I hate Avalon Hill's choice of colors!

• As promised here is the contrast

Left to right Russian, Italian, Japanese UK and Anzac

IMG_2189.JPG

• '17 '16

Did you repaint the UK? cuz the UK unit looks different from my memory and the ANZAC kinda looks like I thought UK should be…

• Yes…I repainted all my units….My Germans are Dark grey as I have my SS units in black for games I play with my house rules

• '17 '16

Ah, okay, gotcha… what’s your process?  Spray Paint, Primer and Spray Paint?  Out of a can, or airbrush? Or (gulp) handpainted with an old-school brush!?!? lolz.

• Spray paint….and matte finish spray after to seal…Some of the colors don’t need the matte…keep their colors pretty strongly…for example my German grey, US and Russians need to be sealed…they don’t maintain well…Using a primer never hurts though

• I prefer the original Milton Bradley German Grey, the MB Mustard Yellow for Japan, and the Milton Bradley Brown for Russia. All other colors are fine, except Anzac should not be grey, but cream or whatever.

• '17 '16

@Imperious:

I prefer the original Milton Bradley German Grey, the MB Mustard Yellow for Japan, and the Milton Bradley Brown for Russia. All other colors are fine, except Anzac should not be grey, but cream or whatever.

I kinda like the current German Black, but MB’s German Grey wasn’t bad either… the other MB colors were also pretty good, but they probably had to ditch the Japanese Yellow for PC reasons.

You didn’t mention the Italians though… in your perfect world, what default color would the Italians be?

• Yellow Japanese is represents the rays of the rising sun, not the color of skin.

Italy should be the green from their flag, or very light grey

• '17 '16

@Imperious:

Yellow Japanese is represents the rays of the rising sun, not the color of skin.

Italy should be the green from their flag, or very light grey

But by that same thought, the Japanese flag isn’t yellow… and green Italians would look terrible when the Green Americans invade North Africa and Italy

• MB Classic got the colors correct. Should have sticked to that. Germans got field grey uniforms, make Germany dark grey, Italians got light grey uniforms, make them light grey, Brits got khaki uniforms, make them khaki, French got blue uniforms, make them blue, US got green uniforms, make them green, Japs got yellow uniforms, make them yellow, Russians got brown uniforms, make them brown, this is very simple logik. Easy to understand.

• @Narvik:

MB Classic got the colors correct. Should have sticked to that. Germans got field grey uniforms, make Germany dark grey, Italians got light grey uniforms, make them light grey, Brits got khaki uniforms, make them khaki, French got blue uniforms, make them blue, US got green uniforms, make them green, Japs got yellow uniforms, make them yellow, Russians got brown uniforms, make them brown, this is very simple logik. Easy to understand.

Agree on all but like Burgandy for Russia

• '17 '16

@Narvik:

MB Classic got the colors correct. Should have sticked to that. Germans got field grey uniforms, make Germany dark grey, Italians got light grey uniforms, make them light grey, Brits got khaki uniforms, make them khaki, French got blue uniforms, make them blue, US got green uniforms, make them green, Japs got yellow uniforms, make them yellow, Russians got brown uniforms, make them brown, this is very simple logik. Easy to understand.

I’m perfectly ok with that!

• '17 '16

Alright… slowly moving forward here… i’ve chosen my colors to work with… i’m going with…

Italy: Metallic Aluminum (despite sounding like a Heavy Metal band, it’s actually just a light grey, i’ve used this color before, and i like how it turns out)
    Australia: Satin Nutmeg (I wanted a color that was on the same shade-scale as UK Tan, and this is a little darker… I considered Warm Caramel, nice as it is, but it’s a little too dark and a bit close to Russia’s colors… i wanted a unique color that would not get confused with any other nations, but still blended well with the UK, and Nutmeg looks like it will do… I thought of a lighter color than UK Tan for Australia, but that would start involving beige’s, whites and pastels… not really what i was wanting for the Aussies).

Make take awhile to get all these done properly, but I will post results when completed.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '18 Customizer

I just made my own bootleg Italians with Krylon “Classic Grey-” this was a $4 Walmart special.

Between my copies of AAR, AA42, AA41, and AA42.2, I was able to scrounge up more than enough ugly/unique sculpts to give those backward stepchildren of the Axis their own tantalizingly un-purchasable and 1942.2-ready complement of 3 BB (Axis BBs from 41), 5 CA (cut the masts off some small UK/RU BBs from AAR _, 6 TR (axis TR from 41), 8 art (japan AAR) and 4 Bmr (axis '41 bmrs). The rest of the forces are donated with love from AAR Germany, including the 88’s that finally get to serve their intended AAA purposes in the Italian army.

Pictures when I can._

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m