1.9 does not allow me to open maps (MALFORMED)

• '15

How interesting.  I was able to open a saved game (one created with the new engine) and everything appears to be working fine.  I just can’t create one from scratch, as it were.

• @Shin:

I went ahead and deleted all traces of the 1.809 install along with all traces of the newer one.� And then reinstalled.� Sadly, I seem to be getting the same error.

Interestingly, the C:\users"user"\triplea\downloadedMaps folder no longer exists.

I really appreciate your help, P@nther!� Sorry to be a bother.

Never mind, it’s always a nice challenge to get these things solved. ;-)

Next attempt:

Please download and install this newer version as a fresh install:
    https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/releases/download/1.9.0.0.3755/TripleA_1.9.0.0.3755_windows-64bit.exe

Then download the Global (containing BM) map using the ingame downloader and retry.
    Please look at the engine preferences/ engine settings / folders where the map install directory is supposed to be.

Please report back.

Late night now here in Germany, so I will be back to you tomorrow … good luck!

• @Shin:

How interesting.  I was able to open a saved game (one created with the new engine) and everything appears to be working fine.  I just can’t create one from scratch, as it were.

Interesting… please try the newer version as mentioned above…
    This is the version that I am using at the moment, and that opens and starts the latest BM without issues (at least on my PC).

• '19 '17 '16

What platform is this on? Windows? I can’t reproduce the problem on 32bit Linux.

If the install doesn’t create the downloadedMaps directory, that seems wrong.

• '19 '17 '16

One suggestion I would have is to download the map from github: https://github.com/triplea-maps/world_war_ii_global

Click clone/download and download zip would probably be the easiest way. Then make sure the zip is in the map download folder and called “world_war_ii_global-master.zip”

• @simon33:

If the install doesn’t create the downloadedMaps directory, that seems wrong.

Yes Simon, on Windows this might happen when installing without granting administrator rights.

Shin Ji, have you granted administrator rights to the installer when installing?

This is mandatory on Windows.

Either confirm the UAC-prompt when installing or run the installer as administrator.

Also:

@Shin:

Interestingly, the C:\users"user"\triplea\downloadedMaps folder no longer exists.

@Shin:

And I should specify that I downloaded the map from inside the TripleA program.

So where on your harddrive did this map that you downloaded land then? Please check:

@P@nther:

Please look at the engine preferences/ engine settings / folders where the map install directory is supposed to be.

Sorry to ask that many details… but it probably helps getting behing this issue…

• In case we still have no success, I would additionally like to know:

What are the steps you are doing until the error message occurs?
    What action triggers the error message?

There is no error when you just start TripleA 1.9, right?
    I am assuming this because you say you can load savegames. Are these 1.8 savegames or 1.9 savegames?
    Also you are able to access the ingame downloader and download maps.

Apart from the savegames:
    Can you select a map?
    Can you start a Local Game?

Please describe as detailled as possible what you are actually doing.

• '15

@P@nther:

@Shin:

I went ahead and deleted all traces of the 1.809 install along with all traces of the newer one.� And then reinstalled.� Sadly, I seem to be getting the same error.

I really appreciate your help, P@nther!� Sorry to be a bother.

Never mind, it’s always a nice challenge to get these things solved. ;-)

Next attempt:

Please download and install this newer version as a fresh install:
    https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/releases/download/1.9.0.0.3755/TripleA_1.9.0.0.3755_windows-64bit.exe

Then download the Global (containing BM) map using the ingame downloader and retry.

Please report back.

Late night now here in Germany, so I will be back to you tomorrow … good luck!

Working my way through these ideas.  Installed the version above (as an admin) and downloaded the map with the ingame system, but then discovered that it was set to download to my general download directory (D:/downloads).  So I’m going to have to change that.  Stuck on super slow internet, so it may take a moment.

I’m running Windows 7 Professional.  So far the issue persists, but y’all have given several good ideas!  I will keep trying.

• '15

It WORKS!  We did it!

Thank you all so much.  It seems that installing the version that P@nther posted, and changing the map downloads directory (not sure how that got changed in the first place!) fixed the issue entirely.

Everything is working fine now.  Thank you so much, P@nther and Simon33 for your time and effort!

• @Shin:

It WORKS!  We did it!

Thank you all so much.  It seems that installing the version that P@nther posted, and changing the map downloads directory (not sure how that got changed in the first place!) fixed the issue entirely.

Everything is working fine now.  Thank you so much, P@nther and Simon33 for your time and effort!

Great, congrats!  I am glad we figured it out.

Now enjoy gaming :-)

• You all round rock!

Glad to have you all!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m