Young Grasshopper's G40 2017 Invitational Prize Packets Painted by John Brown

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Another picture!

IMG_1318 (2).JPG

Fourth Prize Packet : Consists of another German Graf Zeppelin Carrier, painted in a alternative Grey camo scheme. This prize also consists of a Bf-109 fighter and Ju-87G stuka tac bomber in the gray camo scheme, with yellow as well.

IMG_1321.JPG

Another picture of it!

IMG_1320 (2).JPG

Fifth Prize Packet : Consists of a French battleship called the, “Alsace,” and a sub-cruiser called, “surcouff.” This prize packet will come with rules on how to play the sub-cruiser, which also comes from historical board gaming.

The decks on this were to become a bluish or green camo color, but the blue color, I used, made it more black looking. I left it alone, because I thought it looked really good. Hope who wins this likes the scheme as well. :-D

IMG_1311.JPG

Sixth and Final Prize Packet : 2 German sea planes with rules.

Guys, I hope you like these prizes. :-D

To the rest of you, I took these photos, so you could see my work, if you couldn’t make it. I hope you all enjoyed the pictures.

John, signing off!

IMG_1316.JPG

• Thanks for the pics!  A footnote to project Habakkuk is that it involved a WWII shooting incident similar to one which occurred in WWI, though they involved very different technologies.  The Habakkuk concept of building what was essentially an artificial iceberg and using it as an aircraft carrier was developed around a material called pykrete, which was basically a mixture of sawdust and water frozen into a block of ice.  Its inventor once staged a misguided demonstration of how hard (rougly the equivalent of concrete) this material was: he fired a pistol at a block of the stuff in the presence of some high-level military brass, and the ricocheting projectile almost ended up in Admiral Ernest J. King’s leg.  The WWI counterpart to this incident was a ground test of an experimental system designed to allow a fighter pilot to fire a machine gun straight ahead from his cockpit, despite the fact that the whirling propeller of his plane was directly in front of him.  Rather than being an interrupter gear (the eventual correct solution to the problem), however, the system involved attaching triangular steel deflectors to the back of the propeller blades.  You can imagine what happened when a ground demonstration of this idiotic idea was conducted with live ammunition in front of an audience of military personnel.

• Sponsor

WOW John, those are absolutely incredible… Thank you so much. It’s gestures like these that’s really gonna make this event more than just another competition, it will be a great summit for enthusiasts of Axis & Allies. So proud to have your customizations there as part of it.

Cheers,

YG.

@CWO:

Thanks for the pics!  A footnote to project Habakkuk is that it involved a WWII shooting incident similar to one which occurred in WWI, though they involved very different technologies.  The Habakkuk concept of building what was essentially an artificial iceberg and using it as an aircraft carrier was developed around a material called pykrete, which was basically a mixture of sawdust and water frozen into a block of ice.  Its inventor once staged a misguided demonstration of how hard (rougly the equivalent of concrete) this material was: he fired a pistol at a block of the stuff in the presence of some high-level military brass, and the ricocheting projectile almost ended up in Admiral Ernest J. King’s leg.  The WWI counterpart to this incident was a ground test of an experimental system designed to allow a fighter pilot to fire a machine gun straight ahead from his cockpit, despite the fact that the whirling propeller of his plane was directly in front of him.  Rather than being an interrupter gear (the eventual correct solution to the problem), however, the system involved attaching triangular steel deflectors to the back of the propeller blades.  You can imagine what happened when a ground demonstration of this idiotic idea was conducted with live ammunition in front of an audience of military personnel.

I knew little history of what the carrier’s structure was made of, but that was about it. Thanks for the further history lesson on it. That had to be something to see, involving shooting incident.

Thanks again for the info. :-)

John

@Young:

WOW John, those are absolutely incredible… Thank you so much. It’s gestures like these that’s really gonna make this event more than just another competition, it will be a great summit for enthusiasts of Axis & Allies. So proud to have your customizations there as part of it.

Cheers,

YG.

Thanks YG, I was hoping you would like these pieces. Glad I could be a part of this in some small way. Use the system you were telling about when it comes to these prizes.

I just wanted you to know that they are grouped in a certain way and the rules on some pieces are labeled to which pieces that it pertains to.

That is all I was trying to say.

Everything is labeled.

Thanks YG for letting me be a part of this.

Cheers! :-D

John

• '17 '16 Customizer

Great to see more painted units! And thanks for the Invitational gift John!

@siredblood:

Great to see more painted units! And thanks for the Invitational gift John!

Your welcome. Glad you like them. :-)

Hey guys, I just provided my first official link to a forum, on the first page.

Some of you have already seen this video of YG’s, but those of you that haven’t.

Here it is.

Cheers!

John

PS As some of you know, I’m not very good at computers or technology, but this a big step for me, lol, so thanks to the guys on the forums that have helped me with this sort of thing.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

Sweet!  Nice job, John!  Don’t you just love the HBG Stukas?  Lots of great detail on those pieces.

@DMcLaren:

Sweet!�  Nice job, John!�  Don’t you just love the HBG Stukas?�  Lots of great detail on those pieces.

They are my favorite planes, of the war, because they wail, like banshees. They are fun to paint as well. They just look mean and nasty, lol. :-D

Appreciate the comments. You must have been busy the last few days. Haven’t seen any of your work.

Are you and your friend painting anything, this week?

• John BrownJ John Brown referenced this topic on

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m