Redesign 1941 Setup on v5 1942.2 San Francisco Experiment

• '17 '16

On Sea Lion, the only way I see it as viable is if there is enough Infantry in Archangel, Karelia, Ukraine and West Russia, to hold some of these TTs with 1 Infantry to fall back up to two rows to launch an effective Sea Lion which will deplete Germany, Baltic, Norway and NWEurope. Meanwhile Soviet will have reach a large income basis.

If not enough Infantry to be picket fodder, it becomes harder to sacrifice Art or Tank to hold position.

Most of my early G playtests purchase are max Inf and 1 or 2 Art to left no single unused IPC. Pretty boring, but necessary to hold Red Army at bay without too much losses of Tank and Art.

Do you think giving on setup an additional TP to Germany may help making Sea Lion a possibility without off balancing Soviet front?
    Don’t forget, Med TPs have to capture Gibraltar, this leave 1 round relief and more if going against UK.
    Or, is it that we must add more Inf and Art on NWE or France or Norway (7 IPCs same cost as an additional TP)? So Germany can use these units to load up TP for the early amphib assault (G2 to G4 max)?
    Worst, do you think Germany need around 5 Infantry split between NWE, France and Norway to not emptied too much Europe when purchasing on G1 a Carrier (14 IPCs) to defend its invasion fleet?

With only 30 IPCs on G1, it provides a CV, 1 TP and only 3 Infs (Italy IC).

G2 40 IPCs purchase is more substantial but you need 1 more TP and it left 11 Infs.
    Then you may proceed G3 but, your Tank and Art have to retreat to not loose them because there is not enough Inf coming fast from Germany.

I’m wondering if to solve this issue, we should not totally reversed Germany setup, a lot of Infantry with Art and a few Tank. On Barbarossa, Germany had more Infantry readied on Eastern Front than in any invasion.
    Soviet had more Tanks and Aircrafts.

What do you think could happen if 4 German Tanks (in France, NWE, Berlin) were converted to 8 Infantry, split 50-50 between Poland and Romania? Even more, including Southern Europe Tank, add 10 Infs, 5 on both TTs ready for Barbarossa?
    Instead of 11 Tanks, Germany would have 6 available and will seems inferior to 8 Soviet starting tanks.

It would be :
    Poland: 9 Infantry, 1 Art, 2 Tanks, 1 Fg, 2 TcBs
    Romania: 8 Infantry, 2 Art, 1 Tank, 1 Fg, 1 TcB
    Southern Europe: 4 Infantry, 1 Art
    Germany: 6 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Tank, 2 AAAs, 1 TcB, 1 StB
    France: 3 Infantry, 1 AAA, 1 Tank

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Solomon / ANZAC Tweaks

These are fine – it adds flavor, and it doesn’t break anything.

Tanks in Leningrad

Can you explain why you want Russia to take back Leningrad with 5 tanks? That seems wildly ahistorical to me. I don’t think Tankograd was really operational at the start of Barbarossa – half of Leningrad’s industrial work force was relocated to the Urals in response to the German invasion, and it took them several months after they arrived to re-assemble the machines and start cranking out mass-produced tanks again. At setup, the workers would not have even reached Vologda yet, let alone had time to manufacture two tank divisions.

From a tactical point of view, I’m also not really understanding why it’s fun or interesting for Germany and Russia to be forced into a giant tank battle on G2/R2, but for them to use mostly infantry on all other turns.

There is also the problem that placing multiple tanks in Siberia at game start allows the Soviets to flood China with tanks, which is not accurate – there would have been no way to maintain the supply lines for all of the gasoline, ammo, and spare parts all the way across the Kazakh prairies, Gobi Desert, Tibetan Mountains, Szechuan jungles, etc. Putting 4 Russian tanks in China on R1 will seriously disturb any Japanese strategy…even if the Japanese send a couple of transports’ worth of troops to take Kwangtung and Buryatia, they are too vulnerable to a 1-2-3 punch from the British, Russians, and Chinese.

Sea Lion

I think the biggest problem with Sea Lion here is that the Allies start the game with moderate naval and air superiority over London, which is historical. By 1941, it was really too late for Germany to launch a Sea Lion attack without a massive redirection of resources. I think that if Germany is trying to seriously threaten London, it should only conquer one row of Russian territory (Baltic / Belo / Ukraine) and just stack those territories hard, weighted more toward Baltic than Ukraine. That way the same infantry can defend against Russian counter-attacks and be ready to deploy onto Baltic Sea transports.

I do not support a second Baltic transport. In real life, the Russians mined Leningrad’s harbor, so the Germans were not really able to ship over significant numbers of troops anywhere east of the Finnish front lines anyway, let alone east of Leningrad / Lake Ladoga.

I think you can tinker with the Western European garrisons if you want to, but it’s not obvious to me that a lack of available German infantry is the problem. It’s just hard to invade London after the USA is already in the war and the UK has had a bit of a chance to build up its homeland defense and fighter corps. I don’t think there will be any way for the Germans to force a Sea Lion against an alert Britain…the best they can do is force Britain to spend more money than it wanted to on placing infantry in London, exposing (some of) Britian’s overseas colonies to Japanese invasion and/or slowing down the progress of the British Atlantic fleet. I’m OK with that.

Adding German infantry to the eastern front

With only the infantry available in your v5 setup, I thought I showed that the Germans have a crushing advantage. I don’t understand why you would want to add even more German infantry.

General Note

You have obviously acquired a very detailed and wide-ranging knowledge of the relevant history for this setup, but I don’t think you’re pausing to apply that knowledge in a thoughtful, measured way. It is not enough to say “Oh, Russia had 9,000 tanks” and then put 9 Russian tank divisions on the map. There’s no exact equivalence between historical unit strengths and the number of pieces that go on the board, partly because of all the variation in leadership, logistics, technology, training, terrain, etc., and partly because the game needs edits from “real life” in order to be fun and balanced for all players.

I am starting to get frustrated with what I see as the careless brainstorming that you are using to come up with ideas for the European front. Every time I come back to this thread, you have a totally new distribution of units for Barbarossa. You always offer a couple of interesting reasons for your new distributions, but I don’t think you’re putting your changes in context or testing your designs to make sure that Germany and Russia are at least roughly balanced against each other.

You’ve shared some thoughts about your overarching vision for how the Barbarossa front is supposed to play out, i.e., Germany has enough troops to advance to the gates of Moscow for two turns, and then Germany runs out of troops so Russia starts to be able to make successful counterattacks. What I don’t see is how you’re organizing the starting forces to make this vision a reality. Which territories do you want Germany to occupy, specifically? How many troops does Germany need to seize them? How many troops does Russia need for a successful counter-attack against those troops? How many troops short is Russia from being able to make that counter-attack, and how many turns will it take Russia to accumulate those missing troops, and how many more troops will Germany be able to advance to the front line while Russia is stockpiling its reinforcements, and why and when will Russia be able to accumulate troops on the front line faster than Germany, and what could disturb that balance in one direction or the other?

I don’t expect you to answer all of these questions correctly on version 6 of our map, but if you’re not even trying to work through these questions before posting a map file, then I probably don’t want to playtest it.

More generally, I would like to start wrapping this project up – I’d like to converge on a map that we’re both happy with, and then be done and show our work to the rest of the community for alpha playtesting. This suggests that we need to be making smaller changes (+1 inf here, move 1 artillery around over there) rather than bigger changes (swap out all infantry for tanks and vice versa). I want to start building on the knowledge we’ve already accumulated from the first 8 versions or so of our map, instead of constantly starting from scratch with radically new designs.

This is a really fun map, and I think you and I are able to complement each other’s strengths and weaknesses very well, and I’ve enjoyed working with you on it, but I wanted to be honest about my growing frustration.

• '17 '16

Thanks again for all the answers on many points.

