• @StuckTojo:

@Wolfshanze:

@Young:

I don’t understand where this is all coming from, you guys understand that there are Canadians on these forums reading your insulting comments right… Ok, just checking.

I keep forgetting YG is incredibly thin skinned… odd for a Canadian, its so cold up there… and YES, we know tons of Canadians are on the forums, and some of them are incredibly grumpy and have no sense of humor and find offense in everything… we get it. I suppose next is a long-winded speech about political correctness and safe spaces.

Oh, the Baldwins are SOOOOOO dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5cEoWUUqE

Make sure to hit the ommpalumpa occuping FDR’s old house

• https://youtu.be/DeSs-NQpS64

The US military in a nutshell

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Young:

I don’t understand where this is all coming from, you guys understand that there are Canadians on these forums reading your insulting comments right… Ok, just checking.

I’m a Canadian citizen but US taxpayer, and I think the Canadians, Germans and some others deserve some heat for not taking their share of responsibility for defense of the western world. The US spends 3.5% of GDP on defense, Canada is at 0.9%. It’s free riding, at the minimum Canada should spend 1.5%-2.0% of GDP but it hasn’t been the case for nearly 30 years.

Any serious country would have a serious foreign policy and military, but instead Canada is the lalaland, preferring to criticize and supposedly take the higher moral ground.

• '18 '17 '16

Well that’s weird. I thought that all Canadian citizens knew why.

Maybe you should stick to posting about things you do know then instead of spewing someone else’s ideology. That’s not our ideology. Every single country in the world is a serious country. The rest of us were poking fun at each other in a good natured way and then you come along and start spewing one particular ideology like it was the only one that mattered. It isn’t. If you don’t want to take part in our light hearted ribbing of each other then please stay out of the conversation.

• Sponsor

@Wolfshanze:

@Young:

I keep forgetting YG is incredibly thin skinned… odd for a Canadian, its so cold up there… and YES, we know tons of Canadians are on the forums, and some of them are incredibly grumpy and have no sense of humor and find offense in everything… we get it. I suppose next is a long-winded speech about political correctness and safe spaces.

Maybe a comment about Vietnam will test that thick skin of yours… it’s funny how we decide for others what they should or shouldn’t be offended by. Don’t tell me what’s offensive, I’ll decide for myself what offends me, and I will extend to you the same respect (there’s my long winded speech).

• this thread went way off topic.

• @strategic:

this thread went way off topic.

Shhhhhhh……

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Oh geeze… not the Canada bashing again…  :-P

I admit, as a US guy it’s fun to bash Canada, but for me it comes from a place of love.  I love B.C. and Vancouver especially.  I might even move there in time (if necessary given trends in the US).  The reality is if you picked me up and plunked me in Canada without warning, I’d probably not know where I was and assume it was the US.

My favorite Canada joke is to say when you meet a Canadian: “Oh yes, I’ve met the mayor of Canada…”  That will really get them going.

All joking aside, some of the best players of this game are Canadian and my also my friends.  Gargantua for one. We Americans can bash them, but they have a lot going for them. So we should at least be mindful, lest our mocking comes to haunt us.

If global warming really picks up, we US fools will be high-tailing it to Alberta in no time… Have you been to Edmonton?

Long Live Trudeau!  :wink:

• '19 '17 '16

As a Canadian myself I actually think we are the most thin-skinned, hypersensitive people on the planet, trying to compensate for an America-sized inferiority complex (though we vehemently deny it) with effusions of unearned moral superiority, as if “yeah, we could be a global superpower, but we choose not to, cuz y’know, we’re so moral”.  It’s embarrassing, really.

I long for the 80s, when Canadian humour was of the good-natured Bob and Doug self-deprecating kind of humour that reflects a little humility.  Now, Canadian humour is mostly the nauseating, juvenile, “Americans are all stupid, and I hate 'em!” Rick Mercer kind of humour.  It doesn’t reflect well on us, and shows how deeply insecure we are as a people.

Just the observation of an old guy.

• '17 '16

As someone who still thinks its the 1980s, I don’t know if i’ll ever be able to shake-off my thought that all Canadians are like Bob and Doug McKenzie. How’s it goin’, eh? In all honesty, Canadians are great… never had anything but nice things to say about all the Canadians I have met. Still… that Bob and Doug crack me up.

