.

And whilst the battle board can fit on certain areas of the board like the south Atlantic or Indian Ocean, we use a separate table to conduct battles, which is fun as it feels like we are focused primarily on the battle and not the war, if that makes any sense? Sure it takes time to move everything over, but its a good time to double check unit numbers beforehand for dice roles.

I sadly don’t have a good system for chips and other universal pieces, but next game I will be trialling using a re-purposed tin that can just be passed around between people, or even left in inactive areas of the board.

I don’t know exactly how much space you have or if this is useful to your situation, but its what I do to make use of the little space I have on the table after the board goes on. Don’t forget about where to put all your spare pieces as they need space too!

p.s. I also have a crazy creative idea in my head for a custom portable-cum-interlocking wooden table-top that could support itself on a slightly smaller (but not tiny) table. like SiredBlood’s on YouTube but way more complex (and difficult to make)

• '19 '17 '16

@GeneralHandGrenade:

My table is barely big enough but I wanted more room so I put some plywood on top. The plywood has a melamine finish on it so there was no need for sanding or finishing. I have a separate room for this table so I leave it set up like that but if it were a dining room you could just take the plywood off after the game and keep it in a dry place until it’s time to play again. Make sure that you cover the table with something (an old sheet maybe) before you put the plywood down so you don’t scratch the table top.

In this case why not tape or staple the sheet to the board, probably with double thickness?

In my case our old table was nearly big enough for the board, with a side table improvised for dice rolling and chairs used for piece boxes.

• I used to have two tables that I set beside each other so the Global map could just barely fit. Luckily the tables were the same height. Chairs were used to hold unit boxes and the box for dice were held also on a chair, or on the floor. Now that the other table is gone, it’s even more inconvenient and we haven’t played Global at my place since. Though I gotta say that it’s bit tricky at my friends flat too; he has a short-legged coffee table that can hold 3/4 of the board and the last part has to be placed on couple of footstools that are even on lower level. It’s a pain in the back.

I really need my own Axis&Allies cave. Maybe one day…

• I may a table insert in the attic. I have forgotten about that. May solve all issues.

• '19 '18 '17

I have a cheap ping pong table. Huge surface for the game and folds up nicely for storage.  Cost about $200. And you can play pong pong on it too.  :wink:

• I can do pong pong without the table!

More seriously, I will have a spare room available later this year for turning into my den, so a games space beckons. I am sure that will include an A&A table, albeit with the flexibility to accommodate other games and/or be put away altogether. Will 40G come out of its box sufficiently often to allow its unusual needs to dominate?

I shall have to research all the great ideas on this board when I get to that.

• I refurbished an old pool table into a G40 Axis & Allies gaming table. I cut the center out of a 3/4" sheet of plywood (a couple inches larger then the game map) to place on the pool table rail, and framed it all in. The game map is now inset on the pool table surface. This gives me about a 6 inches raised surface along the sides for unit boxes and accessories, and 12 inches on the ends to roll dice on top of the rail. Being the game map is inset, I can put a board on the top and use the table for other stuff w/o disturbing the game underneath.

• '18 '17

I built a gaming table in my garage for about $70 US worth of supplies.  A 4x8 sheet of plywood, some 4x4’s for legs and 2x4’s for bracing. A strip of 1x2 for framing the game boards. I reused the small parts buckets from my workbench (and justified buying new one in the process).  I works rather well.

I would post photos if I could figure out how…

• @ABWorsham:

Our dinning room table isn’t large enough for Global. Do any of you have any creative ideas? Love to hear about your war tables.

It seems to me that the potential solutions to your situation fall under three broad scenarios.  Scenario one would involve your playing elsewhere than in your dining room.  Scenario two would involve your playing in the dining room, but temporarily moving your dining room table out of the way and replacing it with something else.  Scenario three – which I assume is what you’re thinking of – would involve your playing in your dining room on your dining room table.  Under that third scenario, you basically have two options: putting something (such as a sheet of plywood) on top of the table to make it wider, or putting a small auxiliary table (such as a card table) next to the table to make it wider.  The auxilary table option has two requirements: it requires you to have free space next to the dining room table, and it requires that you get a proper height match between the two tables.  If you can find a card table (or whatever) of exactly the right height, then the problem is solved.  If you can’t find one of exactly ther right height, then your two options are either to find a wooden-legged card table whose legs are too long and which you can saw down to the required height, or a table that’s too short which you can raise to the required height by (for example) putting it on a plywood base or by putting extenders of some sort under the legs.

• '17 '16

@ABWorsham:

Our dinning room table isn’t large enough for Global. Do any of you have any creative ideas? Love to hear about your war tables.

Not sure of the layout of your house, but when I was faced with a dinning room table that was too small, I ended up clearing off and using my Kitchen Island for game night (with barstools), since my kitchen island is actually much bigger than my dining table.

• If you all have ever seen on of those folding tables that people play beer pong in it is almost the exact size of the game board OOB…you can get one for like 30 bucks at a place like Target. Just need a few end tables for boxes.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

You don’t really need a table. Get yourself maybe four sawhorses and a sheet of plywood!

You can do it with two sawhorses, but it’s unstable unless the sawhorses are almost four feet long. Three is doable, but there’ll be wobbly spots. Four (one for each corner, placed at a right angles to the adjacent sawhorses) is really stable.

Marsh

• '21 '18 '16

plastic folding table standard size. 8x10 plywood 1/2" thick minimum. line up the sides even draw marks on the wood where it touches the table for easier alignment next time. drill 3 screws into the plastic table through the plywood. plenty of room to scatter pieces, beer, food, dice rolling, etc.

We use large binder clips to hold the game board together. You need 6 for the 4 panels.

• '21 '18 '16

Here’s a picture

Capture.JPG

• Okay so quick question about tables I have both HBG games -939 and 1936 and I’m thinking of building a table that would fit them and fit 1940 global but I don’t know how any ideas appreciated send them my way thanks! :-D

• @118karate:

Okay so quick question about tables I have both HBG games -939 and 1936 and I’m thinking of building a table that would fit them and fit 1940 global but I don’t know how any ideas appreciated send them my way thanks!

Several customized A&A tables can be seen in this thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20658.0
    Axis and Allies.org Boards > General > Axis & Allies Customizations > Global Gaming Table Threads and Pictures

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m