Just a few aspects for now help you see I’m not going everywhere with Russian front.
    About total switch from Tank to Infantry,  I assumed it was a real paradigm shift. That’s why I did not bother to move anything and send a snapshot. Just general talk on that one.

However, on V6, I addressed a few issues about stacking Caucasus and not being able to hold on G2 or appear to be so huge that Germany will wait G3 before punching this bag. I switched 1 Infantry into 1 Tank (+2A +1 Def, but more mobile attack for a possible R1 counter somewhere.)
    Russia also get another AAA which can be send into Caucasus. And Vologda receiving another Tank, it makes for another 3 defense points more into Caucasus R1. And I didn’t add any unit on German front, only one additional Tank in NWE for “balance”, which I based upon 1942.2 setup (if it was there later in war, it seems ok to have a few units remaining from France invasion). Because there is 11 Armor on 1942.2 OOB set up, and Germany is much deeper in Russia. How can it be possible to reach Moscow if you have more TTs to fight for, a lesser starting income, a still stronger UK’s fleet to consider on the beginning, M3 US TPs and Cruiser (wasting no time next round to unload ground units once purchased), and not at least the same number of Germany’s ground units ?

When I talked about 5 Tanks, it was not my intent to suggest it was a sound strategy to move all-in in such a deadzoned TT as Karelia, just that Soviet changes increase in Mechanized units allows to reach it in many ways to cover this flank and to not let fall in German’s hands too early. But still I like the cost in unprotected Tank payed by Soviet if Finland units are able to storm Karelia.

It conveys the same message about how this front is not well organized on R1 for Soviet. R2 things will be better coordinated.

I know Tankograd will product later in war, but on October 1941 real Siberian Tank division come to help fighting and delaying the northern army group trying to invade Leningrad.
    On your Japan full attack on Asia (to center crush hard), I saw it can be necessary to leave more options to Soviet player (and you asked for more variety than a repetition of 1942.2 setup. It is possible to travel into China but we know there is much bigger fish to fry in the west.

I agree that we cannot make any 1 for 1 correspondence between divisions, only impressionistic depiction.

Coming back on strategy, the issue I realized on Germany’s units distribution is that we were working on inherited setup of AA50 1941 and 1942.2 as background. But, if any of us, as player, had to built up a game invasion from scratch and place all its units where it is needed we will agree that having plenty of Inf and Art on front row is the best while Tank can be purchased later and can feed the front more faster. It does not work the other way around if you have plenty of tanks and too few fodders. Your attack will jammed near G2 because you have to wait for more Infantry purchased to reach your forward front. In that case, it is almost like you have to wait 2-3 turns before restarting the “perfect storm”: building 10 new Infantry, moving in Poland or Baltic states G3, then reaching your immobilized stack of Art and Tank in Ukraine and Belorussia G4. (Not saying that freezing your army is the thing to do, but just for the sake of understanding the point.)  In fact, if we give more Soviet Infs to Karelia, Archangel, West Russia and Caucasus, this is where the front will stall back and forth anyway.

So, here is what I realized, if we want to convey the idea that Germany is a well prepared, well organized army, it should not be obvious to hard core player that you have to loose you costly units almost on starting G2 to make gains in Soviet union and more incomes. It is like you are fighting for 8 IPCs swing while you are wasting around 30 more or less IPCs TUVs to maintain your invasion in second row of TTs in Soviet Union. A bit unsound.

On G40, German player can prepare his built up to launch Barbarossa, if he wishes.

There is no room for that here, it is up to you and me.

I would like to recreate a G1 june 1941, G2 end at the gate of Moscow dec 1941 dynamics. R2, winter 1942 “Siberian reinforcement” counter attack effect.

How to get it while leaving enough room for Soviet player strategic or tactical freedom, I’m still looking for the best way. (And also giving more options if Germany want to try Sea Lion.) I just realized yesterday that maybe a paradigm shift was needed because we started Germany’s foundations on older OOB setups.

I knew in order to really move into that direction it needs more talking and more solitary lab work. I was talking first before making any big overhaul.

I understand you feel we were near the finalized setup to be canned with just a few tweak here and there on Eastern front. I’m ok with this. I will follow your lead on that one. (If you want to revert back Soviet Tank into Infantry and put it nearer Karelia and West Russia.)
    Our actual scenario is probably not well suited for Sea Lion options, so at least we can make it a balanced setup for Barbarossa and Operation Overlord. (Which I agree with you, we were not that far.)

And as you said, if I want big changes, I will work them out much more before submitting a map to test.

I hope it will cool some steam off.
    :wink:

• '17 '16

There is also the problem that placing multiple tanks in Siberia at game start allows the Soviets to flood China with tanks, which is not accurate – there would have been no way to maintain the supply lines for all of the gasoline, ammo, and spare parts all the way across the Kazakh prairies, Gobi Desert, Tibetan Mountains, Szechuan jungles, etc. Putting 4 Russian tanks in China on R1 will seriously disturb any Japanese strategy…even if the Japanese send a couple of transports’ worth of troops to take Kwangtung and Buryatia, they are too vulnerable to a 1-2-3 punch from the British, Russians, and Chinese.

What about closing totally Western China, but adding another IC in Sinkang or 1 or 2 more Infs to simulate their populations reservoir?
    That way, if Soviet want to attack with Tanks it will be via Amur and Trans-Siberian to Vladivostok.

On VTs topic, do you believe that Rio Brazil can really be fight for by Germany?

IMO, it is a gift to USA.
    Think about placing it either in Archangel (to help Moscow) or moving it to Truk in Caroline Islands to be a target for UK or USA.
    (Or even in Western Canada to be another target up north, but this is less interesting.)

I just want as much as possible to streamline VTs according to 20-30-40 lists.

If you don’t want, I can wait and try somehow to launch one Med TP to fight over Rio, once Gibraltar will be captured. But, from my biased (aim to test other things) play-tests, it is either Stalingrad, Cairo or even London which attract Med TPs attention.

All right, that all makes much more sense – I’m sorry I criticized your methods so harshly. I am under some stress at work right now, and I may have been trying to take some of it out on you.

How Germany Can Expect to Win From 1941

In the 1942.2 OOB setup, Germany has 29 infantry and 3 artillery. Of those, Russia typically kills off 6 inf, 2 art (West Russia & Ukraine attack) before Germany even gets to move. So Germany will usually start G1 with 23 inf + 1 art = 24 walking units.

In your San Fran Alpha 0.5 1941 setup, Germany starts with 35 infantry and 6 artillery, and Germany gets to go first, so Germany will always start G1 with 35 + 6 = 41 walking units – almost twice as many walking units as the 1942 starting position.

Similarly, in 1942.2 OOB, Germany starts with 4 subs and 7 planes. It has two tiny fleets with one transport each, but they are very badly exposed, and Germany must take drastic measures to keep either of them alive until G2, let alone G3.

In SF Alpha 0.5 1941, Germany starts with 10 subs and 10 warplanes, plus a pair of reasonably well-protected fleets (BB + DD + tran in Baltic, BB + 2 CA + 2 DD + 2 tran in Med).

I think tanks come out roughly the same.

So Germany is “ahead” by about 180 IPCs’ worth of units in the 1941 setup relative to the 1942 setup. Yes, Germany has more tasks to accomplish (more British fleets to kill, more Russian fleets to kill, more Russian planes to kill, more Russian territories to take, etc.), but even allowing for serious losses (let’s say you lose 4 subs and 4 planes on G1 – that is a loss of $64) and even if it takes you 2 full turns just to get to the 1942 front lines (a loss of at most $10 on G1 and $5 on G2) that still leaves Germany well ahead of the game.

As you say, the Allies also have advantages…more starting troops in Africa, faster transports, a better-defended China, factories in ANZAC, etc. But Germany has enough “extra value” left over in its starting setup to have a fair shot at counteracting these advantages, I think.