• '19 '17 '16

@Omega1759:

@Young:

I’m a Canadian citizen but US taxpayer, and I think the Canadians, Germans and some others deserve some heat for not taking their share of responsibility for defense of the western world. The US spends 3.5% of GDP on defense, Canada is at 0.9%. It’s free riding, at the minimum Canada should spend 1.5%-2.0% of GDP but it hasn’t been the case for nearly 30 years.

Any serious country would have a serious foreign policy and military, but instead Canada is the lalaland, preferring to criticize and supposedly take the higher moral ground.

I partially agree and partially disagree, but none of us really knows what gets said in the corridors of NATO.

Winning World Wars and having the dominant military force on Earth definitely has huge economic advantages, like having the world reserve currency, being able to oversee/defend/dictate trade routes, and have “bases” in countries that possess economically vital resources, just to name a few.  The West, and I’m including Japan and S Korea for convenience, has shared mightily in that prosperity since 1945 (Japan, for example, hasn’t had to worry about access to cheap oil for decades), so much so that the post-WWII generations are largely ignorant of how important the military balance of power is for their own prosperity, particularly those in countries that have benefited economically from living under the US umbrella.

That said, the US didn’t assume the role of lone global superpower reluctantly, whilst kicking and screaming.  It wants it for all the reasons just mentioned, and many others.  I’m just guessing, but they may even be secretly OK with other nations not spending comparable amounts on their armed forces.  It keeps them from evolving into competitors down the road.  The Western countries have shown at least as much propensity for fighting among themselves as against others.  But who really knows for sure?

• '19 '17 '16

@Wolfshanze:

As someone who still thinks its the 1980s, I don’t know if i’ll ever be able to shake-off my thought that all Canadians are like Bob and Doug McKenzie. How’s it goin’, eh? In all honesty, Canadians are great… never had anything but nice things to say about all the Canadians I have met. Still… that Bob and Doug crack me up.

Hehehe… that’s why I love how South Park depicts Canada, even if it’s done by a couple Yankee lads.  It hearkens back to that time when we could still laugh at ourselves.

• Sponsor

@StuckTojo:

As a Canadian myself I actually think we are the most thin-skinned, hypersensitive people on the planet, trying to compensate for an America-sized inferiority complex (though we vehemently deny it)

This is me… I admit it.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Canada’s most important contribution to the war IMO was their navy….while most smaller ships, corvettes and frigates, it became the 3rd largest in the world and proved invaluable for securing the Atlantic.

• @Karl7:

Canada’s most important contribution to the war IMO was their navy….while most smaller ships, corvettes and frigates, it became the 3rd largest in the world and proved invaluable for securing the Atlantic.

They even had their own beach on D-Day and their own Divisions on the Western Front. They cleared out the marshlands in Holland in 1944. They took several key objectives.

Their navy was invaluable in the Atlantic, and they sent thousands upon thousands of men to fly all sorts of planes against the Germans.

• '17 '16

@Hunter:

and they sent thousands upon thousands of men to fly all sorts of planes against the Germans.*

*Planes built in America…  :wink:

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Canadians got my mother to start smoking! They were generous enough to a pretty young woman, but she gave most of the pack to her brothers who were eagerly waiting around the corner. Fortunately, once the soldiers went home, she managed to quit soon.

• Once I’ve built a german MiC in Argentina to attack Australia, as a result of a thorough test with AI opponents ;-) 
    And to stay with the by-topic: Germans in Canada/Alaska look odd, but it’s interesting to sort out were in Hudson Bay to land and which sea areas are out of reach for the US fleet.

• I can recall once having an “epic” battle in Bessarabia where the French infantry originally from Syria attacked the resident Italian supported by the French fighter that started in London.

That same game there was also an ANZAC infantry in the Caucasus (not the ones from Egypt, but from Malaysia which had been landed in Persia with the transport that started off Sydney).

• I once had the French infantry from French West Africa liberate French Indo-China the same round that the two French infantry from England liberated Paris.

I also had the Russian infantry from Amur capture Rome (on round 14 if I recall).

Finally, I had the Japanese Mechanized Infantry from Manchuria capture Egypt in a game once.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m