• @rjclayton:

Never heard of your version of it :|

I probably shouldn’t have read these boards after smoking crack.  :evil:

• 2007 AAR League

Spartan,

Low Luck requires that you pay very close attention to everything on the board. I would recommend that you not play Low Luck until you are familiar with the more advanced techniques in the game. You can sometimes get away with mistakes using ADS but Low Luck is far less forgiving. You either have to play mistake free or you will lose a lot.

• There are still situations with enough luck left in LowLuck. Especially naval battles, where 1-2 submarines roll dice separately from the rest of ships/air. Your 2 subs missing (2/6 chance) and opponent 1 sub hitting (2/6) also with victims removed before normal fire, can cascade seriously into a disaster in further rounds of firing, not far from ‘regular’ dice.
    Obviously, battles between lone units (DD vs tra in Kwantung, sub vs tra) are exactly the same risk.

4 German fighters guarantee killing the Med BB (but not 1 sub, 3 fighters !).

With Low Luck, the 3-area Russian attack (UKR-WRU-BEL) is also assured of working (but with not a few casualties).

Leaving medium-sized forces (say 5 units) is a blunder now, as enemy can bring a raid force to take out certainly 4 units (e.g. 3inf,3art,4tnk) then retreat. With Regular Luck, that defender was protected by the cloud of uncertainty, and the raider could not bring too much offensive power for the risk of doing “too well” (!) killing all defenders and being stuck with expensive units in a dead zone.

Small deadzone swapping is more effective. Either 1inf+1ftr or 1inf+1tnk hit at one 4/6 ~ 67% instead of separate 1/6 and 3/6 (overall chance of at least one hit 21/36 ~ 58%). 1inf+1art is still 4/6 while with Regular dice it would have been 20/36 ~ 56%).

Grouped transport ships (3-4) are a better deterrent against lone fighters or bombers. The average is the same, but with Low Luck it’s concentrated into getting 1 hit, while with regular dice some of the hits were “wasted” by overkills of 2, 3… hits.

Other significant differences in strategies, openings etc. ?

• :-o
      All that has been stated is true. I can only add that what it boils down to is economics of your resources/units. By reducing unneccesary wasteage, you can use spare units in other battles, thereby increasing the amount of damage that can be done to your opponents, and roll more die!  :-D
      LL lets you know if you are using a sound strategy or not. I can’t cry, “bad dice”, as easily when I lose.
      C.I.  :roll:

• @SpartanJD01:

@rjclayton:

Never heard of your version of it :|

I probably shouldn’t have read these boards after smoking crack.  :evil:

Silence, foo!  Wat you should do is smoke MORE crack then read the boards.

• All Low Luck does is change the game to be more predictable. 
    Being a Low Luck player has nothing to do with using sound strategies or not.

I dunno, some players say they are SUPERIOR tacticians because they play Low Luck.  I think the opposite.  :lol:

• @newpaintbrush:

All Low Luck does is change the game to be more predictable. 
    Being a Low Luck player has nothing to do with using sound strategies or not.

I dunno, some players say they are SUPERIOR tacticians because they play Low Luck.  I think the opposite.   :lol:

I agree.  Good players can adapt to bad (good) dice.

Rarely do battles in war go EXACTLY to plan as Low Luck implements.

• You guys are doing an excellent job of posting the perspective I was advocating when I had many arguments with Agent Smith over low luck lat year.

GOOD players can adapt, unless the dice go completely rancid (two back to back force decimations in Ukraine on R1 and G1 comes to mind…)  :wink:

• I guess we don’t need a war college then. Just throw everything we have at the enemy and hope for the best?

• @Crazy:

I guess we don’t need a war college then. Just throw everything we have at the enemy and hope for the best?

You mean you don’t play that way?

Sarcasm aside, that really is all that any of us do in this game… send the troops and hope for the best.  The skill comes in to deciding WHICH TROOPS WHERE AND WHEN.  And in ADS, that can be a very fluid thing, far less so than in LL.

• @ncscswitch:

GOOD players can adapt, unless the dice go completely rancid (two back to back force decimations in Ukraine on R1 and G1 comes to mind…)   :wink:

even if its ransid, even if you loose that game,  you still had a great chance to improve your play, with situation that is more difficult there is a bigger chance of improving the play since you have to pull out some new solutions or simply outsmart your opponent :wink:

i agree with you folk, low luck isnt that good as it seems, axis and allies isnt chess, its axis and allies :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m