Setting up tank battles

I did not fully understand this paragraph you wrote:

So, here is what I realized, if we want to convey the idea that Germany is a well prepared, well organized army, it should not be obvious to hard core player that you have to loose you costly units almost on starting G2 to make gains in Soviet union and more incomes. It is like you are fighting for 8 IPCs swing while you are wasting around 30 more or less IPCs TUVs to maintain your invasion in second row of TTs in Soviet Union. A bit unsound.

This sounds interesting. Can you say more about this?

In general, I approve of the idea of trying to show that germany was organized for war and russia was not. I am still unclear on how you want to do that, but I would like to learn more.

By the way, if you want to experiment with switching out many of germany’s tanks for extra infantry, we can explore that together – I have calmed down now and I can see why that would be interesting. We may decide to abandon that fork and go back to v5 or v6 or even earlier, but I do think it’s worth at least testing a version of that. I may try to create a radically new setup myself along those lines, that you can test if you wish.

Soviet Tanks in Western China

I think totally closing off Western China to prevent Soviet tanks there is overkill. I like having a small, limited connection b/w Russia and China. It’s not easy to cross the Gobi Desert, but it’s not impossible, either…if China had totally fallen, then that would have provided Japan with some access to central Siberia.

Victory Cities

I am not very concerned about Rio being a “gift” to the USA. First of all, the point of a victory city is not necessarily to be a target that both sides can fight over with equal chances. Romania/Ploesti is a gift to Germany; Manila is a gift to Japan, etc. That’s fine.

Second, both Germany and Japan have some chance to reach Rio in the endgame – if Japan conquers ANZAC, then Argentina is the natural next target, and Brazil comes next after Argentina. Similarly, if Germany takes Gibraltar, then a move to French West Africa to liberate / reinforce the Vichy factory is natural, and FWA is one move from Brazil. This will not happen in most games, but it will happen in some.

Third, just because Brazil is easy for Allies to grab does not mean that Brazil is automatic for Allies to grab. Yes, the Allies can take Brazil if they want it, but the point is, they have to. The Allies have to spend at least some resources taking and holding South America, or else that affects the victory situation on the map. This is as it should be.

I’m willing to move Ottawa -> Rekyavik by way of compromise, but Rio stays.

Likewise, I am not sure Truk is needed when we already have Manila, Honolulu, and Panama City, but I will add Truk as VC #25 if it is important to you.

• '17 '16

@Argothair:

All right, that all makes much more sense – I’m sorry I criticized your methods so harshly. I am under some stress at work right now, and I may have been trying to take some of it out on you.

How Germany Can Expect to Win From 1941

In the 1942.2 OOB setup, Germany has 29 infantry and 3 artillery. Of those, Russia typically kills off 6 inf, 2 art (West Russia & Ukraine attack) before Germany even gets to move. So Germany will usually start G1 with 23 inf + 1 art = 24 walking units.

In your San Fran Alpha 0.5 1941 setup, Germany starts with 35 infantry and 6 artillery, and Germany gets to go first, so Germany will always start G1 with 35 + 6 = 41 walking units – almost twice as many walking units as the 1942 starting position.

Similarly, in 1942.2 OOB, Germany starts with 4 subs and 7 planes. It has two tiny fleets with one transport each, but they are very badly exposed, and Germany must take drastic measures to keep either of them alive until G2, let alone G3.

In SF Alpha 0.5 1941, Germany starts with 10 subs and 10 warplanes, plus a pair of reasonably well-protected fleets (BB + DD + tran in Baltic, BB + 2 CA + 2 DD + 2 tran in Med).

I think tanks come out roughly the same.

So Germany is “ahead” by about 180 IPCs’ worth of units in the 1941 setup relative to the 1942 setup. Yes, Germany has more tasks to accomplish (more British fleets to kill, more Russian fleets to kill, more Russian planes to kill, more Russian territories to take, etc.), but even allowing for serious losses (let’s say you lose 4 subs and 4 planes on G1 – that is a loss of $64) and even if it takes you 2 full turns just to get to the 1942 front lines (a loss of at most $10 on G1 and $5 on G2) that still leaves Germany well ahead of the game.

As you say, the Allies also have advantages…more starting troops in Africa, faster transports, a better-defended China, factories in ANZAC, etc. But Germany has enough “extra value” left over in its starting setup to have a fair shot at counteracting these advantages, I think.

Setting up tank battles

I did not fully understand this paragraph you wrote:

This sounds interesting. Can you say more about this?

In general, I approve of the idea of trying to show that germany was organized for war and russia was not. I am still unclear on how you want to do that, but I would like to learn more.

By the way, if you want to experiment with switching out many of germany’s tanks for extra infantry, we can explore that together – I have calmed down now and I can see why that would be interesting. We may decide to abandon that fork and go back to v5 or v6 or even earlier, but I do think it’s worth at least testing a version of that. I may try to create a radically new setup myself along those lines, that you can test if you wish.

I’m glad you like the idea: Germany organized, Russia not.

If you want to create the V7 setup, I would be very grateful because I will not have much time until Saturday.

Thanks for really make the count on Germany numbers.
    I never thought there was that much Infantry.

If Japan do not invade it, Soviet Union will get probably more or less: R0 32 PUs, R1 26 PUs, R2 24 PUs, R3 17 PUs.
    So, by R4 there will be near 100 PUs of unit added on board to resist Germany.
    It means, around 30 Infantry to oppose German army in Soviet Union to added to Soviet units in Karelia, Caucasus and all TTs around Moscow.
    This may help find the level of defense which Germany have to fight.

About what I said more or less correctly, I meant that the best offence, which doesn’t need to wait for slower fodder to catch frontal units to attack the next row of TTs in Soviet, is mainly built of Infantry and a few Artillery. If you can always wipe the enemy in a single combat round, you minimized damage on your side (here what are useful planes and Tank).
    Eventually, all your Infantry units will wear off and Tanks / Artillerys will be exposed to attrition attack (strafing strategy) or an annihilation battle reducing as much as possible German offensive power. But what Russia will built, will be available next round to fight. Not the case for Germany, unless TP being short cut (Med fleet) or purchasing planes.

The minimal to win is to have a last tank to capture Moscow, while all your aircrafts and all fodders will be destroyed.
    Until you get to Moscow, as long as Soviet have enough Infantry (with air support), he will trade German’s Art and Tank for a profit.

This is the general dynamics, like a wave on the shore which finally breaks at the end.

What is the key against Russia is to oppose an Infantry stack defending @2 against russian Infantry attacking @1. In such case, battle will be difficult but TUVs swing at best will be even. Usually when this happen, I have to fall back one TT with Russia until I get enough Infantry in my stack (combined with all planes and Tanks) to make some strafing (in hope that my big hitter will hit the mark on first combat round) then retreat. If there is no opportunity to have more russian Infantry than German in a given TT, I will have to take a defensive stance and reinforced if I can no more retreat.

Germany have three zones to fill with units: north, centre and south. This also reduces the main stack of German’s Infantry (because you will not expose a single Tank in a TT, if you have other means to control it).

Destroying German’s artillery and Tank and loose Soviet Infantry is the main objective for Russia.

As long as German’s army have a lot of fodder, Germany can marches on toward Moscow. Then, have to stop to replenish his front, then continuing with the new influx of Infantry.

It is at this condition, than a final showdown with Russia will be a real conquest (if Germany only loose Infantry and keep intact his Tank and planes).

My paradigm shift is to give minimal Tank and Arty on start but a lot of Infantry. Reinforcement will follow, if Germany purchase more Tank and planes.
    For example, let’s suppose for G1 and G2, the main issue for Germany is to decide where to give support with Tank and Art.
    In the worst case, he may have to rely upon planes to reach a maximum punch to limit the number of defending round and rolls.

However, Infantry attack rolls are less reliable and the more there is combat round, the more you loose attacking units. (Japan in Kiangsu against Anwhei can provides the model I got in my mind.)

From another aspect:
    To make things more interesting as purchaser for Germany, you will prefer to have to buy warships, Art, Tank or planes.
    This is only possible if you have a lot of Infantry but lacking of heavy hitter to support these units you will buy them to increase your attack factor for your Infantry.

I don’t think I’m very clear. I got the intuition but I need more time to get familiar with this idea and be able to better understand and explain it.

P.S. I see no offence, our method sometimes use pictures instead of more words. And without enough infos about intents and other reasons to put something here or there, it can be irritating.

• '17 '16

@Argothair:

Soviet Tanks in Western China

I think totally closing off Western China to prevent Soviet tanks there is overkill. I like having a small, limited connection b/w Russia and China. It’s not easy to cross the Gobi Desert, but it’s not impossible, either…if China had totally fallen, then that would have provided Japan with some access to central Siberia.

Victory Cities

I am not very concerned about Rio being a “gift” to the USA. First of all, the point of a victory city is not necessarily to be a target that both sides can fight over with equal chances. Romania/Ploesti is a gift to Germany; Manila is a gift to Japan, etc. That’s fine.

Second, both Germany and Japan have some chance to reach Rio in the endgame – if Japan conquers ANZAC, then Argentina is the natural next target, and Brazil comes next after Argentina. Similarly, if Germany takes Gibraltar, then a move to French West Africa to liberate / reinforce the Vichy factory is natural, and FWA is one move from Brazil. This will not happen in most games, but it will happen in some.

Third, just because Brazil is easy for Allies to grab does not mean that Brazil is automatic for Allies to grab. Yes, the Allies can take Brazil if they want it, but the point is, they have to. The Allies have to spend at least some resources taking and holding South America, or else that affects the victory situation on the map. This is as it should be.

I’m willing to move Ottawa -> Rekyavik by way of compromise, but Rio stays.

Likewise, I am not sure Truk is needed when we already have Manila, Honolulu, and Panama City, but I will add Truk as VC #25 if it is important to you.

No need to hurry on these ones.
    My reason is mainly practical, to harmonize Barney VTs appearing on Global Map (40 VTs) and 1942.2 Map (20 and 30 VTs) now 24 VTs.

In fact, my very first suggestion, if I remember correctly was 24 VTs and included Rio. But this was before discussions which help expand the list to 20-30-40.
    Rio is after all, the only VTs on that Continental mass.

• '17 '16

Here is a few differences I noticed by just changing most German Tanks which were West of Poland and Romania into Infantry (1 Tank = 2 Infantry) then placed: 5 in Poland and 5 in Romania.
    Germany gets only 6 Tanks in Europe to start with.

1- More variety in purchase: my first purchase as Germany have to be mixed, Germany is craving for heavy and fast moving hitter (Tanks and planes) but if not building Infantry, the initial wave will fade off exposing Tank and Artillery. In addition, if you choose Navy on G1, it is less compromising: you can deal with no additional Infantry influx for G2 assault.

2- A large increase in Infantry which may hold off Russian counter longer (think about infantry stack reinforced by fighter), leave room to strategically opt for Sea Lion instead of singly focus on Moscow.

3- Anecdotal: it took more than just 1 round to get rid of Ukraine, which implied 2 more Infantry loss. An Infantry stack survives longer but have less punch on opening combat round. This creates an opportunity for the attacker to choose different pressure point according to which battle you put into planes and Tank.

4- 2 Infantry are less mobile than 1 Tank, it means more predictability on the Russian front about where can be the major attack, it gives more time to react. All Soviet army stack doesn’t need to fall back everywhere, only where the main German stack deadzoned a TT. And sometimes, 2 Infantry @1 against 1 Infantry @2 bring interesting not so predictable TUV swing according to the first attack round.

5- German army made of mostly Infantry (and art back up) better radicalized the choice between South, Center or Northern Army group. The way German player’s split his stack give very different strategic opportunities, for both sides, and increase the impact of the decision. Do you stack all your army in Western Russia, at the risk of being almost destroyed by Soviet? Do you go north, so Caucasus Infantry cannot easily foddered an attack on your forces? Do you go south, and be stalled longer because German Baltic Army cannot reinforced Ukraine but have to fight Leningrad.

6- It gives a sense of slow moving in G1 and G2, your armies are massive but going one path is compromising. With a lot of tank, you feel the Eastern Front is mobile and about moving Tank where is Russian Pocket resistances. IMO, the Infantry push gives a better feel of how Germany is a bulldozer. Later G4-5, there will be less units on board and it will be anyway this kind of mobile combat. The only time it is possible to do different is on opening set-up.

7- I made a test where it was possible to place G2 all Germans Infantry and Tank in Western Russia (while Karelia and Ukraine were captured). Exactly as 1941 december last attack on Moscow.
    In that case, Russian stack was in Caucasus and R2 attack West Russia with Moscow reinforcement.
    It was a 97% odds to destroyed everything, but saving only 2 planes and 1 T-34 Tank.
    Both sides have to rebuilt forces but it clears up Eastern Front.
    IMO, it gives an historical play-pattern. You may play otherwise because it all depends about how Germany want to use his Infantry stack, on offense (as fodder) or defense (with double combat values) but with no plane reinforcement? Both can suit players.

8- It provides a real change for Russia to have more Tanks and less Infantry and even more than 2 planes depending on G1 decisions. It can be a defensive play (using @2 Infantry advantage) or offensive (including strafing) on specific German stack. It is now possible because of 5 available Tanks on beginning and at least 1 Fg+1TcB, this 22 attacks points can make a big difference according to where Soviet player apply pressure.

9- It brings a real paradigm shift on the usual way of Eastern front depiction, for once, and traditional OOB game flow, as a second real original change. This change seems very promising. Even if it needs more adjustment to find the balanced level of Infantry and Tanks on both sides.

Moscow is 4 TTs from Germany. An invincible army would take G4 to finish off Russia. If G1 is unopposed, I believe you may suppose 2 Soviet counter, delaying to G6 to get the epic fight. This provide at least 5 reinforcement rounds.

Now I’m actually pushing the envelop further by adding more Infantry (Norway and France and NWE) and Art (on G and Romania, but less Inf) and less Tank. Bringing more Infantry, to give opportunity and time to either built Tanks or TPs according to Moscow must fall or London must fall.
    Infantry on Western far side will take much longer to reach Eastern front anyway (same time as being built up). The point is giving Germany essentially Infantry and few Tanks, allows player to choose what he want to do both strategically (goal) and tactically (means).

The idea is to let Germany purchase pattern being more : G1-G2 costlier units, G3-G4 mixed, later game Infantry (fortress Europe).

Looking about Barbarossa myths I got some numbers:

Myth 5) The vast numerical superiority enjoyed by the Soviets
    Nazi propaganda nurtured the image of Germans fighting against innumerable masses from the East, but this is just a racist propaganda. In actual fact, the war on the Eastern Front in 1941 was characterised by a Soviet inferiority in pure numbers. On 22 June 1941, the four Soviet western military districts between the Baltic Sea and the Black Sea had 2.3 million men, opposed to nearly 4.5 million Axis troops. The Wehrmacht had amassed 3.35 million troops. To this the Romanian army contributed 600,000, and in the north, Finland had already mobilised its army and could muster 530,000 men.

When the Red Army counter-attacked at Moscow in December 1941, the Soviet numerical inferiority was even larger. Soviet strength returns in archives show that on 1 December 1941, the Soviets were able to muster 576,500 soldiers and 574 tanks against German Army Group Centre which at the time had between 1.9 and 1.2 million troops with 1,800 tanks and assault guns. The Germans not only enjoyed a three-fold numerical superiority in tanks, but of the Soviet tanks employed against them at Moscow, only around 30 per cent were T-34s or KVs, with the remainder being completely obsolete tankettes.

As the war continued, the Germans gradually lost their numerical superiority which reflects the greater Soviet industrial capacity but their most brilliant victories in 1941 were achieved with a convincing numerical superiority.

http://www.historyextra.com/article/feature/operation-barbarossa-9-popular-myths-busted

• '17 '16

About Norway, it is still an issue.
    On G1, German navy have to fight Cruiser and Sub.
    On UK1 and US1, it is possible to launch a Norway invasion and block drastically Baltic Navy.
    G2, you have to retake. If UK2 or US2 not doing anything, it is only G3 you may get out.
    But, Norway becomes a gamey way (not that historical) to protect UK’s fleet.

M3 TP and Cruiser essentially makes Norway the first juicy target to help Russia for Allies.
    I don’t think it is necessary to increase the incentive on it.

For all my play-tests, it reveals as an hindrance to play a Battle of Atlantic. I cannot launch any Subs built by Germany from Baltic.

At least, I’m testing in Germany Infantry push increasing to 4 Infantry both Norway (+1 AAA) and Finland. Might help to not get too early this Norway invasion. If, I move Infantry out of Norway, Germany will be responsible if Allies attack it.

What is working for sure, is making Norway a strategic key point you need to protect Allies from Baltic fleet. Or Germany need to hold if he wants to destroy Allies fleet around UK.

It is still possible to built Sub with NWE IC, but they are vulnerable to an immediate counter from Air attack. Baltic BB allows to shield Subs built in this SZ.

• '17 '16

@Baron:

About Norway, it is still an issue.
    On G1, German navy have to fight Cruiser and Sub.
    On UK1 and US1, it is possible to launch a Norway invasion and block drastically Baltic Navy.
    G2, you have to retake. If UK2 or US2 not doing anything, it is only G3 you may get out.
    But, Norway becomes a gamey way (not that historical) to protect UK’s fleet.

M3 TP and Cruiser essentially makes Norway the first juicy target to help Russia for Allies.
    I don’t think it is necessary to increase the incentive on it.

For all my play-tests, it reveals as an hindrance to play a Battle of Atlantic. I cannot launch any Subs built by Germany from Baltic.

At least, I’m testing in Germany Infantry push increasing to 4 Infantry both Norway (+1 AAA) and Finland. Might help to not get too early this Norway invasion. If, I move Infantry out of Norway, Germany will be responsible if Allies attack it.

What is working for sure, is making Norway a strategic key point you need to protect Allies from Baltic fleet. Or Germany need to hold if he wants to destroy Allies fleet around UK.

It is still possible to built Sub with NWE IC, but they are vulnerable to an immediate counter from Air attack. Baltic BB allows to shield Subs built in this SZ.

I made a few tests.
    As you first suggested, I would try to allow Baltic Navy to cross strait when Norway is Axis controlled.
    NWE should not be relevant.

It needs to edit when crossing with German Navy while NWE is Allies control.

I made a lot of changes in Europe.
    I tested many ways.
    Here is below where I am.
    Maybe, just focus on Germany, Soviet, UK and US on ETO.
    Unless we feel we find a set-up which fit, I’m not sure it worth plays Japan too.

I really increase units variety for Soviet Union. Even Karelia gets a Fighter and Caucasus a Tank.
    As you wished much earlier along this thread, it allows for a weak counter-strike strafe, which can turn lucky for Soviet and wipe a lot of Infantry. It depends a lot on how many infantry survived the first assault and how Germany’s player distribute Infantry units and the single AAA between Belorussia and Ukraine. Even if moving hard against either Karelia or Caucasus, the remaining forces may attack from the other un-assailed TT.

Germany has more difficult choices on this one IMO.
    If all in against Russia, UK gets a working fleet. If UK’s fleet a priority, then a few planes will survive to R1. There is virtually no chance that Germany gets all targets, unless being lucky and taking many risks.

That is why I added an undefended (last of the war) TP in the famous Greenland Gap. It is only meant to left the u-boat commander to decide whether or not UK’s warships are a priority. Dispatching 1 Sub against this lonely TP might as well meant the UK’s BB or 1 TP and 2 DDs in Easter Canada SZ to survive because of lack of enough Subs as attack or fodder…

The Mid-Atlantic Gap is a geographical term attributed to an undefended area beyond the reach of land-based RAF Coastal Command antisubmarine (A/S) aircraft during the Battle of the Atlantic in the Second World War. It is frequently known as The Black Pit, as well as the Atlantic Gap, Air Gap, Greenland Gap, or just “the Gap”. This resulted in heavy merchant shipping losses to U-boats. The gap was eventually closed in May 1943, as growing numbers of VLR Liberators (Very Long Range models) and escort carriers became available, and as basing problems were addressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_gap

Hope you will like it.

P.S. I also changed units from Japan to Formosa to follow history and make relevant to pick units from Formosa instead of Japan:

Both the Japanese Army and the Japanese Navy developed Taiwan from a military sense. The ports of Keelung (Kirun or Kiirun in Japanese) and Takau (Takao in Japanese, now renamed Kaohsiung in Mandarin Chinese) were originally developed by the Japanese into major commercial ports but by this time were also served as main naval bases; at the opening chapters of the war, many of the amphibious missions against British Malaya and Philippine Islands were launched from these two ports.

http://ww2db.com/country/taiwan

SanFran_1941_Alpha09Baron.png
    SanFran_1941_Alpha09Baron.tsvg

Looking at this now. Have you tested a German opening that pulls the Libya troops up to Caucasus on G1 while attacking Belorussia, Poland, Ukraine, and West Russia along with the Home Fleet near Scotland and Task Force G near Gibraltar? I think all of those battles are quite safe for Germany. Germany loses about three planes and ends with 30+ infantry, 3 tanks, and 8 planes within two spaces of Moscow, whereas Russia only has about 10 inf, 2 tank, 2 planes left to defend. Russia can take back Caucasus on R1 but cannot stop Germany from stacking and keeping Caucasus on G2. Meanwhile, UK has 2 transports and 2 destroyers…not enough to build a fleet that can survive an air attack on G2. UK can make nuisance raids on western europe, but Germany can reconquer as needed with starting troops from Italy. A UK3 fleet that gets set to invade France on UK4 is too late; Moscow should fall by G4.

Am I miscalculating?

• '17 '16

@Argothair:

Looking at this now. Have you tested a German opening that pulls the Libya troops up to Caucasus on G1 while attacking Belorussia, Poland, Ukraine, and West Russia along with the Home Fleet near Scotland and Task Force G near Gibraltar? I think all of those battles are quite safe for Germany. Germany loses about three planes and ends with 30+ infantry, 3 tanks, and 8 planes within two spaces of Moscow, whereas Russia only has about 10 inf, 2 tank, 2 planes left to defend. Russia can take back Caucasus on R1 but cannot stop Germany from stacking and keeping Caucasus on G2. Meanwhile, UK has 2 transports and 2 destroyers…not enough to build a fleet that can survive an air attack on G2. UK can make nuisance raids on western europe, but Germany can reconquer as needed with starting troops from Italy. A UK3 fleet that gets set to invade France on UK4 is too late; Moscow should fall by G4.

Am I miscalculating?

I’m not quite sure to understand all your moves.
    If Karelia and Archangel are not attacked on G1, Soviet gets 3 Fgs and 1 TcB available.
    Taking Caucasus is not guaranteed, it depends on how many planes G wants to put in.
    Usually it means loosing at least 1, sometimes 2 planes to capture with 1 Tank.

UKs seems to have 3 Destroyers available, not 2.

What do you mean by Task Force G near Gibraltar?
    All Italian Navy have to attack Soviet Cruiser and Sub in Black Sea to allow an amphibious on Caucasus.

OK, you are right that I was underestimating Russia’s remaining forces – but I think I am still right about the overall strategy. I know that I made some mistakes for the Allies in this saved game, especially with unnecessarily losing some British transports to German subs, and I definitely would have needed to keep a couple of fighters and a couple of tanks back to defend Germany on the last turn (or maybe just build more infantry and fewer tanks on turn 3), but I took Russia on turn 4 with 24 German units left over – it was not close. Take a look! See how you would have defended Russia better with your setup.

My overall concern is that with this starting setup, you can take your starting German infantry and march to Moscow without ever needing to slow down – you can send a few infantry reinforcements via the Baltic and the Med, as you go, and you can send tank reinforcements that can catch up with the stack before they’re needed, so your infantry stack that starts in Berlin at setup is in the Baltic states at the end of G1, in Karelia at the end of G2, in Archangel at the end of G3, and in Moscow at the end of G4 – continuous motion toward the goal. Something needs to interfere with that for the game to be balanced/interesting.

Note that to save time, I did not play the Japanese or the Americans at all. I placed 100% of British income in Canada / UK and sent it all to kill Germany, with zero loss of British income from southern colonies, and I allowed Russia to withdraw 100% of its Siberian troops with zero loss of Siberian territory – I figure Japan and America are just busy with each other in the Pacific and can’t spare a thought for anything else.

dead moscow.png
    SanFran_1941_Alpha09Baron_test1.tsvg

Oh, and per your request, here is a new .xml file with the VC in Iceland instead of Ottawa, and with only control of Norway required to pass through the Kiel Canal (control of NW Europe is ignored).

San Fran 1941 Baron alpha v0.9.xml

• '17 '16

@Argothair:

Oh, and per your request, here is a new .xml file with the VC in Iceland instead of Ottawa, and with only control of Norway required to pass through the Kiel Canal (control of NW Europe is ignored).

Thank you very much.
    I’m working on your last report and trying to fix something out.
    I made many tries with your opening on Caucasus.
    Beyond 4th round, it is quite a stretch to foresee where UK can be.
    I assumed that if Russia can repel such 4th round assault, it is better than previous settings.
    Soviet Union gets a lot of action and many tactical choices whether to conquer or strafe a given TT. It is a real cat and mouse with Germany.

I prefer giving more Infantry and less Tank to Germany. It makes Germany’s purchase much more variable than before. Each turn, at least 2 Tanks are bought for Eastern Front.

Well, I agree that it is a challenge to predict exactly how far the UK can get against Germany, partly because it’s hard to play honestly against yourself, and partly because there are new tactical possibilities in this setup, and partly because we are leaving Japan and the USA out of our tests, and that will inevitably influence things.

I also agree that if Germany uses the Caucasus opening and fails to take Moscow on G4, then Germany will run very thin on troops and the Allies will be in an excellent position.

I don’t care very much one way or the other if you want to start Germany with mostly infantry and only a few tanks. There are pros and cons on both sides.

What I do care about is balance. I would be very, very surprised if this setup turns out to be balanced. I think you have made Germany much too powerful relative to Russia. I think Germany will be able to take Moscow on G4 in at least 90% of the games unless the USA and the UK both go heavy in the Atlantic – but if the UK and the USA goes heavy in the Atlantic, then Japan will quickly be able to take India, and that will create its own problems for the Allies.

I can think of a couple of ways to adjust the balance. One is to add a couple of Russian infantry to the Caucasus, so that it becomes hugely unprofitable for Germany to attack the Caucasus on G1. That would be straightforward, but boring – it essentially removes one of Germany’s options without creating any new ones.

Another way is to add more Russian infantry to Moscow, so that Moscow is more likely to hold on G4. Again, the problem with adding infantry to Moscow is that they can only do one thing – sit there and wait for the attack. Extra infantry might help Russia stack West Russia for longer, or trade the Caucasus longer, but mostly they are just there to guard the capital.

Another way is to remove a few German starting infantry, so that losses from an early push will be riskier and will destabilize Germany’s attacks at an earlier point. This is interesting, but swingy – if you happen to take early casualties as Germany, then you might get stuck turtling and have to hope you can hold the line until Japan becomes a monster, and if you happen to take very few early casualties, then you can just march right into Moscow on G4.

The last way is to build more resilience into Russia’s “second line of defense.” If there are some more starting troops in Archangel and West Russia and Kazakh, then even if Germany takes Leningrad and/or Stalingrad on G1, Russia will still have the option to counter-attack.

I realize that historically, Russia took enormous losses on the front lines in the first months of the war, and was not able to counter-attack effectively. But I am not really interested in forcing that result on the players and turning into a sacred script. In my opinion, this would simply transfer one of the biggest wastes of the classic versions (the scripted destruction of the British home fleet by the German air force on the first turn) from sea to land. Every game will see the scripted destruction of Russian tanks and planes by the German infantry in Eastern Europe. Why put all those pieces on the board only to take them off again before the Allies make any decisions? It is a waste. Every piece should be the subject of an interesting decision, or else there is no point in having the piece, and we can speed up the game and keep things simpler by doing without the piece. Or at least, that is my philosophy. I don’t know whether it is also your philosophy.

• '17 '16

@Argothair:

Well, I agree that it is a challenge to predict exactly how far the UK can get against Germany, partly because it’s hard to play honestly against yourself, and partly because there are new tactical possibilities in this setup, and partly because we are leaving Japan and the USA out of our tests, and that will inevitably influence things.

I also agree that if Germany uses the Caucasus opening and fails to take Moscow on G4, then Germany will run very thin on troops and the Allies will be in an excellent position.

I don’t care very much one way or the other if you want to start Germany with mostly infantry and only a few tanks. There are pros and cons on both sides.

What I do care about is balance. I would be very, very surprised if this setup turns out to be balanced. I think you have made Germany much too powerful relative to Russia. I think Germany will be able to take Moscow on G4 in at least 90% of the games unless the USA and the UK both go heavy in the Atlantic – but if the UK and the USA goes heavy in the Atlantic, then Japan will quickly be able to take India, and that will create its own problems for the Allies.

I can think of a couple of ways to adjust the balance. One is to add a couple of Russian infantry to the Caucasus, so that it becomes hugely unprofitable for Germany to attack the Caucasus on G1. That would be straightforward, but boring – it essentially removes one of Germany’s options without creating any new ones.

Another way is to add more Russian infantry to Moscow, so that Moscow is more likely to hold on G4. Again, the problem with adding infantry to Moscow is that they can only do one thing – sit there and wait for the attack. Extra infantry might help Russia stack West Russia for longer, or trade the Caucasus longer, but mostly they are just there to guard the capital.

Another way is to remove a few German starting infantry, so that losses from an early push will be riskier and will destabilize Germany’s attacks at an earlier point. This is interesting, but swingy – if you happen to take early casualties as Germany, then you might get stuck turtling and have to hope you can hold the line until Japan becomes a monster, and if you happen to take very few early casualties, then you can just march right into Moscow on G4.

The last way is to build more resilience into Russia’s “second line of defense.” If there are some more starting troops in Archangel and West Russia and Kazakh, then even if Germany takes Leningrad and/or Stalingrad on G1, Russia will still have the option to counter-attack.

I realize that historically, Russia took enormous losses on the front lines in the first months of the war, and was not able to counter-attack effectively. But I am not really interested in forcing that result on the players and turning into a sacred script. In my opinion, this would simply transfer one of the biggest wastes of the classic versions (the scripted destruction of the British home fleet by the German air force on the first turn) from sea to land. Every game will see the scripted destruction of Russian tanks and planes by the German infantry in Eastern Europe. Why put all those pieces on the board only to take them off again before the Allies make any decisions? It is a waste. Every piece should be the subject of an interesting decision, or else there is no point in having the piece, and we can speed up the game and keep things simpler by doing without the piece. Or at least, that is my philosophy. I don’t know whether it is also your philosophy.

Hi Argo,
    I played many simulations with the basic G1 Caucasus invasion (and assuming Norway Infantry abandoning its station: All Baltic fleet is blocked and cannot fight UK’s growing fleet). And I tweaked things along many of your suggestions above.
    I’m sure it is not balanced yet, but way better.

With the actual high number of Infantry, G2-G3 is able to get West Russia or Caucasus, Karelia and sometimes Archangel.
    Then R2 Soviet attack and repel the German invasion. It quite depict the turning point around December 1941.
    It provides the Eastern front wave I was looking for. On G3, Germany can decide to halt and hold the line or put some buffer zone instead of fully attack. Or put some Sub in water while progressing less aggressively. Germany has enough Infantry to hold. But this give more time to Soviet to reinforce its defensive line (adding 6 or 7 Infantry).

I changed the initial distribution of planes for Soviet to give a better historical picture: more attacking planes than Fighter. If planes survive, there is a chance that Soviet can use TcB combined with Tank to maximum Attack @4 effect. (Something very unusual in previous OOB games.) Also, if Karelia and Archangel are untouched, Soviet Air gets 2 Fgs and 2 TcBs, which is nicely balanced to always get A4 with TcBs.

I reduced Finland to 3 Infantry but increase Caucasus by 1 AAA.
    (That way, if Karelia is not attacked, Soviet has only 4 ground units to counter attack from Karelia and up to 2 Tanks.)
    Also, I reduced by 1 U-boat in Iceland SZ.
    Vologda gains 1 Tank, Kazakh SSR & Novosibirsk gain 1 Inf and Russia gets 1 additional Artillery.

I also gave 1 StB for both UK and Soviet.
    (I want this new unit to be available to all, so it can be tested from all perspectives.)
    IDK the ratio of UK and Germany StBs fleet. I presume UK is higher on that set. Certainly higher than Soviet.
    So, if you feel G needs one more, I’m OK with this.

Another question, I know you don’t want TP in Indian SZ, but what about adding 1 UK’s unescorted TP in SZ 27 on west coast of South Africa?
    It gives another target for South Atlantic U-boat, increasing dilemma for Germany.
    If it survives, this TP can be useful against IJN in UK3 and 4. This unit gives more room for UK to built warships or ground units in India or ANZAC.

So, now, Germany has to choose what to do with its Air fleet.
    1- Destroying UK’s fleet (More Soviet planes survives) but Soviet can make a much harder time with a lot of Air strafing counter. Maybe strafing both Belorussia and Ukraine?
    2- Killing Soviet Air fleet (More UK’s fleet survives) but Soviet can make a strafing counter-attack on either Belorussia or Ukraine.
    3- G1 Karelia push (UK’s fleet partly survives and Caucasian troops can make a counter-attack)
    4- G1 amphibious Caucasian gambit (UK’s fleet partly survives and Karelian Fg is safe, and Soviet can make a strafing counter on Belorussia)

The way I saw the freedom of choice, is not about whether or not Germany is doing Barbarossa, it is about what options remaining once players knew what happens after initial assault. Dice makes for different depictions of this Eastern Front.
    From total surprise: all Germans’ attacks went well with no or few casualties to total blunder because (trying to push too hard) German’s losses were hard on Air fleet.

Soviet player will have to deal with remnants of Eastern front Red Army, and decide to counter attack or retreat according to the number of planes left.
    This variability, from only 2 (Fg & TcB) to 3, 4 or even 5!, is what make the change for Soviet player.
    IMO, it is not the same kind of play when you get a much mobile attacking force.

Here is the file put on the new map you send me.

There is additional units in India and ANZAC to relief a bit UK for a KGF (and not making it too much of a free pass for IJN troops in Okinawa and Carolina’s: 4 Infs + 2 Artillery. vs 2 Infs or 1 Inf+1 Art+ 1 AAA + 1 Fg).

I also tried to make Pearl appears much like harboring Battleships and not making San Francisco SZ and fleet appealing to raid (for 3 Fgs and 3 TcBs coming from IJN Carriers in Iwo and Okinawa).
    Japan gets one more Artillery in Formosa for initial assault on Islands, so Air can be use on enemy’s fleet.
    Also, I added 1 Carrier on both side for IJN (in Formosa SZ with only 1 TcB to keep same 1 TcB+1Fg against UK’s BB) and USAN.
    This better depict balance of forces in PTO (US and IJN have same number of Battleships) while allowing Japan to keep 1 more Carrier than US+UK combined.
    I also learned that Hawaiian Sub harbor was almost empty during Pearl raid. But there was many Allies Submarines coming from Dutch to protect money Islands.

That way, if IJN goes toward Midway with 2 Carriers and a lot of DDs and both Cruisers, it can make an interesting balanced naval combat between US and IJN.

Also, it allows US to have a viable starting fleet and more options if they decide to KGF.

SanFran1941_Baron_Alpha02.png
    SanFran1941_Baron_Alpha02.tsvg

• '17 '16

Do you have an issue if UK is grabbing Brazil on UK1?
    And more South American neutrals after?

Persia being under Soviet influence on R1?

Also, on Oztea’s 1941 Global setup, Sumatra (4), Borneo (4) and Celebes (3) are UK’s while Java (4) is ANZAC along with Dutch New Guinea.
    Are you sure that before June 22nd 1941, Dutch autonomous government in Far East didn’t ask for Allies (UK) protection of East Indies and Borneo?

In 1941, Borneo was divided between the Dutch East Indies and British protectorates (North Borneo, Sarawak and Brunei) and crown colonies (Labuan).

The so-called “White Rajahs”, the Brooke family, had ruled Sarawak, on the northwest of Borneo, for almost a century, first as Rajahs under the Sultanate of Brunei (a by then tiny but once powerful state entirely enclosed within the borders of Sarawak), and from 1888 as a protectorate of the British Empire. The northeast of the island comprised North Borneo, since 1882 another British protectorate under the British North Borneo Company. Offshore lay the small British crown colony of Labuan.

The rest of the island collectively known as Kalimantan was under Dutch control. The Netherlands were invaded by Nazi Germany in 1940. However, Free Dutch forces mainly the Royal Netherlands Navy and the 85,000-strong Royal Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL, including a small air service) fought on, spread throughout the Dutch East Indies, and by December 1941 under an embryonic and somewhat chaotic joint allied command which became the short-lived American-British-Dutch-Australian Command (ABDACOM).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Borneo_(1941–42)

Once you had told me what changes you like and keep and others I should revert back, we will probably be ready for a one-on-one game test.

If you agree to play an on and off playtest and explained me how this work on this forum, I would like.
    In that game, we should use VCs bonus.

(Eventually, Ploesti should become VCs instead of Warsaw, Poland.)
    Also, Fighter should not be able to shot Anti-Sub Attack and Defense @1 on Submarines, only Tactical Bombers.
    Their basic defense @4 is enough in Naval combat.

I added a picture and saved game of how far I would go to help UK on ETO side, not having to invest too much in PTO.
    This change many things, I would understand if you rather going with V02 instead of this V03.
    For example, I put 3 AAAs in India, to compensate for the M3 TP and numerous carriers and planes available to Japan.
    This might help India survive longer.
    I made Sinkiang 2 Infantry.
    Added a TcB in Australia. It will help attack IJN warships in South Pacific, once moved to Darwin (Western Australia on 1942.2 map). And also depict all Allies Bombers posted there during war.
    Placed lonely TP in South Africa, increase 1 DD to UK’s Carrier in the other SZ.

Changed the Borneo status from Neutral to UK, but I put 4 damage on London’s IC.

I’m first looking to get the best picture possible from historical POV before balancing and cutting units out. It seems that giving more options for Allies (which imply more starting units) can still be possible as long as Axis keep the initiative in turn order. Of course the first round is a long one, but things get clearer and clearer with rounds going up.

Japan has a lot of options between money islands, shuting down New Zealand or Hawaiian Factory, going north in Alaska or south in Malaya and Burma. 4 Carriers makes IJN less stranded but US get a working fleet on start. I don’t want to make as OOB UK’s total wreckage on US. In addition, if one Carrier is sacrificed in US1, it works according to historical timeline since Lexington and Yorktown were sunk early 1942.

If possible, I would like to give more actions for US in ATO at the start of US1.
    That’s why I replaced 1 Destroyer for 1 Carrier.
    I believe Germany can sustained this early action.
    The US1 OOB stagnation is one thing which is not cool from this game. US player already have to wait until the end of the round to play. It needs something to toy with. In addition, many US Carriers were along the US East Coast at the beginning of the war. So, making a small working fleet on the outset seems more interesting.
    Also, it increase Fg and TcB range. Now, they can reach UK directly: another option about these two planes to move in PTO or keep in ATO. Now this choice is less easier than previously where there was no place to go, except Gibraltar.

SanFran1941_Baron_Alpha03.png
    SanFran1941_Baron_Alpha03.tsvg

This is a very interesting setup you’ve produced.

I don’t mind if Britain grabs South America or if Russia grabs Persia. Russia did in fact have a zone of influence in Persia, and there’s no special reason why it couldn’t have been larger. South America was on reasonably good terms with Britain before the 1980s Falkland war, and there’s no special reason why they couldn’t have gone British. If Roosevelt said no, because of the Monroe Doctrine or whatever, then it would not have happened, but the USA letting Britain back into the Western Hemisphere can be thought of as a kind of symbolic lend-lease. It is slightly more natural for Brazil to align with the USA, and it is also much easier for America to find a spare transport to claim Brazil (or to simply march down infantry from Panama). I also think giving Borneo to the UK while leaving Java neutral is fine.

I will move the Warsaw VC to Ploesti – I just forgot.

There are parts of the new setup that I like; having an Axis East Africa is fun, and I think eastern Europe looks about right, and having 2 British DDs near Singapore with 1 British BB near India also feels right, and even the Chinese front looks pretty good.

I do not like the Pacific Ocean setup – it is just way too busy. I don’t think players will have fun trying to figure out all the different tactical combinations they can use to attack each other; instead they will just get a headache. The screen is too small and the face-to-face map is too small to accommodate that many units, even if it is just for the starting setup. I also do not see that there are that many strategic options for Japan on J1 in the Pacific…Japan will definitely want to hit the 2 USA battleships at Pearl Harbor, and Japan will definitely not want to hit the main US Pacific Fleet in San Diego, and Japan will not be able to reach the US South Pacific Fleet in SZ 42. The rest is just details – do you kill a fighter on Wake Island or a fighter on Midway? Do you kill a destroyer in Singapore, or a destroyer in the Coral Sea? Do you want to attack at total of three destroyers, or a total of four destroyers? Very nitpicky little details. This is stuff that the Japanese player is going to spend a lot of time thinking about when it’s his turn, but it’s not stuff that players will have fun dissecting in the forums with each other or thinking about on the bus on the way to the game. Instead of a clear, interesting decision to go down one of three or four roads, Japan has one major highway that it must go down, and all Japan gets to decide is which lane or lanes to use on that highway.

As far as balance, there are so many units on the board that I cannot tell who if anyone has an advantage, but here is one observation: Japan starts with 15 IPCs of income to USA’s 40 IPCs of income. With a carrier group and a loaded transport sitting in the Eastern US sea zone at game start, America does not really need to invest much to run Operation Torch – maybe buy 1 transport and 1 artillery on US1, and then two infantry on US2. That’s pretty much all you need; a total investment of $17 on top of your starting units should get you control of north Africa unless Germany does something crazy. Over the first couple of turns, America will probably lose $4 or $5 from the Philippines and China while gaining $6 or $7 from Latin America, so the USA winds up stabilizing at about $42 per turn. If Japan takes Soviet Far East, Buryatia, Anhwei, Yunnan, Kwangtung, the Philippines, Burma, Java, Borneo, New Guinea, Hawaii, and Malaya while losing nothing, that puts Japan at about $36 per turn…noticeably less than the USA. Meanwhile, Japan starts the game with only $4 of extra Total Unit Value (TUV) compared to the Americans. They can increase that on J1 by killing US Battleships at Pearl Harbor with subs and planes – call that a $30 swing for Japan. Japan can also kill the US Philippine fleet at a modest profit because of the poorly defended transport – call that another $10. And Japan can afford to pick off one or two or maybe even three of the American destroyers and island ‘airbases’ in the central Pacific – call that another $20 of profit. So Japan will be up something like $4 + $30 + $10 + $20 = $64 in TUV at the end of J1 as against America alone. Japan will probably lose at least some of that to the US1 counter-attack, unless Japan is perfectly positioned for defense. Japan will also ‘lose’ about $5 per turn just because America is out-earning Japan, even after accounting for the money that America has to spend in the Atlantic. So Japan has a very, very modest advantage against America. It’s not obvious to me that Japan will get any great follow-up attacks against America on J2. Szechuan should hold on J2 unless Japan goes 100% against China, and the united US Pacific fleet (even after the loss of the Hawaiian battleships) should easily be able to hold against any possible J2 attacks in San Francisco or perhaps even in Hawaii.

So assuming America sends most of its cash west against Japan, what will Japan have left over to make gains against the beefed-up British colonies and the reasonably strong Siberian Russian forces and the beefed-up Chinese army? Japan can maybe afford to refill two of its transports each turn and unload them in mainland Asia to keep up the fight in China. The rest of Japan’s cash has to go into navy/air builds, or the US + ANZAC navy starts reclaiming the money islands as early as UK3/US3. This means that Japan can forget about building more transports, or building factories, or anything aggressive like that. Japan is balanced on a razor’s edge – if they don’t send enough land units into Asia, they’ll be thrown back on some of the Asian fronts and will drop too far below the USA in income to be competitive, but if they don’t send enough naval units into the Pacific, then they’ll be pushed out of the money islands, and, again, they will drop too far below the USA in income to be competitive. Starting with 4 carrier groups vs. the USA’s 2 carrier groups gives Japan a little bit of time, but the full British carrier group near South Africa becomes relevant as early as UK2, and the USA has a geographical advantage in China: Japan has to defend a bunch of 2-IPC and 3-IPC territories, but the USA only has to defend 1-IPC territories, so the USA can neglect China a bit if it wants to, but Japan has to defend the Chinese coast or it loses its income. Similarly, in Indonesia, Japan is fighting to defend the 3-IPC and 4-IPC money islands, but ANZAC is defending a bunch of 1-IPC territories. Japan can win on 2 fronts (China, Indonesia, Buryatia) and lose in 1 of them, and still wind up losing the game. I think all of this adds up to a major Allied advantage in the Pacific. I’m not sure there is a corresponding Axis advantage in the Atlantic – I think the European Theater of Operations looks pretty balanced.

I am not totally sold on nerfing fighters to lose the anti-sub capability. I think it can be too hard to hunt down subs as it is. I send 2 destroyers and a tac bomber against your 1 sub, and the sub has a 50% chance to survive. I send 4 destroyers and 2 tac bombers against 3 subs, and you probably wind up with 1 or 2 subs left. Meanwhile, flip that around to be 1 sub attacking 1 DD + 1 transport, and the sub gets very good economic odds. So your subs are tying up 3x or 4x their cost in defensive boats and planes, and it’s still not a given that the defenses will actually work.

I would prefer to see subs be (a) deadly if left unattended, but (b) vulnerable and weak if the defenders invest big bucks in anti-sub defenses.

Overall you have some very interesting ideas, and I’m glad we’ve been able to work on this together. :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m